Dangerous sweeteners!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
My wife came home with Aldi Stevia Sweetener about ten days ago saying these are a third the price we normally pay.
The name Aldi only appears in small writing on the back no trade name on the front.
Since having these tablets numerous times a day .... quite a lot in fact my blood sugars have been out of control.
I didn't connect the two.
It plainly says on the front of the dispenser STEVIA SWEETENER.

What made me get my magnifying glass out and take a look at the ingredients list I don't know but first and therefore the most of was DEXTROSE.

I have been suffering since I got these tablets with what I thought was a flair up of my normally mild COPD only to dicover I have fluid on my lungs.

This is the first time I have ever contemplated suing a company or in fact anyone but I'm fuming!
--------------------------------0----------------------------------
What precautions should I take when using dextrose?
A medical provider should not give dextrose to people with certain kinds of medical conditions. This is because the dextrose could potentially cause too-high blood sugar or fluid shifts in the body that lead to swelling or fluid buildup in the lungs.
https://www.healthline.com/health/dextrose#precautions

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Oi TIPETOO what's with the funny?
Maybe the magnifying glass?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
This gets back to the old message.... read he label. I bet it was in tiny print. I can't see a suit being successful if it is listed on the product ingredient list.

It sounds like a knockoff product of the real deal. Well worth posting this so others in a similar boat can see your experience with it.

Hope you recover soon.

Reactions: Prem51

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
This gets back to the old message.... read he label. I bet it was in tiny print. I can't see a suit being successful if it is listed on the product ingredient list.

It sounds like a knockoff product of the real deal. Well worth posting this so others in a similar boat can see your experience with it.

Hope you recover soon.
The dispenser clearly says Stevia and that's it.
They must know diabetics are big consumers of stevia.
Surely they should carry a .... stevia with dextrose?..
I am seriously angry they have made me ill and made me suffer and I have never considered suing anyone till now.
I will be popping in to see the store manager tomorrow and seeking legal advice.

Reactions: Divia and Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some sweeteners give me hallucinations, I usually avoid them but a couple of glasses of something with some artificial sweeteners in an evening and I have some extremely nasty shocks throughout the night as I wake up and see things not there.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The dispenser clearly says Stevia and that's it.
They must know diabetics are big consumers of stevia.
Surely they should carry a .... stevia with dextrose?..
I am seriously angry they have made me ill and made me suffer and I have never considered suing anyone till now.
I will be popping in to see the store manager tomorrow and seeking legal advice.

I thought you said it had dextrose in the ingredient list? Was that not on the product? Just asking. I have seen Stevia named products that are actually 99.3% erythritol and 0.7% stevia. And the product is named Stevia. I think it's very deceitful, but the details are in the ingredient list... which is in very small print.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Just asked my wife and it turns out I've been eating this poison for a few months!
She always keeps receipts.
My blood sugars have been crazily high for someone who has great control and the surgery have been trying to deal with that bit and have had no idea what has been causing it .... now I know.

Last edited:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I thought you said it had dextrose in the ingredient list? Was that not on the product? Just asking. I have seen Stevia named products that are actually 99.3% erythritol and 0.7% stevia. And the product is named Stevia. I think it's very deceitful, but the details are in the ingredient list... which is in very small print.
Yes it's in the small print on the back of the dispenser .... to small for me or my wife to read in the shop when purchasing.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Some sweeteners give me hallucinations, I usually avoid them but a couple of glasses of something with some artificial sweeteners in an evening and I have some extremely nasty shocks throughout the night as I wake up and see things not there.
Have you been taking the LSD in your medicine cabinet by mistake?
Only joking of course but in the light of this discovery read the ingredients list and Google the side effects of those ingredients.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yes it's in the small print on the back of the dispenser .... to small for me or my wife to read in the shop when purchasing.

I think that's how companies get away with it... it's there, so legally it's there, but there comes a point where it's practically hidden by tiny print. And I'm sure that explains your high levels. I had major issues with a sugar free drink about 10 years back, until I came across how bad aspartame is and found it was how they made the sugar free drink I was using, sugar free.... felt absolutely awefull while drinking that and fine when I didn't.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
This product is sold and labelled as stevia when in reality it is dextrose with some stevia in.
I reckon that alone is enough as it is essentially deceptive.
They say they are selling me stevia when in fact they are selling me sugar .... a very dangerous practice and they have made me ill.
I have the medical back up of my doctors trying to find out why my sugar levels have been so high and now have fluid on my lungs which has been very distressing very uncomfortable had me spending long periods in bed and fluid on the lungs can be potentially life threatening and I am seriously angry.
I'll let you know how I get on with the legal advice.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You could inform the local Trading Standards office as this would be deceptive marketing? I must admit I'm horrified hearing about the sugar alcohol in it.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems Stevia is normally bulked with dextrose, presumably to make it have the same sweetness per teaspoon as table sugar.
I am confused by dextrose, I thought it was the same as glucose, maybe it is an isomer that is not digested but don't people use dextrose tablets for hypos.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with stevia is that it's so extremely sweet that it generally comes with some sort of bulking agent to accommodate this, usually erythritol which is quite acceptable as it's also safe for diabetic use. However, I've always checked (on line) before I buy anything labelled "stevia" due to this bulking up issue. But I agree it can be a rather sneaky way of selling it if this isn't made clear. :banghead:

Robbity

Reactions: jjraak

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just looked up Dextrose and Levulose because I always thought that they were stereo-isomers of each other.
That is, the same molecular structure (carbon, hydrogen, oxygen in this case) but linked slightly differently so the molecule has a different shape.

Apparently Dextrose is glucose ( a stereo-isomer) but Levulose is fructose.
Glucose and fructose are processed differently by the body.

So Stevia in glucose isn't a product you would expect to take if you were allergic to glucose, and I don't really see the point.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people

And there is their way out of a writ. It is labelled, not clearly BUT it is labelled

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking at this story from the opposite angle, My mum used to carry dextrose tablets to treat hypo's, and it sounds like this product could do a similar job. Not sure on dosage though.

Personally I use the Aldi sucralose sweetners. Same shelf, same price as the Stevia one. No effect n my sugars, but maybe raising insulin levels in me, but not sure whether that science is still valid or scsremongering blogspeak, Apparently some 2% of the tablet gets metabolised as sugar, anf there are thoughts the sweetness fools the body by triggering amylase reaction in the saliva but cannot find any studies tht confirms this.

Here is a general overview of most of the common sweetners.
https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/10/suppl_1/S31/5307224

Interesting that Sucralose decreased the clostridium bacilli in the gut, which may be a good thing.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
To bulk Stevia with glucose (Dextrose) seems to be madness to me. I wonder if I'm missing something?