Type 2 Vinegar in Keto Bread - why?

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone tell me the purpose of this and whether it affects the recipe much if left out? Thanks.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Probably to help it rise.

bazzarty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Vinegar used in bread making reacts with the yeast or baking soda/bicarbonate of soda creating carbon dioxide gas/bubbles which really help the dough to rise. You can make it without the vinegar but the difference in how the bread rises WITH the vinegar is dramatic! Try with and without and you'll really notice the difference. The small amounts of vinegar used are not even noticeable tastewise in bread/baked goods.

Mod edited

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Flora123

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Vinegar used in bread making reacts with the yeast or baking soda/bicarbonate of soda creating carbon dioxide gas/bubbles which really help the dough to rise. You can make it without the vinegar but the difference in how the bread rises WITH the vinegar is dramatic! Try with and without and you'll really notice the difference. The small amounts of vinegar used are not even noticeable tastewise in bread/baked goods.

Mod edited

Thank you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
vinegar doesn't react with yeast but it is an acid - like cream of tartar which becomes tartaric acid when wetted, and it reacts with the baking soda to release bubbles of gas to raise the mixture.
Baking powder is baking soda plus an acidic powder of some sort which does the same thing without needing anything extra.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone. It’s the diet doctor Keto bread and no yeast. This time I used boiling water but my original printout just said water. It’s worked much better this time.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Some sodas/powders are more heat sensitive than others - there is a whole science behind them, which is used by food manufacturers to minimize production time.
If the bake time is short and the mixture is at room temperature to start with, optimum rise might not be achieved.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some sodas/powders are more heat sensitive than others - there is a whole science behind them, which is used by food manufacturers to minimize production time.
If the bake time is short and the mixture is at room temperature to start with, optimum rise might not be achieved.

Thanks. I made a batch today and it is perfect. It was really just a question about why vinegar is added rather than there is a problem (except the batch with cold water!). Thanks all.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just checked my braking powder and it contrains some floor, and hence a very little carbs. I expect that is way they did not use normal braking powder.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Doesn't vinegar change the flavour too? As soon as I add it, it seems to make everything smell nice and yeasty so it makes a great bread substitute. Otherwise it's more like cake I thought.

Reactions: ringi