Depressed and my cries for help got ignor

DapherCake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I’ve been a type 1 diabetic since I was 9 I am 23 now, I’ve suffered with being depressed since I was 14 and now I am ready to ask for help. I attempted suicide when I was 16 via letting myself go hypo and not treating it, since then I don’t care about my diabetes. How can I care when I don’t care about myself you know? I check my blood once a week and never carb count, just give myself units that sound correct.
I work around this when I have a doctors appointment by checking regularly around the time so it looks like (when they check my monitor) like I look like I’m checking. My doctor is aware I get depressed and she cares but I’ve never confided in her.
I’m ready to ask for help with my depression, I’ve seen 4 different doctors to do with mental health so I’ve started the ball rolling to get help and they all have told me to speak to my diabetic doctor, a week ago I left a note with the receptionist explaining the situation and how bad I’ve gotten but now it’s a week later and I’ve have no contact from my doctor.
From my point of view, someone who is depressed, sees this as the universe’s way of confirming what my fake thoughts are saying that no one cares about me. Obviously I know that’s silly, the doctor is rather busy or simply didn’t get the message.

I had another mental health assessment today who told me to contact my diabetic doctor again, but how can I? I went in to the hospital and handed a physical note to the receptionist in the diabetic clinic, if I was I will just be leaving a non-physical message to get to my doctor

Suggestion?
Thanks

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Do you have an email address for the clinic / consultant’s secretary/ DSN?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
No, nothing just the normal phone number for the clinic.
Do you feel up to calling them? Or can you ask the mental health team to contact them?

DapherCake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you feel up to calling them? Or can you ask the mental health team to contact them?
Calling them just puts me through to the receptionist who I gave my note to in the first place, all the mental health teams have asked me to do it so I don’t think they’re even sure how to go about it tbh

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Sounds like a really tough situation. You do need support for both the physical and mental side of this.
Could you ask your GP to write?

DapherCake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
update i guess, 8 weeks later and they didn't contact me.
i called them today to ask for help again .. same receptionist answered. i explained i have been diagnosed with depression and im not looking after myself i need help
she said: clinic is closed today, call monday

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@DapherCake that is truly appalling, put that in writing to the clinic, the receptionist could have tried to find you a cancellation or given you a time to call on Monday.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i called them today to ask for help again .. same receptionist answered. i explained i have been diagnosed with depression and im not looking after myself i need help
Just a T2 here, but I actually sought active help when suicidal about 15 years ago. Turns out my call for help got lost and I *thought* I was on a waitinglist, when I wasn't. I held on by my fingernails for a year, before I finally asked them when they were ever going to get around to me. Just a lost file. Could've been a lost life. Do not let things get out of hand as much as I did back then. You need help, you deserve help, and if the diabetic doc is no use due to that receptionist, you'd do well to file a complaint (that usually makes 'em sit up and take notice), and get your GP involved. Someone has to be able to refer you to someone, somewhere, right?

Don't see it as confirmation from the universe that you're not worth it. (Thank heavens you already know, depression lies!). Let it fuel some rightious anger so you'll end up sticking up for yourself. People often say anger isn't a constructive emotion, but then they never had to fuel some self-saving fires.

HUGS!
Jo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am reminded of the time I took a seriously ill child to the surgery and the receptionist tried to get me to go home - using several different ploys. I insisted on seeing a doctor, urgently - and when he started to lecture me on how ill my child was simply repeated what the receptionist had told me about my being an anxious mother and that the rash was nothing to be concerned about etc. I never saw that person at the desk again - so I suspect you need to have the confidence and persistence required to get past the receptionist to the person you need to see. Don't let one person's attitude stop your (eventual) progress.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh dear DapherCake - That's not good.

I'm working on the assumption you know who your diabetes consultant is, and you see him/her in a hospital clinic?

Provided you know those two things, how about trying ringing the hospital main number and asking to speak to DrX's secretary? I don't see a consultant for my diabetes, but I do see an Endo for another condition. I have found that approach very useful when looking for information or if I need interim help.

If you do that and speak with the secretary, please ensure you tell her you have been reaching out for some weeks already.

I do hope you can access the help you need to move forward.

DapherCake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Update !
My doctor finally, finally called me back and today I got the freestyle libre to take away the pressure of testing and allowed family to test me when I’m too low to
I feel very much helped but if this had just happened when I first asked I might be better already, oh well
Thank you every one for your kind words and stories

Reactions: RainbowBrite