Hi

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I was diagnosed just before Christmas.

I had piled on a lot of weight over the last 5 years due to injury's that restricted my Mobility, before that I led a very active and busy life.

I had a few bloods over the last 6-9 months with two coming back at 42, then my last one came in at 54.

I was then told I was T2 weight at this time was 134 kg Nov 19.

I was given my Monitor and spent the last 6 weeks learning what my body could deal with, what spiked and what was good.

I have switched from what I did see as a healthy diet fruit/veg/lean meats with pasta/rice (I did a lot of weight lifting)

I am now utilising a LC Diet (Under 50G a day) and intermittent fasting twice a week. 1800-1200.

Effectively cutting out all bread pasta and potatoes.

My average bloods for the first 4 weeks varied.

Morning 100-115

Post Meals 120-145

End of day 120.

I have now reduced my weight down to 120KG, my target weight is 85KG.

My readings are now

Morning 80-95

Post Meals 105-125

End of Day 90-105

I am pretty good at routine and sticking to things, so new diet will be ok learning new stuff all the time (who knew i liked homous!!!!)

I have my next review in two weeks and presume they will run my bloods again, I am just hoping I have done enough to have avoided the need for any medication. I am 34 and have kids and feel guilty now I've put myself in this situation that I may end up too sick to support them and my wife ect.

So there we go!

Cheers.

P.

Reactions: NitinHP

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I was diagnosed just before Christmas.

I had piled on a lot of weight over the last 5 years due to injury's that restricted my Mobility, before that I led a very active and busy life.

I had a few bloods over the last 6-9 months with two coming back at 42, then my last one came in at 54.

I was then told I was T2 weight at this time was 134 kg Nov 19.

I was given my Monitor and spent the last 6 weeks learning what my body could deal with, what spiked and what was good.

I have switched from what I did see as a healthy diet fruit/veg/lean meats with pasta/rice (I did a lot of weight lifting)

I am now utilising a LC Diet (Under 50G a day) and intermittent fasting twice a week. 1800-1200.

Effectively cutting out all bread pasta and potatoes.

My average bloods for the first 4 weeks varied.

Morning 100-115

Post Meals 120-145

End of day 120.

My readings are now

Morning 80-95

Post Meals 105-125

End of Day 90-105

I am pretty good at routine and sticking to things, so new diet will be ok learning new stuff all the time (who knew i liked homous!!!!)

I have my next review in two weeks and presume they will run my bloods again, I am just hoping I have done enough to have avoided the need for any medication. I am 34 and have kids and feel guilty now I've put myself in this situation that I may end up too sick to support them and my wife ect.

So there we go!

Cheers.

P.
Hi Peaky.

You're doing almost everything right. Almost? Yeah, almost. You didn't do this to yourself you know. So no guilt. There's a few things that cause T2. That'd be genetics, or medication. So you didn't do anything wrong, okay? You followed a diet which has been hammered into just about everyone as being healthy, which is why diabetes is now prevalent across the first world countries. You didn't know you couldn't process carbs properly, so... What else were you to do?

Anyway, good on you for taking the bull by the horns eh. You're doing really well, and your next HbA1c will show as much, I'm sure.
Jo

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree completely with @JoKalsbeek . You are doing great but you didn't do this to yourself You've already seen how quickly you've lost weight by doing low carb. If you knew that years ago you would never have weighed what you weighed at the start. It's actually surprising how quickly your body rewards you for doing the right thing- blood sugars come down and you lose some weight.

You've made a great start and I'm am sure you will continue- it will be interesting to see your doctor's reaction- hopefully over the moon about how far you've come in such a short time.

Reactions: Little Bird

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning 100-115..uk 5.6/6.4

Post Meals 120-145 uk 6.7/8.1

End of day 120...uk 6.7

uk 264 lbs../ 187 lbs

My readings are now

Morning 80-95..uk 4.4/5.3

Post Meals 105-125 uk 5.8/6.9

End of Day 90-105..uk 5./ 5.8

sorry @MrPeaky ..i struggle seeing the the good without the conversion to uk.

a fantastic achievement..well done

from where i see it (not withstanding the fact we DO NOT make this happen)
your family will be fine.

