Slowing weightloss

mouseee

Three months in to LC and about a stone gone but no more. I am less worried about the weight than the reduction in waist size etc.

3-4 inches off my waist and noticeable loss from legs, hips etc as well as face. However, no physical weight gone. I am overweight but not into the 'obese' section of bmi.

So, what to do? Advice please.

I admit in advance that although I'm active I don't do specific exercise.

Feel like I should be actively chasing down more weight loss.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had slow or no weightloss for some time, but I have been shrinking, waist becoming more distinct, and I am stronger. I think I have been replacing fat or fluid with muscle. I have been able to hoist knitting machines around again and have been working even though I am 68 years old.
I do not worry as long as my blood glucose is in the normal range.
My weight might eventually sink down a bit more but I had decades of being screamed at and insulted for not eating those carbs which would make me healthy, so my metabolism got hammered year after year with the foods I knew in my soul I should not be eating, but it seemed to be heresy to try to avoid.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bmi isn’t really the best measure of metabolic health. At best it’s a rough and ready guide and starting point. I really wouldn’t worry at this point. If you do have more to lose and continue low carb it’s likely to come off slowly over time in a sustainable way. In the meantime waist to height ratio (a better measure apparently), metabolic health and bgl levels are all improving anyway by the sounds of things.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there are much more important priorities than weight loss. Although weight loss has an incredibly high profile (for T2s) on this forum, it should be (in my opinion) way down the list below blood glucose control and reduction of insulin resistance and feeling well. Men and women lose weight differently. Age and activity and muscle mass affect it too. So do health issues and hormone issues (pcos, thyroid, cushings), sleep quality, water intake, stress, and so on.

Weight loss stalls are a well reported and well understood phenomena in any weight loss process, and LC is a lifetime change of eating habits. I read that a stall isn’t a stall til it has lasted for over 6 weeks of nil weight loss.

i guess I am suggesting give it time, and bear in mind that LC isn't a universal panacea for everything, for everyone. Weight loss is just a small part of the overall picture.

Reactions: HSSS

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mouseee I agree with Brunneria that BG control. insulin resistance and feeling well and healthy are by far the most important indicators of health.

However, if you would like to further reduce weight, then some things that may help to speed things up/break through a stall would be intermittent fasting - eating less often and in as narrow a window as possible - or further restriction of carbohydrates. With the latter I’d caution against introducing a regime that you can’t easily sustain.

In my view while exercise is great for your health and also for overall well-being, it doesn’t have a big impact on weight loss.

Good luck with this.

mouseee

Thanks!

That's kind of where I am really. There have been plenty of positives I suppose I am just feeling a bit impatient to fit into clothes I made a few years ago at my slimmest. Petty when compared with health!!!

Need to alter lots of the things I made this year due to changing shape and feeling a whole lot better which is the main thing.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mouseee - When I was diagnosed in 2013, I made, for very good reasons, to me, a fundamental decision that I would not chase weight loss. I would chase reduction on my blood glucose numbers.

I only weighed myself about 2 weeks before my only ever diabetes review, as I was curious, and a set of scales were sitting on the ground in a hardware store. I knew I had lost weight as my clothes were all too big.

When I had my review my A1c had reduced from 73 to 37, so I was happy enough.

Your A1c has reduced dramatically, according to your signature, and I congratulate you on that.

In my experience, and observation, weight loss is rarely linear. Some trickle on losing modestly, some have flat lines the drops, some have peaks and troughs, but a general downward trend, and some sit static.

Those who sit somewhat statically, tend to have other factors impacting their metabolic health, such as PCOS, adrenal and/or thyroid challenges.

Provided you are feeling well, stick with it and see where you go in a few more weeks. You are building a new way of living, and eating, so it really is a long game, but whatever you do, don't lose sight of the fact you have brought your A1c down hugely, in a very short while. I might go as far as to suggest you consider your next milestone to be your next A1c, when you can again compare all your various bloods numbers and any other records you keep.

mouseee

@mouseee - When I was diagnosed in 2013, I made, for very good reasons, to me, a fundamental decision that I would not chase weight loss. I would chase reduction on my blood glucose numbers.

I only weighed myself about 2 weeks before my only ever diabetes review, as I was curious, and a set of scales were sitting on the ground in a hardware store. I knew I had lost weight as my clothes were all too big.

When I had my review my A1c had reduced from 73 to 37, so I was happy enough.

Your A1c has reduced dramatically, according to your signature, and I congratulate you on that.

In my experience, and observation, weight loss is rarely linear. Some trickle on losing modestly, some have flat lines the drops, some have peaks and troughs, but a general downward trend, and some sit static.

Those who sit somewhat statically, tend to have other factors impacting their metabolic health, such as PCOS, adrenal and/or thyroid challenges.

Provided you are feeling well, stick with it and see where you go in a few more weeks. You are building a new way of living, and eating, so it really is a long game, but whatever you do, don't lose sight of the fact you have brought your A1c down hugely, in a very short while. I might go as far as to suggest you consider your next milestone to be your next A1c, when you can again compare all your various bloods numbers and any other records you keep.
I think you are right... and it's the kind of advice I give to others!

I haven't weighed for a few weeks and I think that's the way to go.

I know I've made amazing leaps in a short time - and that's really thanks to all of you on here!