What do you find the hardest about living with diabetes?

Winnie-the-Pooh

I agree with the fact that knowledge is power . Well said.
Since I was diagnosed , I spend many hours a day going through all the papers I could find on Google Scholar ( based on their citation and yr of publication ) and gather as much info as I can . There is a lot of scientific papers on diabetes and they are not that hard to read (despite me being a mathematician and knowing nothing in medicine at all ). Problem is many of those papers have too many errors in their statistical analysis that one cannot trust the whole field any more . I feel I’m loosing my trust in doctors given the quality of their scientific method :(

I often don’t trust popular science or blogs or anything that is not published by trained scientists following a solid scientific method in a prestigious journal or conference proceeding .

But sometimes all you need emotionally is people telling their stories and experiences so you know you are not alone. There is nothing as comforting as other humans sharing similar experience ( even if it’s of no scientific significance)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
while this is an old thread- I'm not doing so well today. I really try to be upbeat most of the time but today..another wobble.

I have stuck strictly to the very low carb over Christmas but today- well if I never saw meat, fish, cheese- any dairy except milk chocolate again in my life it would be too soon.

Today I don't know if I can continue doing this. I know that I have no alternative really but boy do I ever hate the food. People say they lose their carb cravings- well I really envy them. I've never really liked meat- in particular red meat- before diagnosis I may have eaten it 2 or 3 times a year. I wasn't really a meat eater at all- and definitely not a vegetarian. I was a carb eater which is how I've got here.

I'd love a biscuit- chocolate chip, or a piece of white bread toast with peanut butter and honey or....

I'm not going to do it- but now a days sometimes I am really really hungry but just can't stomach anything I can eat.

I'm too young to retire and my family want me around (why I'm not sure) so no option other than. to keep on. I know I'll get over my round of self pity but before this I never really understood people who said food ws just fuel to keep you going- I thought no food can be so pleasurable, it can be comforting when you're stressed.

Now food is just fuel- not often enjoyable and much more often something you just have to swallow.

Anyway- sorry for the vent- I was hoping here would be somewhere newbies won't read it- no trying g to make anyone else feel down - just needed to get it out.

My diagnosis remains the worst day of my life- I've lost weight and I really needed to but it brings me no joy. Nothing really fills me with joy any more- some days are less bad then others buy joy? no.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today, the third day of Christmas, I ate a lovely fresh salad - quite a large one, with cheese, and had a cup of coffee with cream.
There is a lot of food in the fridges, but this evening I just don't feel like eating, so I didn't.
I suppose that I am lucky in that I don't find it at all difficult to deal with my diabetes. It isn't a problem, it is something I have had for a long time and been telling people how it is, and they have now been proven wrong - I can't cope with carbs, no matter how many times they go on about how I ought to eat them.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the hug- very appreciated. I'm now in a slightly better frame of mind- not feeling particularly wonderful- more resigned I guess. I find that keeping busy usually helps and having a shut down period at work has given me the opportunity to do some real cleaning out at home.

I really appreciate the support that this site offers- I am always thankful for the generosity of everyone here. This site is probably the only really good thin g that has come from the diagnosis. There are always stories of people not being so great on the internet but I really feel this is a safe place and I am very appreciative of the work the mods do to keep it that way- thanks you all.

Reactions: Diakat

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a hug from me too @VashtiB I was diagnosed 10 yrs ago and it hit me hard. A usual days meals consisted of fast food, take aways, chocolate (lots of chocolate) biscuits and cakes. I was constantly eating carbs and therefore constantly eating. On diagnosis and for the first year I started to eat low gi food and lost lot of weight but then life took over and I started back on the comfort of carbs. I had to go onto medication and after a few years of meds and carbs I found this site. Since then I have lowered my hba1c to non diabetic level and lost nearly 4 stone.
I still get the desire to eat badly and have been known to stand outside both McDonald's and KFC sniffing the air!! But I know that as with any addiction one bite will be my downfall.
Have you tried intermittent fasting? I now tend to only eat one meal a day at about 6.30pm (I would rather it was at 12.30pm but family life is such that it needs to be an evening meal. The rest of the day I just drink tea coffee or water. This has helped me to lower my blood glucose and I was even able to sample a small amount of Christmas pudding and Christmas cake over the last couple of days without unduly raising my levels.
Keep plodding on hopefully you will find a way that suits you as low carb has suited me.
I wish you well for the new year.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@VashtiB hug from me too. Have you checked out some veggie options? Supermarkets are doing far better on choices these days - tofu in various flavours is available and there are other low carb veggie proteins around.

aard

the hardest part for me is im a fussy eater and have a sweet tooth. Everything I daf used to have carbs.

