Keto and Constipation

Laconic

Sometimes going every other day, apples were great but out of bounds now what foods on keto would help...
I think too much protein meat eggs bacon sausage is the cause, I’ve heard that broccoli helps, but what else any advice please

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Foods higher in magnesium or a magnesium supplement helps some. Others use linseed or chia seeds to add fibre (which can help or hinder btw) more fats have a loosening effect for many. Obviously more fluids too. Assuming, as mentioned above, it is constipation as opposed to less waste to dispose of.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Brussels sprouts - works every time.

Reactions: joss.t2

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As long as the motions are firm but not too hard and you don't feel uncomfortable then going every other day is fine.
https://www.cnwl.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/Healthy_Bowel-_Patient_Information_leaflet.pdf

I always found cutting sugar from my diet had a drastic impact so when I went low carb I switched to a breakfast of milled flaxseed with a little oatbran and chia. That along with loads of cauliflower and green veg/salad plus drinking enough water keeps everything moving.

My 'porridge' started with more oatbran and less flaxseed/chia then I slowly switched over as I got used to it. If you want it even lower carb then cut out the oatbran completely.

2 dessertsp milled flaxseed
1 dessertsp chia seeds
1 dessertsp oatbran ( lower carbs than rolled oats)
200ml boiling water, less if using a spoon of coconut milk

Microwave in deep bowl for 2.5 mins
stir in a pinch of salt and a good sprinkle of cinnamon
add sweetener if needed
top with double cream

Little Bird

Is Psyllium husk powder acceptable with keto? I have a friend who swears by it but she not diabetic though. It can make her toot a bit too but if your constipated you may be doing that anyway!

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Erm, eating enough fats will help keep you "well lubricated"! But I agree with @bulkbiker, there may simply be less waste for you to dispose of.

lindisfel

Expert
It gets worse as one gets older. I am thinking I may have to go onto Metformin as a substitute for rocket fuel! :)

Would love to be able to imitate the song of the Humpback whale!
D.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cinnamon works, I found that out accidentally added too much to breakfast but are it anyway.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is often something which requires a bit of adjustment - it is the biological equivalent of GIGO, the foods are more nutritious, more is digested, so there is less residue.
Even my huge salads - in hot weather I can eat one twice a day, don't result in much to get rid of.
If you are concerned, adding a scant teaspoon of psyllium husk either as the husk or as flour can help but it requires a lot of water to soak into it - you can get stomach ache and indigestion as it sucks your stomach contents dry, so a glass of water before eating and another one afterwards are a good idea.

Little Bird

It is often something which requires a bit of adjustment - it is the biological equivalent of GIGO, the foods are more nutritious, more is digested, so there is less residue.
Even my huge salads - in hot weather I can eat one twice a day, don't result in much to get rid of.
If you are concerned, adding a scant teaspoon of psyllium husk either as the husk or as flour can help but it requires a lot of water to soak into it - you can get stomach ache and indigestion as it sucks your stomach contents dry, so a glass of water before eating and another one afterwards are a good idea.
Yes I am given to understand psyllium is very good for this, but wasn't sure if keto suitable. As said earlier though it can make you toot a bit! So maybe be selective about when you use it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Keto is such a vague term, but as psyllium husk is usefully low carb and effective in such small amounts, I'd recommend it as a thing to try.

joss.t2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is Psyllium husk powder acceptable with keto? I have a friend who swears by it but she not diabetic though. It can make her toot a bit too but if your constipated you may be doing that anyway!