Vitamins +

KTNIC

Anyone ever had these tested? Or any knowledge of why with T2 I might need to.

Folate
Ferritin
Active B12
Magnesium
D3

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Folate
Ferritin
Active B12
Magnesium
D3

Yup.
I get mine done by Thriva. https://thriva.co/?msclkid=b3ed80aaf6031f5b31b6dd7827a11191
Other companies offer a similar service.

Don't think the tests distinguish between D3 and other types, since the body processes them into a different form. It is just that D3 is more bioavailable than D2.

And blood tests for Magnesium are stunningly unhelpful, since it isn't the amount of Mg in the blood that matters, it is the Mg in the cells - and the test for cell content Mg is invasive and v expensive.

Folate and Ferritin and B12 and vit D are all standard tests available on the NHS (are you in the UK?) but my doc isn't keen on splashing out on them too often, so I go the private route. And I am very glad that I do. Also Manganese.
But then my reason for being deficient in most of these AND high in Ferritin is that I have malabsorption and ended up deficient in quite a few nutrients.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had folate, ferritin and vitamins D and B12 done vía my GP. B 12 needs an eye kept on if you take Metformin.
Sorry didn’t say why the rest, it was just a general check up :)

Edit to explain things further.

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve had folate, ferritin and vitamins D and B12 done vía my GP. B 12 needs an eye kept on if you take Metformin.
Sorry didn’t say why the rest, it was just a general check up :)

Edit to explain things further.

I use both B 12 and Metformin. I did not know of any adverse effects if both taken together...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use both B 12 and Metformin. I did not know of any adverse effects if both taken together...
No adverse effects, B12 supplementation is wise if you take Metformin, as Metformin can interfer with absorption of B12

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Folate
Ferritin
Active B12
Magnesium
D3

As @Rachox says anyone on Metformin COULD be adversely affected by a B12 Deficiency.
Film link below my signature for anyone wanting to know a little more in a pleasant little film, or just read link.." What they don't tell you.... about Metformin."

Last edited:

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Without the ✻symptoms✻ of B12 deficiency ..I'd gone through a phase of taking these vitamins ..I stopped buyin' 'em when I cottoned on that I get sufficient B12 via my own food plan.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Without the ✻symptoms✻ of B12 deficiency ..I'd gone through a phase of taking these vitamins ..I stopped buyin' 'em when I cottoned on that I get sufficient B12 via my own food plan.

My B12 intake is huge. Yet I still ended up deficient, because my body wasn’t absorbing it from the food I eat. Obviously this is not typical, but it just shows that having something in the diet doesn’t always mean your body is able to extract what it needs from the food.

Metformin can cause this too, where B12 isn’t absorbed in sufficient amounts from food.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Pleased that for you that's the case @Ajax
And I kinda hear and agree on a lot of that re supplements.... However the effects of B12 are rather insidious.. And for me, I'd much rather be
Over cautious then not.

The film shows in some detail the awful affects that deficiency COULD have,

Worrying that despite it being an actual warning, my doctor (can't speak for all but it seems common, ) either was not aware or didn't consider it important enough, to add to blood tests.
Mine was in range but lower end, so I supplement... Over cautious.. Maybe

But it looks to be far too easy to misdiagnose B12 Deficiency over time, which can have serious impact if it is not tackled soon enough

Don't think it will be a digit dropping off moment.
It may well just be that "forgetful moment" we all have as we age.. But we trundle along ok right.. Until it's noticed that it's not.

Over 50, as Dr Barry mentioned we deplete naturally then add in the effects of the Metformin, ....

As said, hear what you say, and for many I would normally be joining you, but having spend a good bit of time looking at what's out there about it, not on this one.

Best regards.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ajax - If you haven't already done so, I would urge you to ask your GP for a broad spectrum blood panel, to include your vitamins and hormones.

Those things are variable, and as others have said, just because we're taking in plenty, other things can impact how well our bodies take up the nutrients and use them.

For example, at the start of my journey, working out what might be going wrong with my thyroid, I had such a panel, with all levels very good. In fact, the Endo reckoned he had never seen such a high natural Vit D level (by natural I mean with supplementing) for years. Fast forward few months and I was in the deficient range for D3, my B12 had gone down significantly - despite good intake, and a few other things had gone down a bit.

I'm not a fan of taking anything without a demonstrable need for it, but we don't always feel these things - especially if they've been creeping on for a period of time.