I used to eat loads of candy but replaced that with fruit but now cant have lots of fruit.

used to drink loads of coke , replaced with milk but thats out(or at least in volumes I used to drink). I love drinking water but every so often want something different but everything's bad.

used to eat bread to stop me eating loads of crisps but thats out.

hate most non-salad vegetables (cant force myself to eat)
salads tolerable but unejoyable and no matter how much eat left feeling hungry.

if i manage to stick to low carb diet my calorie intake drops to 1000, due to lack of foods i can eat to make up the calories. (theres only so much meat I can eat).

Every suggestion I read for low carb recipes are for things I detest. Its hard enough forcing myself to eat salads every day.

The only thing keeping me going is the thought of losing my legs/eyesight.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the hardest part for me is im a fussy eater and have a sweet tooth. Everything I daf used to have carbs.

I used to eat loads of candy but replaced that with fruit but now cant have lots of fruit.

used to drink loads of coke , replaced with milk but thats out(or at least in volumes I used to drink). I love drinking water but every so often want something different but everything's bad.

used to eat bread to stop me eating loads of crisps but thats out.

hate most non-salad vegetables (cant force myself to eat)
salads tolerable but unejoyable and no matter how much eat left feeling hungry.

if i manage to stick to low carb diet my calorie intake drops to 1000, due to lack of foods i can eat to make up the calories. (theres only so much meat I can eat).

Every suggestion I read for low carb recipes are for things I detest. Its hard enough forcing myself to eat salads every day.

The only thing keeping me going is the thought of losing my legs/eyesight.
Have you tried various no added sugar squashes or cold teas or infused waters for a bit of variety occasionally?

No wonder you’re hungry and miserable though if you’re just eating salad. Have you tried cooking veg in different ways/eating it raw/smothering it in cheese? Have you tried using herbs and spices? Tastebuds may well have changed a bit since cutting out all the sugary carby things and you might get some pleasant surprises if you work your way through the foods you used to dislike. A positive mindset before you taste believing it’s possible you might now like them will help. Seeing it as disgusting food before you even taste really won’t help.

Do you add fats? You need them without the carbs to feel full. Nuts, olive and coconut oils, cheeses, double cream, butter, lard even. No low fat rubbish anything. Fattier cuts of meat etc etc.

aard

i may have given the wrong impression, im not miserable at all, i just cant enjoy eating for pleasure anymore like i used, to which i find hard

Actually on rethinking the hardest part is shopping, where i live we have no independant shops/market and the supermarkets when they have stuff in stock is usually low quality and bland.

Fresh food rarely has a use by date of more than a day (because the shop workers put the newer stuff at front rather than the back).

If i lived in a market town like I used to I think I would find it easier.

Reactions: Winnie-the-Pooh

Winnie-the-Pooh

i may have given the wrong impression, im not miserable at all, i just cant enjoy eating for pleasure anymore like i used, to which i find hard

Actually on rethinking the hardest part is shopping, where i live we have no independant shops/market and the supermarkets when they have stuff in stock is usually low quality and bland.

Fresh food rarely has a use by date of more than a day (because the shop workers put the newer stuff at front rather than the back).

If i lived in a market town like I used to I think I would find it easier.

I completely know what you mean. I used to be a foodie. I never ate much and I never ate unhealthy . But I did enjoy food and lots of my social activities were evolved around it. Sadly no more .

I live in an area with lots of markets and whole food and garment food and ingredients. I cannot think of anywhere else to offer as much variety and diversity . Still finding tasty food for diabetic ppl is very hard .
I used to buy really wonderful pastries from a French bakery nearby on weekends , or some really fine handmade dark chocolates . Now it’s just a dream

So regardless of where u live , finding good food for diabetic ppl is hard . And those who should advocate for more diversity and inclusion in food industry , are fighting over petty diet religious wars and compete over whose diet is better.

I think we all should do whatever we can to raise awareness and demand a more diabetic friendly food culture . I cannot even find a decent diabetic cake mix . Everything we have tried was a disaster .

I bought a sample of every low carb pasta in supermarkets that sold garment and fancier products . While I did find relatively good edible choices that did not raise my blood sugar ( for example with edamame beans ), nothing was what I would consider remotely as delicious as normal pasta . It’s like part of my life is gone .

And don’t get me started on bread or chocolate.
I found a relatively ok diabetic friendly dark chocolate but it’s nothing compared to what I used to enjoy and it’s more expensive than those luxury handmade chocolates. It’s outrageous.

Oh and all those plant based milk products are horrible . I used to drink low fat lactose free milk but now one glass of it sends my blood sugar to 180
Still looking for a drinkable plant based milk !

I miss my food and I’m not ashamed to say it. I do miss my food Good food is good for both soul and body . We deserve to enjoy food and to eat for pleasure . Nothing wrong with it and we deserve to have delicious diabetic friendly healthy choices. I want to enjoy life and part of it is food .

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not take the food from the back?