What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The KittenCat does not, but I have known friends with cats who secured the tree to a wall with nails (I think) and string. And putting any breakable ornaments on the higher branches.

I just saw this, which looks like a good idea (as long as it doesn't inspire any leg-cocking!)
36861e9c-550c-4ae7-af1b-2f824290f830.jpg

and then a Google of "dog-proofing Christmas tree" gave me some more ideas ...

https://www.dogingtonpost.com/how-to-dog-proof-christmas-tree/

https://www.rover.com/blog/dog-proof-christmas-tree-safety-in/

https://barkpost.com/life/dog-proof-christmas-tree/

My older kitty, who apparently had never played in her previous home, never played with string, etc., at my house either until one Christmas when I was taking down the tree, and then she attacked the string of light after I had unplugged the cord. We had a wonderful playtime together, after which I tossed the string in the garbage in case she had loosened any of the wiring. I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a game for dogs, though, as they attack with teeth, not claws!

Thanks for those links Saskia I’ve got time to be organised now and arrange things. Cocking his leg hadn’t even occurred to me but now I think about it I’m sure he will!!
Your game with the string of lights must have entertained Kitty for hours, my daughter’s cat loves to gently bat the lower baubles on the tree so they wobble about
Dennis is home now and feeling very sorry for himself - keeps making little whimpering noises. They’ve given him a little ‘babygro’ which is much kinder than a ‘cone of shame’ to stop him biting the wounds.
IMG_1171.jpg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you back...that shoulder must challenging. Poor little Dennis double trouble but I am sure he will be fussed over lots. Our eldest son had to have a milk tooth removed and the gum split to reposition the adult tooth. It was done in hospital and he had an ice pack strapped onto his face though a few hours later he demolished a plate of sandwiches much to the amusement of the nurse. Hope you and Dennis have a quiet night and the painkillers help.

Ooh ouch! Hilarious that he managed a plate of sandwiches a couple of hours later though. Just as well to get these things done when young I think. I had a tooth out as an adult and found it surprisingly traumatic.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for those links Saskia I’ve got time to be organised now and arrange things. Cocking his leg hadn’t even occurred to me but now I think about it I’m sure he will!!
Your game with the string of lights must have entertained Kitty for hours, my daughter’s cat loves to gently bat the lower baubles on the tree so they wobble about
Dennis is home now and feeling very sorry for himself - keeps making little whimpering noises. They’ve given him a little ‘babygro’ which is much kinder than a ‘cone of shame’ to stop him biting the wounds.
View attachment 36210
See I knew he would be fussed over...lying in front of the stove on his comfy blanket! Poor little mite. When Daisy had an anaesthetic for an xray she reacted badly and I slept on the sofa with her wrapped in a blanket that night! They are like your children when they’re poorly. Re Christmas tree have you seen the wall hung ones. I know someone who makes them from planks of wood hung together with wire with tiny brass hooks to hang decorations from aimed at compact homes but could work with animals. I dont hang baubles on the lower branches of our but the girls lean into the branches and always manage to dislodge a few (when I am out :cat:).

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello night owl, I think it's just the 4.30 a.m alarm after a lazy weekend that dampens my sp
Hello night owl, I think it's just the 4.30 a.m alarm after a lazy weekend that dampens my spirits. My day started off pretty poorly when I got to work I realized I had left all my powertools out on site over the weekend and they were missing presumed pinched (such is the way these days), I was looking on line to replace them which would have set me back the best part of £500 when the guy who is fitting the ducting on site came over and told me that he saw I had left them out and had put them in his lockbox, I told him that if I wasn't spoken for I would of kissed him, which he seemed quite relieved about, so yes my day did get better thank you.

Yay! That is good news! xx to you both :D :D

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello night owl, I think it's just the 4.30 a.m alarm after a lazy weekend that dampens my spirits. My day started off pretty poorly when I got to work I realized I had left all my powertools out on site over the weekend and they were missing presumed pinched (such is the way these days), I was looking on line to replace them which would have set me back the best part of £500 when the guy who is fitting the ducting on site came over and told me that he saw I had left them out and had put them in his lockbox, I told him that if I wasn't spoken for I would of kissed him, which he seemed quite relieved about, so yes my day did get better thank you.
Blimey that was a get out of jail card, funny about your offer of gratitude. Glad it all ended well. Dont envy you getting out of bed at 4.30am these next few months so sending a hug for that.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 36210

Oh my that looks so cozy I want to come join Dennis. :) The babygro sounds like a much better idea -- I hate those e-collars.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are just as much of a worry as our children aren’t they?
I’m going to search for the wall hanging trees, great idea - I’m sure I saw something like that in one of the Christmas markets at Truro last year.
Also a good idea to leave lower branches bare I think.

Reactions: jjraak

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I didn’t get fbg again. Been busy today with paper crafting. Made a couple of box cards with candles, and magnetic notepads which I’m just waiting on mini calendars. I’ve also included pics of where I got to in my beading.

Candle box cards
477F927F-7F40-430F-A506-A4856321CD91.jpeg 726D6C1E-5859-4F0D-B65C-4A322E72CB21.jpeg F8ECD030-58C4-433A-987E-FDF5157C9779.jpeg 2A229968-A817-4DE9-9236-74EFEB9F9150.jpeg 39F562CA-7DEF-4DE6-9FAC-5D1C7F6A7AC5.jpeg

Magnetic note pads (need to add calendars)
BACEA099-E4DB-488A-9D9F-FBB0DE64D44F.jpeg 87608FA0-CD8A-486D-9D2E-ADDBB1677AE0.jpeg

Beaded train progress
6FFDA953-8C72-4AC5-A0EA-ED32295CA6AC.jpeg C4EA2DA2-79DB-483E-89A7-86DC1CDE019D.jpeg 1E3857D4-6B3F-4251-A0CA-2D634A2CD51B.jpeg

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debandez your commitment to helping others and trying to alleviate needless suffering due to poor advice is fantastic. In your post you switch between monitoring and testing once or twice. Pressing for monitors to help to monitor and adjust is absolutely good. Reading through this thread most mornings, seeing it as a test does seem to cause some anxiety - I would say don't call it testing.
The advice does seem to be showing its age but I don't know when it was first issued and I was certainly never given any advice whatsoever on diet. I imagine pointing out that science and managing T2 in other ways is evolving rapidly which means it would be appropriate to "revisit" the advice. This may be better received.
Just because something can be measured it does not automatically mean it can be managed but it does make it far more likely and is far more likely to save easily avoidable pain, suffering, potentially death and expense and extra, avoidable, work across the diabetic population. The monitor needs to be supplemented with a course/workshop on using it and what you are looking for - what post-prandial rise to aim for , how one might achieve this (with good examples from real people) and factors which affect this and fbg. A better course than DESMOND or whatever you guys had. Just my thoughts to add into the mix.
Anyone seen or used this https://www.england.nhs.uk/2019/05/online-diabetes-support/ I have certainly never been made aware of this despite being in an area where it available. Support what you do just offering my thoughts.

I'm just one of many. And I always think of it as a team effort. Every one of us is playing a significant role. I learn something that helps me every day on here. For example the link you added. How good will that be, if they give the right advise! I'm going to share with my su

I will certainly use monitor instead of test. Hadnt realised i swapped. Thanks.

I'm going to look at taking it forward next week. More time. At the moment just finishing decorating whole house from top to bottom. Just got a few more doors to gloss then it can go on market. Another 5 days full on should finish eruthing nicely. Sons house but we got roped in ,;-)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good afternoon all

Saturday 4.9, Sunday 4.4, Monday 4.8 and 4.5 today

Shows how stress affects bg I suppose. I've not posted for a few days which have been quite difficult for us. Mum's little dog seemed to be responding really well to her heart medication but then suddenly stopped eating at the end of last week and blood tests discovered underlying kidney failure. Our little doggie went to sleep yesterday morning :(

How glad I am I found this forum and our group here after my own diagnosis.

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)
So very sorry to hear this..hope you are ok. You have your doggie a wonderful life.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm just one of many. And I always think of it as a team effort. Every one of us is playing a significant role. I learn something that helps me every day on here. For example the link you added. How good will that be, if they give the right advise! I'm going to share with my su

I will certainly use monitor instead of test. Hadnt realised i swapped. Thanks.

I'm going to look at taking it forward next week. More time. At the moment just finishing decorating whole house from top to bottom. Just got a few more doors to gloss then it can go on market. Another 5 days full on should finish eruthing nicely. Sons house but we got roped in ,;-)

This post was initially attached to @ianpspurs where he gives a link to nhs England online support. I did ask my diabetes nurse about it awhile ago. But she knew nothing of this kind of support. However I do live in Wales and it is not available in Wales. So thanks anyway to Ian for initially posting this information.

All information on this thread is gratefully read and received, even if we are in the wrong part of the U.K. to avail ourselves of it!!!

There was some discussion ish whether to call the blood sampling a test or a monitor. Just for your information I don’t think of it as either. I regard fbg as my morning ‘check in’. And similarly any later samples in the day as my ‘check in’. And this gives me a chance to adjust food in the day accordingly.

This is just my take on it. I already know, more or less now, what my body says, the information I get from how my body feels at any given moment of time what my likely reading is to be. I always have a considered guess, write it down, then take the blood sample and reading, and very often I am almost spot on. So, in this way I am using less test strips and less pin pricks.

I will have to say though, I do live on my own. I don’t have people around me 24/7, like many of you have family around you. I do spend quite a bit of time meditating, especially on my thatched swing (!), so I am able to listen to how my body feels. This would be pretty near impossible for me to do, I imagine, if I had people around me.

Reactions: DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Turning over and going to sleep. Must just rearrange the KittenCat ...

^. .^

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning, 5.9 been awake since 3am, sleep seems to be avoiding me. My cold is not improving fingers crossed it vanishes by the weekend as we have gigs.

I think I shall hide away today and hope Mrs MC does not catch my cold.

Be good one and all, keep safe.