1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Ketones and T1s - what's a normal level?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by EllieM, Jan 2, 2020.

1. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So, I've been T1 for 49 years, and never had a DKA, and only very occasionally tested for ketones in my urine, occasionally got a trace but usually none.

So recently when I mentioned to my consultant that I'd never had a DKA or tested for ketones she enthusiastically issued me with a blood testing meter which also tests ketones, and I've been experimenting.

The results I get vary between 0.2mmol/L and 0.7mmol/L, mostly at the low end of that. Is this normal? Should I worry that it's never zero?

Though I'm relatively low carb (less than 100g per day, usually less than 80g) I'm by no means on a ketogenic diet.

2. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Mine are usually 2-2.5 which is fine for me.
    When are you testing, if it’s first thing, you may just be showing some starvation ketones.
    D548C04A-6CC7-4F81-A69D-E2320E5341BD.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Ellie-M . Up until about 6 yrs ago I had no idea what ketones were. It was only after 20 yrs + as T1 and on a DAFNE course that a discussion about ketones became part of my life.
    Like yourself I’ve never been ill with dka. Since being given keto sticks I’ve maybe checked my ketones 3/4 times and only then when I’ve been ill with something.
    Have I been lucky or am I just stupid with appreciating the dangers of raised ketones? I don’t know.
    Most definitely not a role model, in range 85% time type.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well it was .2 when I tested this morning, so I guess that was a fasting level. But I've also tested at other times of day, mainly if I feel a bit "off", and the results seem much the same.

On the nutritional ketosis front, I'd quite like to lose some kilos. If I'm losing fat will I automatically go into nutritional ketosis? Or can I lose weight without it?

6. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I’m not sure, tbh. I don’t think so, it only happens with a drastic last of carbs, less than 30g a day for most people.

I’ve put on weight doing it but figured the greater risk to my long term health is high blood glucose.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook