Omnipod DASH

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I noticed that the UK myomnipod site is now marketing the Omnipod DASH pump, has anyone switched or know anything about UK availability?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am scheduled to get a DASH upgrade mid Jan. So it must be available now in the UK.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just a heads up on Dash -- it doesn't have a built in blood testing meter , so an additional meter will need to be carried

Reactions: Juicyj

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am scheduled to get a DASH upgrade mid Jan. So it must be available now in the UK.
So are you based in London?. That's the only borough that I've seen anything on about availability.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am currently going through the process of moving onto a pump. I attended a session on the various pumps on offer locally. The omnipod dash is one of them. The handset looks very much a mobile phone. It looks like a mobile. Indi locally starting pumping from this month will be starting on it. Not sure if people already using the omnipod locally will be changing onto the new system.

Hope this is of some help

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump

I would be really interested in your feedback on the Dash. I am going to ask about the chances of upgrading the PDM at my sons next clinic appointment in March. He has been on the Omnipod for just short of five years now.

Hoping for some additional features such as more then 7 basal settings.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same - my clinic said they were happy to leave me on the old ones so I could continue looping, as it’s not compatible with Dash.

I don’t loop at the moment, I kind of want to but as I’ve been offered the DASH and I am happy with my HBA I will go for it. Maybe one of the looping things will figure out theDash pods in the future. Especially as the US are getting the official loop releases (Tidepool and Horizon). No uk release in sight.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would be really interested in your feedback on the Dash. I am going to ask about the chances of upgrading the PDM at my sons next clinic appointment in March. He has been on the Omnipod for just short of five years now.

Hoping for some additional features such as more then 7 basal settings.

I think it’s just a improved PDM (basically a small cheap android phone - locked down) with additional food library.

Binary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Ok, touchscreen keyboard would be nice, certainly more likely to set up meals as we found the current PDM to slow to type with.

Reactions: himtoo

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, going by my enquiries all users of the current system need to see out the 4 year warranty period before they can switch to the DASH. There is a plan for people to purchase the new DASH handset themselves via Insulet and then bypass this restriction but they do not know the cost of this. I'd imagine it to be in the hundreds seeing as it's a locked down Samsung phone.

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Following this as hoping to go on this from summer. My DSN isn’t keen but it is available where I am. Thanks

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, going by my enquiries all users of the current system need to see out the 4 year warranty period before they can switch to the DASH. There is a plan for people to purchase the new DASH handset themselves via Insulet and then bypass this restriction but they do not know the cost of this. I'd imagine it to be in the hundreds seeing as it's a locked down Samsung phone.

Get ready, its a £49.99 Nuu A1+. Kinda ideal tbh. Its not going to be slick as a Samsung but it should be overkill for running the app.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sideburnt Ok so not sure about early upgrading, but out of pocket replacements of PDMs are between 300-400. Ouch for a base 49.99 phone. I understand it would always be higher cost as the phone has to have mods and CFW put on it but that does seem steep. I would like to know how they worked out this markup. One thing is that is still miles cheaper than other out of pocket pumps that seem to be 1K plus. Step in the right direction in a roundabout way.

WendyC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm due to get my pump replaced and after talking to my team have decided to go for the Dash. Does anybody know if there is a blood glucose meter included or will that need to be pur based separately?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm due to get my pump replaced and after talking to my team have decided to go for the Dash. Does anybody know if there is a blood glucose meter included or will that need to be pur based separately?
You’ll need to use a separate meter as the Dash control unit doesn’t have one built in like the Omnipod Eros PDM does.