Type 1'stars R Us

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Monday morning again, the weekend flies by. Sold out of the Iced coffee at 1.30pm yesterday, good for Sainsbury's, but a quiet afternoon for me.
School run done, but we had to take the scenic route back home, as there was an accident on the A road and the tailback was huge ! down a country lane, very wet weather, driver had to put his brakes on as a deer was on the road, it was so close, but startled and manged to jump back through the hedge and into the field, it looked so beautiful.:)
Rain is easing up a little, but need to get on with some house cleaning, wont take long to long, then lunch :hungry:
Hope you all have a great start to the week :)
Hi @Robinredbreast if you cannot get your iced Coffee at Sainsburys, Aldi and Lidl both do a nice range of iced coffees and at a fraction of the price

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @Robinredbreast if you cannot get your iced Coffee at Sainsburys, Aldi and Lidl both do a nice range of iced coffees and at a fraction of the price

Thanks, but i was promoting it with samples lol, I did have little taste on my break and it was quite nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, now this is enlightening. It's not me, it's you guys!
27656989_1374736152638011_7539646461594421950_n.png

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ANTJE 77 works for me with everything except the lump of bread. I was born in a bap area. I call it a bun and am probably now living on the bap/bun border

Reactions: Kim Possible

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, how is stress on jour sugar

Like everything diabetes related it's very individualistic, so I could say stress raises my BG levels then there'd be some come along and say it causes them to hypo like a good'un - why do you ask?

Dian Fourie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Like everything diabetes related it's very individualistic, so I could say stress raises my BG levels then there'd be some come along and say it causes them to hypo like a good'un - why do you ask?

Cause I stress often and my sugar is unstable

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Bap, barm and roll all work in our house.

Reactions: Marie 2

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bap, barm and roll all work in our house.
I wish even one of them worked at my house. I haven't found the trick to dosing for them without spiking before coming down again, unless it's only a couple of stolen bites from a friends bap/barm/bun, so no rolls in my house.
Are there any dialects in Netherlands or do you all follow the same linguistic rules?
Yes, we do have dialects, and one of them (Frisian) is even acknowledged as a language and has it's own grammar rules. But I think when speaking Dutch, and not dialect, we mainly choose the same words for things. Not at all sure, though, it could very well be your funny quirks just stand out more to me because your language is not my own and grasping the subtleties is pretty hard.

I had a look at the maps again, and it looks like apart from American English, the English from the London area is favoured in the things I read and hear in the Netherlands, as I'd choose 'dinner', 'tag' and 'roll', and my 'puts' don't rhyme with my 'buts'.

Not sure I'm representative of the Dutch in English though. I'm quite comfortable in writing, but speaking English feels utterly embarrassing, as I hardly ever do it. My spoken English is very rusty, and then there's this horrible Dutch accent. The Germans and French at least sound cute in English, the Dutch only laughable :bag:
You can imagine my horror when finding out being elected as a mod involved a one-hour phonecall with DCUKMod for training! (turned out very nice, by the way, and I believe she still takes me seriously even after hearing me talk. Thanks!)

Funny thing: In German it's the other way around. I get hot sweats as soon as I have to write it, even so much as a short text message, but happily instruct large groups of people on sailing or tell long stories and bad jokes in a bar/pub/café/whatever you call it.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am in awe of anyone who speaks more than one language so never worry about the accents.
You can't really choose what makes you feel embarrassed, can you? Knowing it doesn't matter doesn't really help!
I never know when to put a space between words ...
The Dutch are as bad as the Germans with this. I guess I overcompensate (over compensate? over-compensate?) regularly, as the rule of thumb I remembered for English is to cut every word in half or to all their components to make it right in English. Very hard!
You also switch periods and comma's in numbers.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think SI units let us use commas, spaces and full stops! Full stops seem wrong though.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think SI units let us use commas, spaces and full stops! Full stops seem wrong though.
I don't think I understand what you're saying.
9,950 is 10 euro's in the Netherlands, 9.950 is almost ten thousand.
My bg on my Dutch meter is currently 4,7 ( :D ) but if I wanted to tell you I'd write 4.7.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I don't think I understand what you're saying.
9,950 is 10 euro's in the Netherlands, 9.950 is almost ten thousand.
My bg on my Dutch meter is currently 4,7 ( :D ) but if I wanted to tell you I'd write 4.7.
Ah, for me 10,000 10 000 and 10.000 (last thinking Italian) are all ten thousand!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am American and I think most of America says roll, but sometimes uses buns. Although buns is usually used for a hamburger bun. We play tag and put and but are definitely pronounced differently!

Now do you say tomato or tomato, potato or potato? With an a sound or an ahhh sound. And a lemon can be a piece of fruit or something that breaks often. That’s bad can mean it’s bad or very good and is it cilantro or coriander?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Dian Fourie It depends what kind of stress for me? Doctors, dentists, surgery, makes me drop. But other things can make it climb! A different bedtime, a different morning can change things up. That’s where a CGM or Libre can really help so you can respond faster.