Back in the day!!!!!!!!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have some pics on my phone of the "good(?) ol days".....will try and find them

Reactions: Robinredbreast

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Just a few
Screenshot_20190131-090605_Facebook.jpeg
palmer.jpeg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I do not have as many years of experience as many on here but I did not have the Libre and I am glad.
We are all different but I know I would not be able to cope with the T1 diagnosis at the same time as the constant focus on my BG and attempting (but failing) to keep my BG in range at all times.
I am happy with my in initial management which was much more relaxed, allowing me to learn the basics rather than guilt at getting it wrong.

However, I am glad I did not have to wee on a stick.

You haven't lived if you haven't peed on a stick lol :hilarious: Men, stand, aim, fire :D...............for ladies, trying to hover and trying to aim, could get a bit messy, then waiting for colour to change whilst holding the wet stick up close to the stick container :wideyed: what fun ;) :hilarious:

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I remember syringes, pork Insulin, peeing on a stick, sterile wipes, testing BG with a sort of downwards catapult type of machine, that would descend at speed into finger and was quite painful at times ..............eh lad's and lassies, those were the days and I'm approaching my 31st year :wideyed:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I remember syringes, pork Insulin, peeing on a stick, sterile wipes, testing BG with a sort of downwards catapult type of machine, that would descend at speed into finger and was quite painful at times ..............eh lad's and lassies, those were the days and I'm approaching my 31st year :wideyed:

Kids today don't know they are born :hilarious::hilarious:

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Trip down memory lane:)

We remember TAB dont know if it was liked or not.
Pork Insulin, then the swap to Human derived stuff caused some fun and games.
Learnt from early on that any food that had "Diabetic" in the title was to be avoided, tasted YUK!
I'm still on pork 50 yrs type 1 !
Remember this syringe
IMG_8895.jpeg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have some pics on my phone of the "good(?) ol days".....will try and find them

I'm wracking my brain now... :banghead:
What was the name of that screw top plastic container, one used to sterilise & keep he glass syringes in?
It had a fluted base which detached to stand it upright & came in a sky blue colour

Reactions: porl69

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What was the name of that screw top plastic container, one used to sterilise & keep he glass syringes in?
It had a fluted base which detached to stand it upright & came in a sky blue colour

Jaylee

The now long-gone company called Hypoguard used to make a small blue plastic flat box to hold needles, antiseptic pads and insulin bottles etc. Inside it was the syringe holder you describe which was sky blue and if I remember correctly, it had a spring inside, at the bottom on which the head of the syringe rested. It had a screw top and I happily used it for years. Bill

Reactions: Seaquest

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Remember them well. Could hold 2 bottles of insulin. Cant find any pics on the interweb for them thou.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jaylee

The now long-gone company called Hypoguard used to make a small blue plastic flat box to hold needles, antiseptic pads and insulin bottles etc. Inside it was the syringe holder you describe which was sky blue and if I remember correctly, it had a spring inside, at the bottom on which the head of the syringe rested. It had a screw top and I happily used it for years. Bill

That's the puppy!
It did have a "stainless steel?" Spring in the bottom... Reminded me of the battery compartment of a "classic" torch. But without the bulb or electrical contacts.

Alas @porl69 , I can't find any reference on the web either..

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a T2D and not an insulin user, My mother was a T1D for over 50 years, and I recognise most of what has been discussed in this thread I remember the steralization being done in the Baby Burco portable boiler thingy, and the size of the needles made me instantly declare that "I was never going to be a Diabetic, coz look what they make you do". I still have a fear of needles, but can survive the routine blood lettings necessary for me now. However, the surgery has a new HCA and she uses the size 20 needles OUCH! and what a bruisw they can leave!

My mother fed us well, and we used to have Betty Crocker Devils Chocolate Cake with the fudge icing. She did a good Pavlova, and a decent Tiramasu. Looking at what we ate, I raise my hat to my Mum, I never saw her hypo, nor go blue light to A&E either. She managed it all excellently, She died before the digital meters became available. My life is so much simpler than what she struggled with, so I wish all of you here a Happy New Year.

One thing I do follow her with, and that is carying around some glucose tabs just in case. I used to beg, borrow, or steal these from her since I found them yummy. Experience has taught me since that this was not a wise move on my part

Reactions: porl69