Recovering from Illness

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Looking for some help.

I had a sickness bug at the weekend. During the illness and even now that I am feeling better, I'm struggling to keep my blood glucose up and having to implement a -30% temp basal on my pump

I'm pretty much eating as normal now but still seeing quite a lot of lows. This was also happening in the day or so before the illness kicked in.

Annoyingly my Libre Sensor is reporting around about 4.0 mmol less than what a finger prick is reporting, so I think the sensor is not working as expected.

Is this normal?

I spoke to the hospital clinic, they advised the reduced basal until things go back to the way they were.

Any help is much appreciated.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Sounds about right what your clinic has told you to do with your basal, I would do the same in that situation. With the Libre showing lower than expected could be due to dehydration? Are you keeping yourself hydrated? If it persists, give Abbotts a call and tell them about the major differences and they will replace the sensor for you

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear you've been unwell @dtennant9

As Porl has suggested contact Abbott as it sounds like a rogue sensor and get that replaced, hopefully your levels will come right again soon, good advice to drop the basal too. In regards to normal, there isn't such a thing, illness affects us all differently I tend to find I run high, we all respond differently, just take care with hypos as I tend to bounce in and out of them when my levels run low, I find once i've had one then I get another as my liver uses up the glucose and has to replenish so try and run a bit higher if you do have one so you don't get a yo yo effect.

Reactions: dtennant9

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds about right what your clinic has told you to do with your basal, I would do the same in that situation. With the Libre showing lower than expected could be due to dehydration? Are you keeping yourself hydrated? If it persists, give Abbotts a call and tell them about the major differences and they will replace the sensor for you
Thanks for your reply.
I've just called Abbott there and they are replacing, incidentally this was already a replacement.
Sickness type illness always seems to make me low, I was more concerned on this occasion that I was seeing a lasting effect days later

Reactions: porl69

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a thought this evening, I’m not usually drink huge amounts of water. The last few days I have been drinking a lot more water than I am used to, could that be make my levels lower than usual?:pompous: