1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New Year resolutions

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Dave UK, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Dave UK

Dave UK · Member

Wondered if any of you have made any resolutions yet regarding diabetes ?

I am planning to start the 5 2 diet in order to lose weight & hopefully reverse or lessen the effects of type 2 diabetes so the plan is eat as usual 5 days although I am cutting down on carbs or anything sugary & the other 2 days measure carbs to 500 per day,

It doesnt sound to bad really, has any one tried it or have any positive tips if so Id be happy to hear from you

2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Cut carbs to an absolute minimum and eat within a restricted window and don't worry so much about the 5:2 bit.
    Just eat two meals a day within a 7 hour window. But cutting carbs down is key as it will limit hunger pangs and make fasting far easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I don't bother because I start off with good intentions but don’t stick to ‘em!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. bulkbiker

My NYR is to tighten up a bit more and try to get to my own personal weight target.. another 25 pounds off.

I was giving @Dave UK some words from the "wise"

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Like @bulkbiker I want to tighten up - back to full on carnivore and cutting out the high % cocoa chocolate and nuts. Triggering too much eating and weight going on. Needs to stop, so will be following World Carnivore Month in January to kick start things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

May not be a resolution but definitely going to cut back on meat and fat generally. Last total cholesterol was 6.2 (usually around 4) and over the last 6 months, meat is the only thing I've been eating most days without worrying too much. My GP knows that I can't take statins so that conversation will not take place. She also knows that as of my last series of scans about 4 years ago, the tubes were all clear.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bulkbiker

Are you worried by that?

8. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

My nyr is eat more meat with my meals...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Lotties

Lotties Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

NYR
    Carny for Jan.
    Inc. 4-5 day 800 cal once a month.
    VLCHFMP or Carny the rest of the time.
    See where that takes me...
    Good luck to all.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Like last year this year again I have resolved to make no resolutions.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

That's why I said I will eat more meat it will not get discarded as most people resolutions do after a week of so.

There is no show of me becoming a buddhist or vegan any time ever...

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. VashtiB

VashtiB Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm another who is going to try to lower my intake of carbs even more. I didn't eat any more than usual over Christmas but I want to make sure I don't 'carb creep' and get too relaxed about my carb intake.

I went to a different church than usual and the hosts they use for Communion were about twice the size I am used to. I didn't realise until too late. It made my levels go up just above 7 (starting from a fasting level of under 5. So while it wasn't a lot of carbs- I think as it really wasn't that big, it was too much for me. It reminded me I need to be really careful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  13. Veryanxious

Veryanxious Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Lots, already on low carb and 18hrs fast. My new resolution would be to meditate.
    And figure out what is going and find a cure not just control. Low carb controls sugar just fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Lotties

Lotties Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Even the Dalai Lama eats meat!
    Buddhists can eat meat but not kill animals for it. I guess, logically, that means hyenas and vultures would be welcome if they wished ;P

15. dms1

dms1 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think I'll just carry on being an aspiring vegan buddhist...

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Me personally NO! It was the British Heart Foundation and the World Health Organisation who did some research where they looked at the total cholesterol of people having cardio-vascular events. When numbers of people having a CVE was plotted against total cholesterol there was a rise above 5.4. There was an increase below 5.4 as well suggesting 5.4 as some sort of optimum.

I'm also lucky in that although I didn't want to be rushed to an American Hospital in an ambulance, that's what happened about 4 years ago because some batty doctor said that my elevated troponin levels was an indication of a heart attack. This was either a false positive because they struggled to get any blood out of me, or more likely was that the doctor was falsely referring me for suegery that I didn't need. The result of a Chest X-ray, CT scan, Ultrasound and Echocardiogram/cardiac stress test supposedly showed that I needed a triple bypass although speaking to the individual operators, none had said there was a problems suchs as blockages and I certainly didn't feel bad. Immediately before going to the States I'd dug a hole 15ft X 10ft X 1 ft deep and moved 110 X 25kg bags of pea stones from the DIY store to the bottom of my garden to form the foundations for a shed.

After 24 hours in hospital I'd been smelling something of a rat and said my travel insurance didn't cover triple anythings and I was discharged from hospital. Interestingly, had I been in real need of such drastic invasive, I would have thought flying might have been out of the question, but nothing was said. All the information gathered was sent to my surgery here in the U.K. and as luck would have it, my GPs husband is a cardiologist. His opinion was that I definitely did not need surgery and apart from a slight thickening of the walls of one the ventricles of my heart, it was all looking good . . . . for a 60 year old.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Don't have any resolutions, so I'm just reading everyone else's....:D

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

That's been more or less my NY resolution too for the last half century or so...:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. ronialive

ronialive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

500 carbs is so many don't hink I have ever eaten that number even over christmas

20. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

A few weeks ago I decided to relax my control of carbs and set my self an increased maximum allowance of carbs to 130 grams per day.

So far I have been unable to reach that limit on any given day so I tend to agree with @ronialive 500 would be unattainable for me.

Edit to add
    Also 500 grams of carbs = 2000 calories I don't even eat that many calories in a day carbs fats and protein combined.

#20 JohnEGreen, Jan 1, 2020 at 10:51 PM
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook