New Year resolutions

Dave UK

Wondered if any of you have made any resolutions yet regarding diabetes ?

I am planning to start the 5 2 diet in order to lose weight & hopefully reverse or lessen the effects of type 2 diabetes so the plan is eat as usual 5 days although I am cutting down on carbs or anything sugary & the other 2 days measure carbs to 500 per day,

It doesnt sound to bad really, has any one tried it or have any positive tips if so Id be happy to hear from you

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cut carbs to an absolute minimum and eat within a restricted window and don't worry so much about the 5:2 bit.
Just eat two meals a day within a 7 hour window. But cutting carbs down is key as it will limit hunger pangs and make fasting far easier.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't bother because I start off with good intentions but don’t stick to ‘em!

Reactions: Lotties

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker is that your New Years resolution?
My understanding, but forgive me if I am wrong, is that is what you are doing today ... with great results.

My NYR is to tighten up a bit more and try to get to my own personal weight target.. another 25 pounds off.

I was giving @Dave UK some words from the "wise"

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like @bulkbiker I want to tighten up - back to full on carnivore and cutting out the high % cocoa chocolate and nuts. Triggering too much eating and weight going on. Needs to stop, so will be following World Carnivore Month in January to kick start things.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
May not be a resolution but definitely going to cut back on meat and fat generally. Last total cholesterol was 6.2 (usually around 4) and over the last 6 months, meat is the only thing I've been eating most days without worrying too much. My GP knows that I can't take statins so that conversation will not take place. She also knows that as of my last series of scans about 4 years ago, the tubes were all clear.

D

Deleted member 308541

Like last year this year again I have resolved to make no resolutions.

That's why I said I will eat more meat it will not get discarded as most people resolutions do after a week of so.

There is no show of me becoming a buddhist or vegan any time ever...

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another who is going to try to lower my intake of carbs even more. I didn't eat any more than usual over Christmas but I want to make sure I don't 'carb creep' and get too relaxed about my carb intake.

I went to a different church than usual and the hosts they use for Communion were about twice the size I am used to. I didn't realise until too late. It made my levels go up just above 7 (starting from a fasting level of under 5. So while it wasn't a lot of carbs- I think as it really wasn't that big, it was too much for me. It reminded me I need to be really careful.

Veryanxious

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots, already on low carb and 18hrs fast. My new resolution would be to meditate.
And figure out what is going and find a cure not just control. Low carb controls sugar just fine.

Reactions: dms1

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's why I said I will eat more meat it will not get discarded as most people resolutions do after a week of so.

There is no show of me becoming a buddhist or vegan any time ever...
Even the Dalai Lama eats meat!
Buddhists can eat meat but not kill animals for it. I guess, logically, that means hyenas and vultures would be welcome if they wished ;P

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'll just carry on being an aspiring vegan buddhist...

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Are you worried by that?

Me personally NO! It was the British Heart Foundation and the World Health Organisation who did some research where they looked at the total cholesterol of people having cardio-vascular events. When numbers of people having a CVE was plotted against total cholesterol there was a rise above 5.4. There was an increase below 5.4 as well suggesting 5.4 as some sort of optimum.

I'm also lucky in that although I didn't want to be rushed to an American Hospital in an ambulance, that's what happened about 4 years ago because some batty doctor said that my elevated troponin levels was an indication of a heart attack. This was either a false positive because they struggled to get any blood out of me, or more likely was that the doctor was falsely referring me for suegery that I didn't need. The result of a Chest X-ray, CT scan, Ultrasound and Echocardiogram/cardiac stress test supposedly showed that I needed a triple bypass although speaking to the individual operators, none had said there was a problems suchs as blockages and I certainly didn't feel bad. Immediately before going to the States I'd dug a hole 15ft X 10ft X 1 ft deep and moved 110 X 25kg bags of pea stones from the DIY store to the bottom of my garden to form the foundations for a shed.

After 24 hours in hospital I'd been smelling something of a rat and said my travel insurance didn't cover triple anythings and I was discharged from hospital. Interestingly, had I been in real need of such drastic invasive, I would have thought flying might have been out of the question, but nothing was said. All the information gathered was sent to my surgery here in the U.K. and as luck would have it, my GPs husband is a cardiologist. His opinion was that I definitely did not need surgery and apart from a slight thickening of the walls of one the ventricles of my heart, it was all looking good . . . . for a 60 year old.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Wondered if any of you have made any resolutions yet regarding diabetes ?

I am planning to start the 5 2 diet in order to lose weight & hopefully reverse or lessen the effects of type 2 diabetes so the plan is eat as usual 5 days although I am cutting down on carbs or anything sugary & the other 2 days measure carbs to 500 per day,

It doesnt sound to bad really, has any one tried it or have any positive tips if so Id be happy to hear from you

500 carbs is so many don't hink I have ever eaten that number even over christmas

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
A few weeks ago I decided to relax my control of carbs and set my self an increased maximum allowance of carbs to 130 grams per day.

So far I have been unable to reach that limit on any given day so I tend to agree with @ronialive 500 would be unattainable for me.

Edit to add
Also 500 grams of carbs = 2000 calories I don't even eat that many calories in a day carbs fats and protein combined.

Last edited: