Newly Diagnosed could test be wrong

Laconic

Hi I was newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have been on Gliclazide 40mg and metformin for a week. I have been suffering from Balanitis for a couple of months and it wasn’t clearing after two previous visits to the doctors and fluconzale and cannesten being given. On the last visit my doctor felt that I may be diabetic and gave me a note to take to the hospital for a blood test.
I couldn’t have it first thing in the morning because of work so went afterwards, I ate at 4:30 am in the morning porridge and dried fruit and nuts and didn’t eat again just having water, I got to hospital after work and had the blood test done at 2:00pm a 10 and half hour gap, the person who took my blood said it really should be a 12 hour gap and she will put a note on the sample stating this.
I went to doctors for result which came back as HbA1c 110mmol which is very high I explained to the doctor that I didn’t have a 12 hour fast before the test and he said it doesn’t matter and that my diabetes is very bad and has been bad for a long time. Since I’ve been on the medication my vision has gone blurry, I am going to see the doctor this week about this and would also like another test done, and I can book the day off work so I can have a 12 hour fast as is required.
Just would like people’s opinion on this will another test be beneficial or am I kidding myself and should just resign myself to dealing with my diabetes, as I have been on medication for a week and this would also affect another test result

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Laconic and welcome to the forum.
Your HbA1c test doesn’t require fasting as it’s a clever test which works out your average blood sugar level over the last 3 months. Here’s some more info on it:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html
As you are new to a diabetes diagnosis, here’s another link for you, this one is our useful info post:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Have a read and come back with any questions you have, there’s always help at hand here.

Reactions: DJC3

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The HbA1c does not require you to be fasting as it shows the average over 3 months, so the fact that you hadn't been fasting wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference to the HbA1c I'm afraid, The fasting may have been for another test they were running at the same time (cholesterol possibly)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have received conflicting advice, but the answer to your question is that an HbA1c test gives an average of your blood sugar levels over the previous 2 to 3 months. Whatever you ate before hand will have had no effect whatsoever. The only time you need to fast is when you have a plasma blood glucose test, which is just a snapshot of what your levels were at the time of the test. As you had an HbA1c test of 110, it confirms you are diabetic I'm afraid.

Have a good read round, and ask as many questions as you like. You will also find a lot of information on the main website from the Home page.

Edit - Post crossed with the above.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hallo @Laconic , and welcome to the forum!

I agree with the above.

I suppose the balanitis is thought a yeast infection, which is very common with high blood sugar (yeast loves sugar and if your blood sugar is high you'll have sugar in your urine). When you get your bg levels down it will probably be easy to get rid of it.

Blurry vision is normal when your blood glucose levels change, as your eyes need time to adapt to the new situation. It's very common in newly diagnosed when medication or changes in diet lowers bg. It should get better in a couple of weeks.

Have you been given a glucose meter and strips? You should be if you're on gliclazide, as that can cause hypo's.

Please read the links Rachox provided, they're very useful!

Reactions: Rachox

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum, I agree with the others. This forum is the best place for information and support.

Get your blood glucose under control and your other conditions may well improve.

Don't spend a fortune at the opticians just yet. If you feel you need a new prescription, see if you can make do with a pair off the shelf therapies. High blood glucose affects your vision.

Diet plays a huge part in controlling T2. Do some research on low carb high fat. Also check out ketogenic, my preferred route. I was diagnosed at 122.

Have a read around and ask lots of questions.

It it totally doable.

Reactions: DJC3

Laconic

Thanks I’ve been reading Sarah Flower’s book Eating to beat type 2 diabetes,
I have 5 boiled eggs with either bacon or sausages in the morning and chicken with broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus or Brussels sprouts.
In between I will nibble on almonds cheese or Pecan nuts. It’s expensive buying groceries when your a diabetic.
Flower says she gets through 36 eggs a week, is 5 a day too much...
I haven’t been given strips or a testing device, but will see the diabetic nurse tomorrow, Doctor said I will be tested again in six months

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Eggs are fine, eat as many as you like!
Please keep something sweet on you at all times! Being on gliclazide means you could get low blood sugar, and with the drastic change in diet you run a high risk of that.
That's fine, but be prepared to treat it.

