CosmicOwl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just got a letter following a mental health assessment I had a week ago, confirming I have Bulimia Nervosa, which is more complicated due to being Type 1 Diabetic (and I also have BPD which I’ve had treatment for). They’re moving really fast as I’ve been basically having no treatment and next to no insulin for well over a year, so it seems the process becomes a priority and I will be starting enhanced CBT next month.

I have had bulimia since I was 15, (it’s been over a decade since then), but have been in denial and then it evolved once I was diagnosed type 1.

I thought I would share this experience for awareness, and just incase anybody has been through this and can give me advice, or wants to seek help and doesn’t know how, or what happens if they do, I’m happy to answer questions surrounding seeking treatment or what it’s like living with bulimia and T1. At the moment I feel terrified, but optimistic.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It is good to hear you have the diagnosis and that they are moving quickly. I hope the treatment helps.

Reactions: ert

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
enhanced CBT
This sounds promising, BPD requires (as I understand it, not hugely knowledgable, but my Mum had it and it means things kind of work differently) a tailored approach. Wishing you all the best, eating disorders are tough but I'm optimistic too :)