1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by PatsyB, Dec 11, 2019.

1. PatsyB

PatsyB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

2. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

Yes I heard about it but I just added it to the long list of claims for Metformin. Let's see them patent this one. You can probably tell I am not a fan and once said that I would only consider taking Metformin again when they discover it fixes teeth.

3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Having just read the article it looks to me as though it isn't the metformin that is causing the problem, but another drug called nitrosamine, N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA)

The HSA said on Wednesday that three metformin drugs were found to contain a type of nitrosamine, N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA), in trace amounts that are above the internationally acceptable level.

The named brands containing this contaminant are (according to the article)
    The recalled drugs are: one batch of the Glucient XR 500mg tablet, supplied by Glorious Dexa Singapore; and all batches of Meijumet prolonged-release tablet in 750mg and 1,000mg versions, supplied by Pharmazen Medicals.

These 3 brands/batches have been recalled, so anyone with them should make sure they return them to the place they got the medication, or to the manufacturer. I am sure there is more info available in Singapore and on the Singapore news on how to do this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Yes, it's fake news. It's the NDMA that's the problem. It's a contaminant found in only a few brands produced overseas and I gather none that we use in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sure the people taking those brands of drugs and needing to respond to the recall do not think this is fake news.

The forum is an international community and has members from all over the world, so hopefully this information will help them if they have been prescribed these particular types of Metformin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. WAGR57

WAGR57 Type 2 · Member

7. WAGR57

WAGR57 Type 2 · Member

Haven't heard that one. I have heard you should take B12 when on Metformin. I had some meformin that smelled like rotten fish. Found it it was a Pharmaceutical company ( I had switched ) went back to my original and it was fine.

8. Clase

Clase Type 2 · Active Member

I have to take B12. A couple of years ago my B12 level was low and my doctor explained that taking Metformin long term (about 20 years for me) can create a problem with B12 absorption. I can now get away with 1 every 3 days.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook