What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Prayers and Proverbs 31:10-31 for Julie and you. Hugs.
Thanks @SaskiaKC In an odd way I have a purpose again for a short time at least. I can be left feeling a bit like Lear - an O without a shape - at times. Seems crystal clear atm; make good memories for Julie and the boys. An 89.9 yo mum and grandmother won't be around forever. There will also be time with this young lady and her cousins
6VdUjqsAP2VBTTwFomgcLbo-Ru0eAyuopGjkZGwiRU-sGi2FQST3HPd74oxRVsAVsGRwzjKOZKK5MkDs-t2eHsMofyyrgMFfYdvRWnzH79goMRokwWJV3Rj2mI45gqkL8Hxin6kP

Very timely passage you referenced. God bless you.

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
' morning all. 7.2 fbs for me this morning. I know that's not good but I expected it to be much higher after succumbing to a packet of plain crisps and several chocolates last night following a very upsetting visit with mum at her nursing home. We don't normally have such things in the house but I always have a dish of brightly coloured chocs at Christmas for visitors. They tasted extremely sweet but I ate them anyway. :banghead: I promise to be better behaved today. :angelic:Enjoy your week-end everyone. :)
Made that a winner.
Because the darker the day... The more we need a little light in our lives.

And on a day like yesterday sounds, a little treat sound just the RIGHT thing to take your mind back to a happier place.

No excuses needed for the food choice, I think even the blood score agrees with that.

Have a hug for the day, hope it improves somewhat over the coming weeks or so,
Though I'm guessing many days to follow will be filled with similar downs, Sadly.

THAT WHICH DOESN'T KILL US...MAKES US STRONGER.

Is never truer then when we have to dig in and find the mental fortitude to smile,
in a " is that the best you GOT, Life..?" type of way, as we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves down for another crack at doing our very best for those we love most.

A point often over looked when we are too close to the fire.
But you are doing fantastically well
Full credit to you for doing so well...

No you ARE.. Before you quietly answer me back.:)

THIS part of life challenges many, few come away unscathed.
Your doing a great job looking after mums best interests.

Hugs for the the days ahead x

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Made that a winner.
Because the darker the day... The more we need a little light in our lives.

And on a day like yesterday sounds, a little treat sound just the RIGHT thing to take your mind back to a happier place.

No excuses needed for the food choice, I think even the blood score agrees with that.

Have a hug for the day, hope it improves somewhat over the coming weeks or so,
Though I'm guessing many days to follow will be filled with similar downs, Sadly.

THAT WHICH DOESN'T KILL US...MAKES US STRONGER.

Is never truer then when we have to dig in and find the mental fortitude to smile,
in a " is that the best you GOT, Life..?" type of way, as we pick ourselves up and dust ourselves down for another crack at doing our very best for those we love most.

A point often over looked when we are too close to the fire.
But you are doing fantastically well
Full credit to you for doing so well...

No you ARE.. Before you quietly answer me back.:)

THIS part of life challenges many, few come away unscathed.
Your doing a great job looking after mums best interests.

Hugs for the the days ahead x
Lovely post @jjraak . I hope the news of your nephew continues to be positive. This may seem a tad trite but having read your posts, @dogslife and @Muddy Cyclist it seemed apt https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50858389

Last edited:
Reactions: SaskiaKC

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lovely post @jjraak . I hope the news of your nephew continues to be positive. This may seem a tad trite but having read your post, @dogslife and @Muddy Cyclist it seemed apt https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50858389

Thank you, @ianpspurs for the compliment

And link not trite... Most informative.

Wish we had known so much more when mum was still at home.
Details like your link would have made such a difference looking back.
Did not understand enough about how bewildering every day things, we normally took for granted could be to those affected.. We tried so hard to keep mum 'settled'.but probably made mum feel , LESS comfortable,if truth be told...the TV and sing song would have been a great idea, if we only thought of it.

Doctors told me it's like a basket of eggs.
The disease just takes one or two away from the top of the pile and as time goes on,
the only ones left are the very early years.

Mum, god rest her, thought she was back in Ireland, at work.. And the nurses in her home were colleagues,.. So she would have the craick with them about just being a little tired and would be down to work her shift in a little while...

Most played along, much to everyone's amusement.:D

There were dark days of course, but I do so remember there being lots of laughter and smile as well.:)

Thank you for your post... It was a timely reminder
made me look back and have a little bathe in some happy memories despite it being a
Most difficult time...:happy:

EDIT.
Popped up to niece's last night... Nephew home, on couch.. Watching football.... Whoop. Whoop.

The boys like to nickname every one..
My dad was Rambo, due to trying to stitch his arm himself..:woot::hilarious:

I'm going to throw in Jack Black's "Tenacious D' as a suggestion.... The sheet tenacity of the boy.
A few weeks back, we were told to consider a priest,.. Yet now.:wideyed::happy:
..a Christmas miracle?

Who knows... We are just grateful to have him back among us, so we do thank God.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...kitten duties done so finally I can have my coffee...ooh that does tastes good...busy day head planned whether what needs doing gets done is another matter...had a good sleep the best so far this week...indulged myself yesterday...fire lit good old films watched lounged on the sofa most of the day so enjoyed it...woke to a 6.8.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.5 for no reason I can think of. Lots of pondering, busyness and a Christmas miracle amongst us today. @ianpspurs good luck to Julie and to you running around for everyone. What a beautiful grandaughter you have. @jjraak I am so happy for you all that the boy is well and home for Christmas.
To all who would like or need a hug here’s one.
Have a good Sunday. We are off to the crematorium with red flowers.
Syay/get well, stay safe.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.5 for no reason I can think of. Lots of pondering, busyness and a Christmas miracle amongst us today. @ianpspurs good luck to Julie and to you running around for everyone. What a beautiful grandaughter you have. @jjraak I am so happy for you all that the boy is well and home for Christmas.
Thank you @PenguinMum. We will put some flowers on the grave before heading off on Christmas Eve. 2 wreaths already as Dec 4th was Dad's birthday. There are 3 other granddaughters to choose from and the plan seems to be to add at least 1 more grandchild before this time next year. If Bob or Roberta the builder has done his/her/self identifying/undecided job by then all safely with us in Suffolk. Had the original sale and purchase gone through that was what this year's plan was but Dil (teenage cancer nurse) has to work Christmas night anyhow. Enjoy your own family time with Mr PM and the boys.

Reactions: jjraak

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
22-12-19
5.6 this morning. That's a happier result, in more ways than one. Indicative of reduced stress and better control of self.
Still a few presents to wrap, some for storing until Feb 2020 which is likely to be the earliest we get to see our friends.
Strong winds overnight again. Will be be checking for damage shortly.
Today is tidying up and packing.
Everyone have a good day. May you find that parking space. Pick up the last packet. Have moments of peace.

Reactions: karen8967 and DJC3

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Not sure how penguins do it..

But Swans look pretty serene gliding across the water, even when they must be paddling like crazy
So my guess...Stress, because..:)

Have a good un, enjoy the day,
and think up a sad, soppy movie, and invite the girls in,
let the boys see they can't have it all their own way..:D

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it was quite scary. Animals are perceptive. I remember reading about a cat in a care home who would lay on the bed of a resident who was about to die. Somehow it knew who was going to die. I only hope the residents didn't know that's what the cat did or they would be really scared.

EEK :***:..i hope that is WAY off of the mark...:D

Our adopted Marley has taken to laying on me at night (aka daytime.late night work), for a few minutes of TLC, before nodding off on my chest..:happy:

Curious, like you both say about animals and their perception of our health...fascinating really how they could possibly do it.

Perhaps for some it's more the spirit that leaves us (that mental awareness state) that makes them unable to recognise us.?

Had heard about the benefits of animals in recovery etc, but like @DJC3 i had never thought of it in the reverse direction of how THEY must struggle to cope at times, when those they look to, become 'lost' to them..:sorry:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and a 5.7 greets me today.

Out for lunch with one of my sisters which is going to be a pleasant interlude from the MIL worries.

My Granddaughters keep reminding me how many sleeps until Christmas, 3 apparently, not sure it helps me to know, just seems to add to the panic, could do with the Rabbits Watch form Alice in Wonderland.

@ianpspurs you certainly have a lot of balls to juggle there, I'm sure you will use your considerable skills to not drop any. You are right, Kids and young grandchildren certainly help us get through so much in life. Wishing you all the best and hope the health issues resolve for you and Julie and time and lengthening days are kind to you. Like @jjraak thanks for posting the link.

Hours come and go, they can't be stopped but don't let them pass you by. Enjoy your day.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Awake @ 3.40 finally tested @ 4.40 fbg 6.4. All going well today then. Mixed blessing of madness and caring to occupy me whilst the marriage of inconvenience between me and LC undergoes relationship counselling. Julie has to prepare for tests tomorrow by part fasting, drinking vast amounts including odd things to help internal cameras. Chairs, food, presents, crockery, beds to be delivered to Suffolk which will need 2 cars and Julie can't drive for 24 hrs from midnight. All manner of meat to collect 2 days early on the way. Tuesday is final collection of food here, waiting in for amazon to deliver a present No 2 son has sent late in the game then off to Suffolk with 89.9 yo MIL. Back just in time for me to go to hospital Friday 9.00 am _ could have been 3.30 Christmas Eve. Nothing life threatening but not likely to rebuild my trust in this woe and its impact on my bg. 4th Sunday in Advent, which is a time of reflection and hope - the assurance of a promise which will be fulfilled. So, bigger picture son, bigger picture. O Rex Gentium today, Rex Gentium. Psalm 144 13-16
A lot going on there @ianpspurs - hope that today has some pleasant calms and distractions.

Last edited:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
6.2 but did wake in the night about 2am it was 5.4 so thought hmm and had two jelly babies

Reactions: UserABC2021

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure how penguins do it..

But Swans look pretty serene gliding across the water, even when they must be paddling like crazy
So my guess...Stress, because..:)

Have a good un, enjoy the day,
and think up a sad, soppy movie, and invite the girls in,
let the boys see they can't have it all their own way..:D
On the money JJ as always despite the joy of the season there is an under current of sadness. Need to look at the positives be a Positive Penguin and the great news about your boy gladdens my heart. Btw it could just be that Marley loves you. :happy:

Reactions: dunelm

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Morening all, still not there yet, but.
Mrs J is on the prowl, therefore pacification tea will be the demand, do I prempt the demand or stick my head in the sand.

A 5.7 this morning hmmmm.

Well folks the count down is now underway to the summer solstice yippee.
Enjoy your day, whatever you do, don't act your age, the scripts lousy.

Reactions: karen8967

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s my brothers birthday today - the one who lives in France. So, a phone call; it’s raining and his field is flooding - muddy water in the pool - getting old - SIL now in remission after chemo and drug feeding gadget now removed. It’s all going on. Plan to go over in the spring.

Meanwhile, back at the wonder wheel of a good night’s sleep, a king of the nations 4.6

@jjraak - good new, things swinging upwards - happy days.

Have a great day if you can - koffy

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 today and a relaxing calm before the storm sort of day I think.
@ianpspurs wow! You have a lot going on at the moment. Good luck to you and Julie for your appointments. We are also shifting furniture ( 5 dining chairs, one table and an armchair) but nobody of your MiLs vintage to consider, in fact it appears that I am the most elderly relative left which is a sobering thought. I will insist we watch a lot of old films and hope the dogs still want to cuddle up.
Oh I also have to cook the turkey and transport it round on Christmas morning as daughter’s oven has had a hissy fit and we don’t trust it with anything other than veg now.
@gennepher I love your reference to the unlimited basket of hugs here - that’s exactly right, it’s bottomless.
@dogslife I hope things are more settled with your mum in her nursing home, sometimes chocolates are a necessity to help us through.
@jjraak I had to read your post about your nephew twice - he’s home and on the sofa!!! That really is a Christmas miracle, what a fantastic celebration your family will have.
@Muddy Cyclist enjoy your peaceful lunch with your sister today, sounds like a perfect bit of time out from your Mil worries. Is it tomorrow she moves to the care home near you?
Hugs and best wishes to everyone.