YOU saw the dangers..YOU took action.
Proper dad style, in my eyes...:D

i would add that the exercise part while also important, it is the diet that does all the heavy lifting.

for me, i read that resistance training, weights etc, offer the best way forward.

kind of makes sense..we need the food for energy, so we eat, and we then store it until needed.
make the muscles work and the call goes out for Glucose.
so a little light workout with a resistance belt or dumbbell sets the alarm call, and the excess glucose gets used by the lifting muscles.

i use weights and the gym, but when on hols or at work i use the wife's yoga bands to help up the muscles use up that glucose .

good luck, fine works so far

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank-you all for your kind words and input.

Been for my eye test today all was clear except one small dot which was far away from the middle part (I can't remember what he called it). But was only visible under maximum magnification, and he said it may or may not be diabetic related, and if I hadn't presented as T2 he wouldn't have noted it down to discuss.

So that was a positive for today, other than that eyes are all perfect and good!

I see the UK numbers but my meter reports it in mg/dl (Accu-Check Aviva Black) So I have just got used to writing it down that way, will be sure to include both conversions in future =D

I was/am a big gym goer I did Olympic lifting an for a while so was moving lots of heavy weights, but when I my BP was raised I stopped, once I get down to close to 85kg/187lbs I hope to be able to start some weight lifting and gain some healthy mass keeping BS low with low body fat!

I've spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks reading up on various articles and studies, as well as on here. I have a few questions that maybe people have asked / answered before, and my interpretation of what I have read; please point out anything that is incorrect =D (Turns out I did a lot of rambling after this sorry)

HB1AC is my 2-3 Month average, and is the usual way to diagnose T2, over the last 6 months of tests 42/42/54, before that it was never above 37. The only change to myself over this period was quick weight gain of around 10KG that went on and stayed on and my HB1AC was at 42.

Once This came in the second time I went on what I though was the healthy diet strictly and in doing so I ended up eating more carbs, I cut out the fatty foods and full fat items, replaced with low fat lean, veg, wholegrain , sweet pots (fruit and fibre....ha!). After two months I was HB1AC 54!!

1/2

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2/2

I will have to wait to see what I come back at, but using my comparison charts, and average figures my predicted HB1AC would be 37 on the last month. Now the only thing I have changed in my diet was reducing carbs that before my reading of 42 I hardly ate anyway. The only excess carbs I did ingest came from protein shakes/intra/post workouts.

I am guessing my intolerance was masked by my active life style, and only when I added the new protein shakes and extras that it spiked.? Then when I added more carbs that were not normal into the mix, all hell broke loose!

I have read a lot of information with regards to Normal/Pre/T2 blood ranges.

The post Prad range of up to 7.8 two hours after eating, from what I can gather and understand I want to be keeping that to max 140/7.8 after one hour, and having no spikes above it at all?

With this in mind, does this mean if I was to eat a carbier/oilier meal and spike to 8.9/ 160 after an hour but return to 5.8-6.7/ 105-120 after 2 hours, I would just be masking issues, or would a spike for an hour not propose a significant risk factor?

I am of the understanding spikes = bad, but we are human and the occasional treat would be nice if I ever get back to a way that allows it, and if it won't be a serious risk. Fortunately I have never had a sweet tooth!!!

Meters. I have the Accu-Check Aviva rite now, but once I am under control either though sorting it myself or worst case meds, I am aware that UK NHS will not provide strips/equip above what they will class as needed.

So best systems/devices to look at for self purchase?

Thanks for all your advice so far its made a huge difference.

Talk to you soon.

P.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was/am a big gym goer I did Olympic lifting an for a while so was moving lots of heavy weights, but when I my BP was raised I stopped, once I get down to close to 85kg/187lbs I hope to be able to start some weight lifting and gain some healthy mass keeping BS low with low body fat!

