Metformin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I heard about it but I just added it to the long list of claims for Metformin. Let's see them patent this one. You can probably tell I am not a fan and once said that I would only consider taking Metformin again when they discover it fixes teeth.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having just read the article it looks to me as though it isn't the metformin that is causing the problem, but another drug called nitrosamine, N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA)

The HSA said on Wednesday that three metformin drugs were found to contain a type of nitrosamine, N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA), in trace amounts that are above the internationally acceptable level.

The named brands containing this contaminant are (according to the article)
The recalled drugs are: one batch of the Glucient XR 500mg tablet, supplied by Glorious Dexa Singapore; and all batches of Meijumet prolonged-release tablet in 750mg and 1,000mg versions, supplied by Pharmazen Medicals.

These 3 brands/batches have been recalled, so anyone with them should make sure they return them to the place they got the medication, or to the manufacturer. I am sure there is more info available in Singapore and on the Singapore news on how to do this.

Reactions: Ceppo and PatsyB

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it's fake news. It's the NDMA that's the problem. It's a contaminant found in only a few brands produced overseas and I gather none that we use in the UK.

Reactions: PatsyB

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it's fake news. It's the NDMA that's the problem. It's a contaminant found in only a few brands produced overseas and I gather none that we use in the UK.

I'm sure the people taking those brands of drugs and needing to respond to the recall do not think this is fake news.

The forum is an international community and has members from all over the world, so hopefully this information will help them if they have been prescribed these particular types of Metformin.

Reactions: JenniferM55

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any one else heard the possibility that taking metformin can cause cancer ...this to me is very troubling as am on 2 x twice daily.
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/3-versions-of-diabetes-drug-metformin-recalled
Any one else heard the possibility that taking metformin can cause cancer ...this to me is very troubling as am on 2 x twice daily.
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/3-versions-of-diabetes-drug-metformin-recalled

WAGR57

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't heard that one. I have heard you should take B12 when on Metformin. I had some meformin that smelled like rotten fish. Found it it was a Pharmaceutical company ( I had switched ) went back to my original and it was fine.

Clase

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV
Haven't heard that one. I have heard you should take B12 when on Metformin. I had some meformin that smelled like rotten fish. Found it it was a Pharmaceutical company ( I had switched ) went back to my original and it was fine.
I have to take B12. A couple of years ago my B12 level was low and my doctor explained that taking Metformin long term (about 20 years for me) can create a problem with B12 absorption. I can now get away with 1 every 3 days.

EggsEggsEggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spinach
I am on the same dose of Metformin SR. I have done a lot of reading up on Metformin studies. Recently, a study of women on metformin who caught Covid-19 had a 99% survival rate. Wasn't the same for men. It's thought that Metformin reduces inflammation in the body. A Scandinavian study a few years ago analysed anonymised patient records and discovered that women who were on Metformin, didn't develop breast cancer as much as other women. Last time I saw anything on that, scientists had discovered that a solution of Metformin in a petri dish, killed live breast cancer cells.

One of my Twitter followers is an American internal medicine consultant, who takes one Metformin per day " for its anti-ageing properties'. A GP once told me that Metformin is heart-protective.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Note that in this case two manufacturers were affected, and all pills were the XR or SR extended release. This points to a contaminant creeping into the base material or the enteric coating used. Now patent rights limits what can be used as filler or delay mechanism, and all manufacturers alter these base components to get round paying royalties. Some use different cellulose bases, some use different talcs, some use different whiteners and bleaches in the mix and some are now using varnishes instead , so other pill makes will probably not be affected by this contamination.

Reactions: EggsEggsEggs