Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
People also use products like this to help them transition away from meat and onto a plant based diet. And they can be really handy in a pinch when you’re out and about and need to grab something to eat. I made sure to locate the nearest Greggs to my usual A&E department when I’m working in the ambulance, if I needed to get food and wasn’t able to get back to base for my meal break, just in case. Also, they’re lovely. I’ve always loved sausage rolls.

Exactly the same here. It was lovely to easily find something yummy to eat when out as Greggs seem to be just about everywhere.

I'm not sure why all the criticism from meat eaters - this thread is on the vegetarian diet forum.

Reactions: LooperCat

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly the same here. It was lovely to easily find something yummy to eat when out as Greggs seem to be just about everywhere.

I'm not sure why all the criticism from meat eaters - this thread is on the vegetarian diet forum.
I hope you're not including me in that. I was just asking an honest question. When I was put off meat years ago I couldn't stand the texture of it so wouldn't want something that was so similar to meat. The point about not eating pork for religious reasons that LooperCat made was something I hadn't thought of either.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As long as it’s not dessicated coconut, liver or kidneys then I’m up for trying one. Life on the edge;)

Come on mate. Set yer sights a little higher...?
Rubbing shoulders with a star studded diners at a film industry "red carpet" back patting excercise with a hot date & split blousing for what executive chef Matthew Morgan has to offer...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Yes it is in the vegetarian section. I know Greggs has always been very popular, I would of least liked to try one, but unfortunately I can't ( that's my only gripe) :rolleyes:
That would be repulsive. I’m allergic to liver and kidneys. Brings me out in a “offal” rash:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:.

Please don't give up your day job lol o_O:D

Reactions: zand and porl69

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think vegetarians and vegans eat them because they are tasty and enjoyable and don't contain meat and so don't have all the associated pain and suffering involved in the production of the meat variety. My meat eating husband also enjoys them saying they taste better than the meat ones.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably but I don't think people are choosing it simply based on carbs are they?
I don't think so, but post #2 seemed to be suggesting that was a good reason to eat them.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Chook, I might be misinterpreting other posts of yours, but if you're going down the gluten free route at the moment, it's noteworthy the pasty has wheat flour in it?

I saw these a couple of weeks ago, whilst in Greggs purchasing MrB's annual standard sausage roll. He's not LC they just tend to give him indigestion, so he severely limits his indulgence.

Edited to correct and autocorrect

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I hope you're not including me in that. I was just asking an honest question. When I was put off meat years ago I couldn't stand the texture of it so wouldn't want something that was so similar to meat. The point about not eating pork for religious reasons that LooperCat made was something I hadn't thought of either.
As an observer, my concern is non-disclosure of the full ingredients. Some of the competitive alternative burgers have recently rightly come under the spotlight regarding their ingredients list. Everyone in this list is an experienced foodie so understands the implications of junk food, so make an informed decision, the general public do not. I wouldn't go near this food like clearly tasty item, and at 18% pork, if someone handed me the meat version I would bin it immediately. What a corrupt system allowing this percentage to be acceptable, it should be at least 85% and the fillers all listed. If this company in my view dupes people with 18% meat content, what are they doing with the rest of their food-like stuff, let alone "sausage" rolls.

Reactions: jjraak and zand

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't think so, but post #2 seemed to be suggesting that was a good reason to eat them.
I mentioned the carb count, because as types ones (part of the reason I tagged the thread as such) when we know the carb count of a food, we can dose the appropriate amount of insulin for it. It’s essential information for us. These sausage rolls are surprisingly low in carbs, considering they’re basically junk food.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Chook, I might be misinterpreting other posts of yours, but if you're going down the gluten free route at the moment, it's noteworthy the pasty has wheat flour in it?

I saw these a couple of weeks ago, whilst in Greggs purchasing MrB's annual standard sausage roll. He's not LC the Justin tend to give him indigestion, so he severely limits his indulgence.

These came in very handy during over the period I had to stay with relatives when my MIL died. I couldn't ask other people to cater for my vegetarian, low carb AND gluten way of eating.

Reactions: lovinglife

Little Bird

Yes but what is the pastry made from.. seed oils presumably? And palm oil?
Does that mean you personally oppose the use of Palm oil? And if so, what is your objection? Do you apply a different ethic or value to an Orangutan than you do to a cow or sheep or pig or other animal?

Reactions: MargaretR

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does that mean you personally oppose the use of Palm oil?
I wouldn't eat it out of choice.
And if so, what is your objection?
Highly likely to be unhealthy for me.
Do you apply a different ethic or value to an Orangutan than you do to a cow or sheep or pig or other animal?
Not particularly although I have never tried any monkey it would be hard as I try to eat locally sourced food rather than things that are flown in from overseas.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some pastry. And a Quorn sausage.
From the Metro
---->
We went to the source (Greggs), who confirmed that yes, the sausage is vegan, and no, it is not just a large carrot. Instead, the vegan sausage inside a delightful vegan pastry case is made of the same stuff as Quorn sausages. That’s because Greggs actually teamed up with Quorn to make a unique vegan filling, using Quorn’s mycoprotein.

Mycoprotein is made using a type of mould called Fusarium venenatum strain PTA-2684. Quorn takes this and adds oxygen, nitrogen, glucose, and minerals, then lets it ferment and dry. That might not sound particularly appetising, but it’s free of any animal cruelty and creates that yummy meaty texture.
<-----

https://www.mycoprotein.org/how-is-mycoprotein-made

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These came in very handy during over the period I had to stay with relatives when my MIL died. I couldn't ask other people to cater for my vegetarian, low carb AND gluten way of eating.
I certainly wasn't rebuking you for having a vegan sausage roll, it was more to be sure you're aware of the wheat element, now you're going GF.

I do, however totally get making the best choice available in any given situation. It happens all the time, but understand you were sort of in extremis

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
A number of posts have been removed for both derailing this thread as well as bickering.

A reminder of our forum rules:

B3. Diet is a relevant, but sensitive topic and should be treated as such. Please be considerate to other people’s dietary choices.
B9. Posters whose posts are serially edited or removed, will be subject to warnings and/or a ban from the relevant thread or entire Forum.

Please note this is relevant to all diet related threads, members should respect each others views and opinions. Sensible debate is fine but continued bickering isn't acceptable and so warnings will be issued if this continues. I would also add that if you don't have anything constructive to say then please do not post.

Reactions: Salvia and Chook