Type 2- dawn phenomenon and A1C

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My fasting glucose runs around 130 mg/dl, (7.2 mmol/L) but later in the afternoon it is closer to 97 mg/dl (5.4 mmol/L)

My A1C runs around 5.5% (36.6 mmol/mol)

I hope I used the converter right.

I am finally taking this seriously and working on improving my diet and exercise level.

Is the A1C result more reliable as far as predicting future problems: eyes, kidneys, wounds, neuropathy?

Should I be very concerned with the fasting number.? I try eating less in the evening and I walk in the evening, but it is consistently higher.

I take 500mg metformin ER in the morning and 1000 at night. I take 100mg Januvia in morning. I could take those at different times if it would help.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you eating and when are you eating might be more pertinent info.
Dawn phenomenon meant my FBG was the last number to normalise (took about 6 months of ultra low carb and intermittent fasting) so don't fret too much about it at the start of your journey..

lorib64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. You are an inspiration. I can cut back on carbs and eat earlier if that would help.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. You are an inspiration. I can cut back on carbs and eat earlier if that would help.
I tend to eat once or twice a day usually post 1 pm because that works out best for me.. maybe try to reduce the window of eating to 8 hours whenever best fits in with your life.

Edit to add thanks for the compliment.. but I'm just an old curmudgeon who, thanks to many members here, made some changes and got a whole lot better.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
My fasting glucose runs around 130 mg/dl, (7.2 mmol/L) but later in the afternoon it is closer to 97 mg/dl (5.4 mmol/L)

My A1C runs around 5.5% (36.6 mmol/mol)

I hope I used the converter right.

I am finally taking this seriously and working on improving my diet and exercise level.

Is the A1C result more reliable as far as predicting future problems: eyes, kidneys, wounds, neuropathy?

Should I be very concerned with the fasting number.? I try eating less in the evening and I walk in the evening, but it is consistently higher.

I take 500mg metformin ER in the morning and 1000 at night. I take 100mg Januvia in morning. I could take those at different times if it would help.
Hi, I agree with the advice above. Your Blood Glucose looks good except for the Dawn Phenomenon keeping your fasting BG higher. Even so 7.2,,ol/L isn't a bad figure. So don't worry or feel you need to change something. If you can keep doing what you are doing your HbA1C will stay good (36.6 mmol/mol is lower than the pre-diabetic threshold).

I don't think you need concern yourself about diabetes related retinopathy, neuropathy etc. (unless you already had them and are working toward remission of them).High BG spikes (causing high Insulin spikes) and high overall levels are thought to be the cause - so both highest BG during the day and a high average as shown by HbA1C are markers.

Reactions: lorib64

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
I reckon that you have nothing to worry about. Your figures are pretty much in alignment with mine & my doctor reckons that I am in remission. Just to clarify; before breakfast I am usually in the range 6.0 to 7.4. During the day I am in the 5s. After meals I am between 5.0 & 6.5. My latest HbA1C is 37. I have been a diabetic since 2007 & have never had to resort to medication. You seem pretty much the same to me. Keep it up.

Reactions: sno0opy and lorib64

Norfolkmell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tattoos, carers calling me lovey or duckie when I've only just met them
I agree with all the above, I would say you are on the right track and those numbers are pretty good. I find however that unless I have a cube of cheese or something before bed I sleep better. Having had a recent run of not being able to fall asleep until after I'd got up and had a slice of toast (I know but it works for me) I'd fall asleep pretty quickly. However that wasn't so good getting up at three in the morning as to get out of bed I need my beloved to wake up and he was begining to get grumpy and tired! So now I have something before I go to bed and I'm pretty sure of a good nights sleep and so is he, mind you he's still a bit grumpy!

Thomas the Tank

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think you need concern yourself about diabetes related retinopathy, neuropathy etc. (unless you already had them and are working toward remission of them).High BG spikes (causing high Insulin spikes) and high overall levels are thought to be the cause - so both highest BG during the day and a high average as shown by HbA1C are markers.

Well done lorib64 for taking it seriously and getting great results.
Hi, I would love some one to point me to the research that shows if it is the spikes, high Hb1Ac, or high fasting BG that is the biggest problem. Or is it just a bit of every thing "If the left one don't get ya the right one will" style. I hate not understanding the science behind the advice.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done lorib64 for taking it seriously and getting great results.
Hi, I would love some one to point me to the research that shows if it is the spikes, high Hb1Ac, or high fasting BG that is the biggest problem. Or is it just a bit of every thing "If the left one don't get ya the right one will" style. I hate not understanding the science behind the advice.
Not sure if this might be of some use, if i understand the question properly

https://www.bloodsugar101.com/must-you-deteriorate

Bogie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
The "dawn phenomenon" readings can be dramatically affected by when you take the reading. I have found that if I take my morning rise reading right away - even while still in bed - it is in the 5s (5.3 - 5.9) and sometimes in the 6s. If I get up, dressed, and feed the dogs first, then my readings are in the 7s - and that is before eating anything. This is most likely due to a Liver Dump.

From this forum in January 2019: "The dawn phenomenon is what occurs when the body produces hormones that result in raised blood sugars in the morning. It is thought that the body releases hormones that either impairs the action of insulin or cause the liver to release extra sugar into the blood."

In the morning your body needs fuel to start your day after sleeping, so keep that in mind when taking readings. Also, watch what you eat as a late-night snack. Personally I might have sugar-free Jello and some cheddar cheese. If you break down due to the temptations of past diets and have a sandwich (even with a lower carb bread) then your morning fasting reading could be higher.