1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Just diagnosed with Bulimia

Discussion in 'Emotional and Mental Health' started by CosmicOwl, Oct 29, 2019.

1. CosmicOwl

CosmicOwl Type 1 · Member

Just got a letter following a mental health assessment I had a week ago, confirming I have Bulimia Nervosa, which is more complicated due to being Type 1 Diabetic (and I also have BPD which I’ve had treatment for). They’re moving really fast as I’ve been basically having no treatment and next to no insulin for well over a year, so it seems the process becomes a priority and I will be starting enhanced CBT next month.

I have had bulimia since I was 15, (it’s been over a decade since then), but have been in denial and then it evolved once I was diagnosed type 1.

I thought I would share this experience for awareness, and just incase anybody has been through this and can give me advice, or wants to seek help and doesn’t know how, or what happens if they do, I’m happy to answer questions surrounding seeking treatment or what it’s like living with bulimia and T1. At the moment I feel terrified, but optimistic.

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

It is good to hear you have the diagnosis and that they are moving quickly. I hope the treatment helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. copilost

copilost Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This sounds promising, BPD requires (as I understand it, not hugely knowledgable, but my Mum had it and it means things kind of work differently) a tailored approach. Wishing you all the best, eating disorders are tough but I'm optimistic too :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook