Ketones and T1s - what's a normal level?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
So, I've been T1 for 49 years, and never had a DKA, and only very occasionally tested for ketones in my urine, occasionally got a trace but usually none.

So recently when I mentioned to my consultant that I'd never had a DKA or tested for ketones she enthusiastically issued me with a blood testing meter which also tests ketones, and I've been experimenting.

The results I get vary between 0.2mmol/L and 0.7mmol/L, mostly at the low end of that. Is this normal? Should I worry that it's never zero?

Though I'm relatively low carb (less than 100g per day, usually less than 80g) I'm by no means on a ketogenic diet.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Mine are usually 2-2.5 which is fine for me.
When are you testing, if it’s first thing, you may just be showing some starvation ketones.
D548C04A-6CC7-4F81-A69D-E2320E5341BD.jpeg

Reactions: Jaylee

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Ellie-M . Up until about 6 yrs ago I had no idea what ketones were. It was only after 20 yrs + as T1 and on a DAFNE course that a discussion about ketones became part of my life.
Like yourself I’ve never been ill with dka. Since being given keto sticks I’ve maybe checked my ketones 3/4 times and only then when I’ve been ill with something.
Have I been lucky or am I just stupid with appreciating the dangers of raised ketones? I don’t know.
Most definitely not a role model, in range 85% time type.:)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Mine are usually 2-2.5 which is fine for me.
When are you testing, if it’s first thing, you may just be showing some starvation ketones.
View attachment 37589

Well it was .2 when I tested this morning, so I guess that was a fasting level. But I've also tested at other times of day, mainly if I feel a bit "off", and the results seem much the same.

On the nutritional ketosis front, I'd quite like to lose some kilos. If I'm losing fat will I automatically go into nutritional ketosis? Or can I lose weight without it?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well it was .2 when I tested this morning, so I guess that was a fasting level. But I've also tested at other times of day, mainly if I feel a bit "off", and the results seem much the same.

On the nutritional ketosis front, I'd quite like to lose some kilos. If I'm losing fat will I automatically go into nutritional ketosis? Or can I lose weight without it?
I’m not sure, tbh. I don’t think so, it only happens with a drastic last of carbs, less than 30g a day for most people.

I’ve put on weight doing it but figured the greater risk to my long term health is high blood glucose.

Reactions: EllieM and porl69