Diabetics R Us

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember having a similar thing happen to me when sitting eating fish and chips on Newquay front some years ago the seagull nearly took the my fingers with the chips.

Same here, at Whitby. However, our dog at the time did the same thing when passing some folk sitting on a wall eating chips. He nicked a chip from the bag!!!! Quick as a flash he was, Embarrassed isn't a strong enough word for how we felt.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't been getting alerts for this thread, so have been absent. I have some reading on it to catch up with. Off on holiday later today but will return to do my catching up once we are settled in to our cottage. :)

Nice to see you back! :)
I've heard others not getting alerts for other threads before now ...
Hmm, I wonder where that surprise is that we were promised? ...
Enjoy your holiday!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've heard others not getting alerts for other threads before now ...
You lose the alerts if you failed to check on a previous alert for the same thread. Which is easy to do on days with many alerts. I find it useful to check 'Watched Threads' every once in a while to see if I lost any.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am watching the most important game of the year -- actually the only one I'll probably watch this season -- Auburn v Georgia. I went shopping earlier wearing my Auburn orange-and-blue and met a very nice Georgia fan.

Now taking a brief break from Tigers and Bulldogs to check out the Giraffes, @JohnEGreen :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just back from our last holiday until the end of March. Come January I will be having severe withdrawal symptoms. Despite the extreme cold, we had a good holiday. We were rained off one of the days, and on another day almost had our heads blown off with the wind, but the rest of the time it was dry and not at all bad. Can't expect much else in November. We missed all the rain the Midlands had. Those poor people with flooded homes and businesses.

Reactions: Antje77

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes I did notice a lot of new little lakes where farmers fields had been before, on the drive to Lincoln the other day and we have had a fair amount of rain since then.

Keiran' university accommodation is a sort of tower block last year he was on the top floor but this year he requested a move down to the ground floor after what has happened at Bolton I am very glad that he did.

One thing I advised him to do was back up his course work to various places like the cloud, thumb drives and the University library has a facility for backing up your data as well and again the fire at Bolton has shown that to be a good idea.

Feel so sorry for those students at Bolton.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I saw a discussion where people were talking about things they'd enjoy doing with their t.
I have no idea what a t is. I did come up with some possibilities:

61Csui4tlqL._SY355_.jpg

1956-ford-thunderbird-1.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fjoshmax%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F03%2F2018-Triumph-Bonneville-Bobber-Black-1200x563.jpg

calvin-and-hobbes-chapi-dee.jpg

Do you have any idea what else a t could be?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It turned out to be therapist. I guess they can help people cross virtual logs over the scary streams of life!

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yearly date with DN and internist tomorrow. It will be my first date with a DN too, and they've planned in an hour for it :wideyed::eek:
It looks like I'm starting to get used to those appointments, nerves have only started over the weekend instead of 2 weeks ago :)
It helps a lot that at my first appointment with the internist, 6 months ago, it became clear that she was fine with my low hba1c, so I'm not preparing for a fight about that. As far as I'm aware internist trumps DN, so I'll look up the letter to my GP where internist states she's happy with my hba1c. Should the DN be difficult about it I'll show her that letter, problem solved!

Of course I can only show them pretty ugly Libre graphs. Last sensor was unusually unpredictable. Current sensor is fine, but I've been fighting one of those lovely childrens diseases with itchy red spots for over a week which has messed with my insulin needs and numbers. And I'm pretty sure diabetes just likes to give me ugly graphs to take to my appointments. Never mind, I'll explain them away:bookworm:

Bloodwork came back last week, everything's fine except for lowish vitamin D. I'm already on supplements for that so we'll probably up them a bit.
Visited the GP last week with the virus, he took my BP, which was perfect, so no need to stress about that either :)

They sent me a horrible questionnaire last week, as my hospital record is pretty much empty except for bloodwork, and I definitely don't look forward to the expected talk about weight, smoking, alcohol and depression. Fingers crossed I like the DN or she can have that conversation on her own.

So in summary: Everything will be fine, I am nervous but not nearly as nervous as last time and things look a lot better now I've written them out :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Don't be nervous you're the boss, and the captain of your own destiny.
Mind you I do get a bit nervy when seeing my neurologist at times :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am watching a program of organ music from the Grotekirk in Leyden. Diane Bish is playing some of my favorite Thanksgiving hymns, and one with an Amsterdam recorder quartet. They are also showing plaques about the Pilgrims.
Lovely music on a wonderful organ. :)
And to think I almost didn't bother to turn on the program today!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is normal for us all to be nervous when review time comes round @Antje77 . I know I am, even though my DN is lovely and we have a good long chat about all kinds of things. She knows I already get my blood results on-line and that I know what they all mean, so she has nothing to say about those. I am more nervous when I open up my on-line access, but so far so good with nothing to worry about. I am due mine this month so must make an effort to book the blood draw appointment.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am watching a program of organ music from the Grotekirk in Leyden. Diane Bish is playing some of my favorite Thanksgiving hymns, and one with an Amsterdam recorder quartet. They are also showing plaques about the Pilgrims.
Lovely music on a wonderful organ. :)
And to think I almost didn't bother to turn on the program today!

Of course that is the resting place of the Reverend John Robinson.

Who happens to be in my family tree would you believe.

Reverend John Robinson
1576–1625
BIRTH 30 JUN 1576 • Le Steeple, Lincolnshire, England
DEATH 1 MAR 1625 • Leyden, Leiden, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
4th great-uncle of wife of 6th cousin 8x removed

I love organ music

Reactions: SaskiaKC

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
This is a recording of the Liverpool Cathedral instrument recorded in 1927 so sound quality not so great when it was built this was the largest musical instrument ever conceived and when actually there it blows you away.