Do you use a glucose meter?

Laconic

Yes Glucose Meter, I received a card in the post which will give me free prescriptions because I’m diabetic, how soon could I get 110mmol down to normal levels.
I’ve had to make the font on my phone large because can’t see it since the meds have affected my vision, and hope Balantis will clears up now hadit for two months cannesten wasn’t effective but Trimovate that I was prescribed has helped a lot

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How fast you come down will depend on many things. I went keto and was in normal range in 4 months. But BUT. I wasn't on glucose lowering drugs. I kept carbs under 20g per day.

Download the mysugr app. Record your readings before your first bite and two hours after. Also record what you eat and portion size.

Check your meat content in your sausages. I stick to 97 per cent. Learn the other names for sugar, eg glucose syrup, lactose, dextrose etc and avoid.

Read up on these diets, if you think you want to give it a try, speak with your nurse first.

mouseee

I got from 101 at diagnosis to 46 after 12 weeks low carb. It's been a challenge but manageable.
It obviously varies from person to person but it is definitely possible.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes Glucose Meter, I received a card in the post which will give me free prescriptions because I’m diabetic, how soon could I get 110mmol down to normal levels.
I’ve had to make the font on my phone large because can’t see it since the meds have affected my vision, and hope Balantis will clears up now hadit for two months cannesten wasn’t effective but Trimovate that I was prescribed has helped a lot
The bad vision probably means you've already lowered your bg quite a bit.

Again, please keep something sugary on you in case you feel suddenly sweaty, shaky, can't properly form a sentence anymore, get confused or very hungry, or a combination of those.

When your meter is in you can check if those feelings are a true hypo or not, should it happen, but until then you can only go by how you feel. Believe me, if you're on the road you won't be able to spend 10 minutes to find a store, pick something and pay for it when your brain isn't working right.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Laconic

On the back of bacon and sausages is the carbohydrate stated for the whole packet or per sausage or rasher?

Laconic

I do manual work involving heavy lifting so eat big 4 rashers or sausages with my eggs is this ok, I’ve lost weight work trousers are looser and I wear a belt now

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Please do count carbs not just sugar, you might be amazed at the levels in some processed foods (net carbs, as in UK nutrition labels).
In my opinion 6 mths is far too long to wait to check what is happening - I bought my own meter when I was diagnosed so I could check the impact of eating carbs and figure out how much a day plus the max per meal (for me as a newly diagnosed type 2 who'd had an ok HbA1c less than a year before I found 100g a day and a max of 30 in one meal was fine, but others get different results).
I ended up down to 85g a day to get the 'dawn phenomenon' under control, after my day readings dropped dramatically in a couple of weeks, and have been in remission for over a year now. But I think from my own reading and seeing others' results that if your initial numbers are higher and you've been undiagnosed for a while then it takes longer. Still I don't know anyone who's tried low carb not see some improvement.
The only thing is that they put you on Gliclazide, so you might trigger a hypo by going too low carb without your GP's support to manage the amount of the drug.
And, from my point of view that is a large breakfast - did you usually eat that much before? I expect that my weekly food bill is a lot lower ... and it is possible to do low carb without breaking the bank.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do manual work involving heavy lifting so eat big 4 rashers or sausages with my eggs is this ok, I’ve lost weight work trousers are looser and I wear a belt now
It's fine.

When did you change your diet, and did you lose that weight before or after changing your eating habits?

Laconic

I like my food so always been a big eater, maybe should try and cut down....
I changed my diet about two weeks ago no more bread rice pasta or potatoes or cereals

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like my food so always been a big eater, maybe should try and cut down....
Why? You said you're losing weight already. That doesn't sound like you're eating too much.
Having a physical job means you need more fuel than someone who sits behind a desk all day.