I forgot if I took my evening dose of Tresiba, what should I do now?

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I usually take 17 units of Tresiba on the evening and 17 units in the morning. But now I forgot if I have even taken my evening dose of 17 units Tresiba. What is the best way to do in this case?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know I kept having the same issues (it becomes so auto-pilot you don't even remember doing it), so I got a Timesulin cap for my pens so I could see exactly how long ago I'd taken it, I realise that doesn't help right now, but if you find it's tricky to remember whether you've taken your insulin or not I found said cap very very useful. The Novopen Echo and Novopen 5 also have built in timers if you want to use a reusable pen.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could tell what I would do but..... Ring 111, you will have to answer lots of questions and then a doctor should eventualy ring you back. They will probabely ask for your last BG, and if they have acces to System One should have all your records through the GP surgery.
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/urgent-and-emergency-care/nhs-111/

Why? It’s long lasting. You will be either higher tomorrow or not. If higher take more bolus. It happens! Don’t worry we’ve all done it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I usually take 17 units of Tresiba on the evening and 17 units in the morning. But now I forgot if I have even taken my evening dose of 17 units Tresiba. What is the best way to do in this case?

Hi,

Don't panic.
Had a simalar issue from Friday night.. It can become habit to the point of the "mundane."
My basal (Lantus.) is taken at 11pm as a single dose.

My understanding is you split your basal dose?
Monitor your BGs as best you can tonight.. (I appreciate sleep is required.) Correct with fast acting if you are surfing too high? Then give your normal dose in the morning.. It's better if unsure to not double your dosage overnight till the next..
You may run a little high the following day if you have forgotten basal the night before? If you have the capability to check for keytones? Please also do so..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With Tresiba, which is very long acting, you should be fine for tonight, so just go to sleep and have sweet dreams :)
Tomorrow and the days after you may or may not find you're running slightly higher than usual and you can correct for that.
Tresiba is the most forgiving of all insulins as far as I know, and you're double lucky you take it in a split dose so even if you've missed it you've only missed half your daily dose :)

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do this every now and then and start panicking when i realise! Nice to know there are timer tops for the pens though, i'll have to look into these!

Reactions: Antje77 and porl69

MauroM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with monitoring more frequently just to be sure. I take a Lantus dose at around 9 pm and lost count of how many times I was startled awake, desperate, wondering if I had taken the dose that night. I recently started changing the pen's placement everytime I take the shot, replacing it when I do the morning fingerprick test. Now, if I wake up in the middle of the night, I can look at where the pen is. Even then, if I suspect I forgot to take it, and can't know if I either forgot the dose or just forgot to replace the pen, I consider the possible scenarios:

-I took the dose, don't remember, and take another one (to be "sure") and risk a terrible hypo while asleep and further hypos through the day;
-I didn't take the dose, and then take a full dose (nothing happens);
-I took the dose, don't remember, and leave it (nothing happens);
-I didn't take the dose, leave it that way and risk high blood sugars the next day (which can be remedied by a tighter control).

The first case is the worst one, by far, and I'd rather risk high sugars (when that happened to me, it was not that bad) and having to correct them, so, if I suspect I didn't take the dose, I just ignore it. It is a hassle, yes, but I think is far safer.
In any case, I second the opinion of contacting a professional when in doubt.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently started changing the pen's placement everytime I take the shot, replacing it when I do the morning fingerprick test.
Genius!
I'm going to start this tonight! I keep it by my bed but I can switch between it's usual spot between the mattress and the wall, and the nightstand. To prevent forgetting to put it back in the morning I'll put it on top of my fast acting, which I take before getting out of bed :)

Reactions: MauroM

MauroM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Genius!
I'm going to start this tonight! I keep it by my bed but I can switch between it's usual spot between the mattress and the wall, and the nightstand. To prevent forgetting to put it back in the morning I'll put it on top of my fast acting, which I take before getting out of bed :)

I change between shelves (bottom shelf during the day, top shelf after the shot), since I keep all my equipment in a wardrobe, but your idea of puting it on top of the fast acting is really clever!

Reactions: Antje77

Bishop

Hello
Here I made a video with how I did it when I forgot to take my basal insulin - Levemir.
Have a look maybe you will find it useful.

On the channel, you can find other videos that you might be interested in.

Good luck!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
When I initially read about tresiba before it was available in the U.K. it was marketed as a very long acting basal insulin lasting upto 72 hours. And in that marketing material it stated it was good for people who forgot the occasional dose.

For me when I’ve missed 1 dose I’ve not seen any great change in control if I miss a second dose then my levels start to rise.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I switched from levemir to tresiba for basal about 9 months ago. I now only take one shot a day but find the time range quite forgiving provided that I inject within a 36 hr window.