Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I hope that this message doesn't get lost. I think that the point is that it wasn't so much GPs or the NHS or even NICE who had the most influence at that time. This stuff became insidious, it was in our living rooms and on the radio at work.
Say something long enough and often enough and it can become part of the collective psyche.

Reactions: jjraak and Flora123

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Guzzler . A good point.
I personally think that black box in the corner can be far to big a part of our lives than it should be.
What would be interesting to find out is. Who was deciding on the content of these programs?
The NHS and worldwide healthy organisations ?
The big pharmaceutical companies?
The government in this country and other countries?
Or was it the TV companies following what was believed to be right in society at the time?
It’s all history now and can’t be altered.
Tomorrow can be changed but how many people will switch off those TV’s tonight? Theoretically of course. We watch and listen now. Will a similar topic surface again in another 40 yrs?
Will diets publicised currently be blamed for health issues in 30 yrs time?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Guzzler . A good point.
I personally think that black box in the corner can be far to big a part of our lives than it should be.
What would be interesting to find out is. Who was deciding on the content of these programs?
The NHS and worldwide healthy organisations ?
The big pharmaceutical companies?
The government in this country and other countries?
Or was it the TV companies following what was believed to be right in society at the time?
It’s all history now and can’t be altered.
Tomorrow can be changed but how many people will switch off those TV’s tonight? Theoretically of course. We watch and listen now. Will a similar topic surface again in another 40 yrs?
Will diets publicised currently be blamed for health issues in 30 yrs time?
We are now in a different era, the era of information. Whether we make good use of the internet/global data etc is really up to us but I have to say that we have to, must, be signposted.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Buck Rodgers. Apparently he’s already in the 25th century. ;)

Nah, technically he's yet to wake up?
He's currently asleep in deep "cryogenic stasis" in this era. & has yet to inflict his late 20th century "values" on the child like "blinged" androids, or most possibly horse riding chimps..? ;)

A quick kick around the net on "soaps" throws up Ian Beal dub step remixes & "Game of thrones" killing traditional soaps?
Ahh, the "olden days." Folk ate proper food. :)

If you're affected by the subject matter in this program.
... Or just want the recipe for Betty's "hot pot?"

Click here. o_O

M

Member496333

Jock Ewing just had a heart attack :nurse:

I'm confident that he'll be adopting a low-fat diet in the next episode. Miss Ellie will make sure of it :shifty:

Updates to follow.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m equally fascinated by the way the portrayal of smoking and drinking has changed over the years.

Smoking was everywhere, and just part of life on screen, elegant leading ladies, heroic leading men... then people gradually stopped smoking so much, it became an unhealthy habit, and now the ones who puff do so in a way intended to describe their attitude to life. We just watched the latest Tarantino, where smoking and full ashtrays were clear signs of social degradation, professional failure and carelessness. Private Eyes smoke to show stress, moral ambiguity (from Randall and Hopkirk to the Dublin Murders) and the state of their soul (Constantine).
I can no longer watch a smoking scene without wondering if the actor inhales, and if they do whether there is a clause in their contract committing to future medical bills. Maybe Method actors just embrace the risk, to feel the character?

As for booze... everyone drank as part of everyday living (60s and before, cut glass decanters everywhere), then hardly anyone did (except for scenes in pubs and clubs), home drinkers became somehow morally lax, then we had Beaujolais on the national news, wine tasting evening classes in sitcoms, alcopops for the yoof, pictures of beer cans in recycling boxes and now Prosecco is a by word for Friday evening relaxation after a hard week of professional toil.

Script writers and journalists just sway with the current breeze for booze and cigs as much as fat intake.

Reactions: Little Bird
M

Member496333

I can no longer watch a smoking scene without wondering if the actor inhales, and if they do whether there is a clause in their contract committing to future medical bills. Maybe Method actors just embrace the risk, to feel the character?

This occurred to me not long ago when watching For All Mankind. It's an alternative-history, fictional TV drama set in the Apollo moon landings era (and it's excellent). Rampant smoking left & right by everyone, as you'd expect. But, I have a feeling that today's mega-budget movies and TV shows employ CGI to add the necessary effects to 'cigarette props' and even the exhaling of the smoke by actors. I know it sounds far fetched, but I already know it's been done to do things like add steam to supposedly hot drinks and the like. In 2020, all is not as it seems :D

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This occurred to me not long ago when watching For All Mankind. It's an alternative-history, fictional TV drama set in the Apollo moon landings era (and it's excellent). Rampant smoking left & right by everyone, as you'd expect. But, I have a feeling that today's mega-budget movies and TV shows employ CGI to add the necessary effects to 'cigarette props' and even the exhaling of the smoke by actors. I know it sounds far fetched, but I already know it's been done to do things like add steam to supposedly hot drinks and the like. In 2020, all is not as it seems :D
No need for CGI.....
https://gb-newrulefx.glopalstore.com/collections/actor-cigarette?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m equally fascinated by the way the portrayal of smoking and drinking has changed over the years.

Smoking was everywhere, and just part of life on screen, elegant leading ladies, heroic leading men... then people gradually stopped smoking so much, it became an unhealthy habit, and now the ones who puff do so in a way intended to describe their attitude to life. We just watched the latest Tarantino, where smoking and full ashtrays were clear signs of social degradation, professional failure and carelessness. Private Eyes smoke to show stress, moral ambiguity (from Randall and Hopkirk to the Dublin Murders) and the state of their soul (Constantine).

As for booze... everyone drank as part of everyday living (60s and before, cut glass decanters everywhere), then hardly anyone did (except for scenes in pubs and clubs), home drinkers became somehow morally lax, then we had Beaujolais on the national news, wine tasting evening classes in sitcoms, alcopops for the yoof, pictures of beer cans in recycling boxes and now Prosecco is a by word for Friday evening relaxation after a hard week of professional toil.

Script writers and journalists just sway with the current breeze for booze and cigs as much as fat intake.
Fake cigarettes which give off vapour.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Mission Control in Houston during the 60s was a tarpit. Very rare to find someone at the consoles who didn't smoke Jim.

Little Bird

@Guzzler .
Back in the 80’s we had far less choice. What was it, 4 channels?:)
Back then I think society influenced certain types of TV programs . Sit coms, dramas, soaps etc
Others may have differing opinions.:)
I agree I think society does influence tv, past and present, no money to made in tv no one is interested in. I also think the reverse is true also tv does influence society, don't get me started on the Kardashian's! And I think also influences what we think the past was like, did you ever see Life on Mars or Ashes to Ashes with Gene Hunt swaggering about with a ciggie in one hand and a pistol in the other! Was life ever really like that? Did that sexism really exist? The past apparently is a foreign country but I'm not sure it's one I'd like to visit!

D

Deleted member 308541

Did that sexism really exist? The past apparently is a foreign country but I'm not sure it's one I'd like to visit!
I suggest you do not watch Monty Pythons Flying Circus on Netflix then if you are easily offended.

At least Disney Plus warns of 'outdated cultural depictions' in some films.

Little Bird

I suggest you do not watch Monty Pythons Flying Circus on Netflix then if you are easily offended.

At least Disney Plus warns of 'outdated cultural depictions' in some films.
Welease Woderwick!!

And apparently every sperm is sacred!

No! I would never watch Monty Python, I'm far too refined!:)

And that parrot is not dead, he's pining for the fjords!

D

Deleted member 308541

No! I would never watch Monty Python, I'm far too refined!:)
I should have mentioned that it was the TV series that run over four seasons in the late 60's and early 70's, that I was on about not the movies that came out later.

Little Bird

I should have mentioned that it was the TV series that run over four seasons in the late 60's and early 70's, that I was on about not the movies that came out later.
I knew the first two quotes were from Life of Brian and the Meaning of life but I thought the parrot sketch was from the flying circus. It's so long since I watched any MP i can't really remember. Anyway I was just being playful, I loved Monty Python and Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes.for that matter. I have a pretty robust sense of humour usually. It's too much seriousness that upsets me! Life's too short. I get the impression you like a lark as well @Tipetoo :)

Apologies for going off topic:)

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

completely agree

(interesting topic @Jim Lahey )

it's just lazy tv that appeal to the NOW, and reflects it.

consider how little sex there was on shows at one time, and almost NO same sex kisses.

And re races, i remember reading on a similar note the effect Kirk had when he Kissed Uhuru on star trek,
imagine if he'd kissed Sulu instead back then...

no one bats an eye to such scenes nowadays, we have simply moved on.

now it;'s almost obligatory to have a storyline of sex, with M/F as well as same sex couples, more overt sexual content or close to the knuckle and some violence, (stabbing shootings)..even in the most innocuous shows..emmerdale for example
,eastenders and others sadly in the case of the stabbings/shooting, being reflective of society in general

what was deemed acceptable back then is no longer the case...love thy neighbour/alf garnett

and who knows what lifestyle choices the next shows will be promoting.
( And no one makes shows where they GUESS what people,want
certainly not these days, they KNOW what people want..Ok Facebookers/instagrammers/snapcaht/etc want and like most ...
but that's the targeted demographic for much of the media.)..

so i doubt a refresh of a disease that has an acceptable outcome of control via food and a change in diet, will feature highly in
their thoughts..after all at 20, your gonna live forever, right..:D

so if it hasn't happened,
(not really up on my soaps), i'd expect an activist aka thunberg style storyline to be present in many
if not all shows, as that is this gens story..who knows what other years will bring.

and as for the what will be on on 100 years time.

Can almost guarantee DAVE will still be showing re-runs of OFAH ;)...(the best of... aka the entire series's)

Reactions: Little Bird