I've spent a lot of time over the last 6 weeks reading up on various articles and studies, as well as on here. I have a few questions that maybe people have asked / answered before, and my interpretation of what I have read; please point out anything that is incorrect =D (Turns out I did a lot of rambling after this sorry)

HB1AC is my 2-3 Month average, and is the usual way to diagnose T2, over the last 6 months of tests 42/42/54, before that it was never above 37. The only change to myself over this period was quick weight gain of around 10KG that went on and stayed on and my HB1AC was at 42.

Once This came in the second time I went on what I though was the healthy diet strictly and in doing so I ended up eating more carbs, I cut out the fatty foods and full fat items, replaced with low fat lean, veg, wholegrain , sweet pots (fruit and fibre....ha!). After two months I was HB1AC 54!!

1/2

congrats on the eyes..nice report.
for many the eyes can come back as abnormal, so i believe,
BUT it is just the fluctuation in diet and next time most seem to be fine.

HBA1C ..correct..it's the universally accepted average.(weighted toward last few weeks)
so while we can eat ok, the stresses of life can raise it, plus of course those foods that start slow then spike for a while that we miss, hence why meter is the way froward..(it's all so individual)
weight gain is a symptom for many of T2..i gained weight and just thought it was getting older, but we really eat the same just lay down fats (weight) that we can't metabolically shift.

yep many of us confused by the eating healthy thing
i ate the 'healthy' way for 10 years and just got sicker and sicker

but good news the rose coloured glasses are now well and truly off, right.
low fat measn they take out the good..and because it now taste ..YUK..
put in the bad ..aka sweeteners etc, so low fat is more palatable, but no good for us T2's

I my predicted HB1AC would be 37 on the last month. Now the only thing I have changed in my diet was reducing carbs that before my reading of 42 I hardly ate anyway. The only excess carbs I did ingest came from protein shakes/intra/post workouts.

I am guessing my intolerance was masked by my active life style, and only when I added the new protein shakes and extras that it spiked.? Then when I added more carbs that were not normal into the mix, all hell broke loose!

I have read a lot of information with regards to Normal/Pre/T2 blood ranges.

The post Prad range of up to 7.8 two hours after eating, from what I can gather and understand I want to be keeping that to max 140/7.8 after one hour, and having no spikes above it at all?

With this in mind, does this mean if I was to eat a carbier/oilier meal and spike to 8.9/ 160 after an hour but return to 5.8-6.7/ 105-120 after 2 hours, I would just be masking issues, or would a spike for an hour not propose a significant risk factor?

I am of the understanding spikes = bad, but we are human and the occasional treat would be nice if I ever get back to a way that allows it, and if it won't be a serious risk. Fortunately I have never had a sweet tooth!!!

Meters. I have the Accu-Check Aviva rite now, but once I am under control either though sorting it myself or worst case meds, I am aware that UK NHS will not provide strips/equip above what they will class as needed.

So best systems/devices to look at for self purchase?

Spikes are bad..and the odd one i would say is fine..(we are after all only human)
but for those who went before us, taking the bad eatwell advice those spikes would be constant.
so your meter IS your new best friend.

the barely eating, is the product of not eating enough..as in upping the fats
we all believed the hype, so your not alone.

but upping the fats , better carbs, and portion control all play a part.
for me the fats are.
butter
cheese
cream
fats already ON meats aka rind, etc
and avocado etc
i doubt i have added much more fats, then i did before eating 'Healthy' for 10 years, but i now eat far LESS carbs

all my bloods ratios went back to normal on the diet that would, should,.. so they say KILL me stone dead..
go figure :woot::D

i use the codefree..cheap to buy and strips are cheap too.

proviso: a few have reported it's inaccurate..(they all are)
but for me it's the TREND i watch, so if it's out by 0.5 on day one, it's out everyday by 0.5
so the trend still shows.

as a topic that comes up often..
WHEN to test.in morning.?
in bed, out of bed, yadda, yadda

keep it the SAME each time and the trend stays constant.

personally i wake up,
put on kettle
bathroom to pee,
make tea,
then test..
whether that is an early start or a lie in
the secret is to be constant
THAT is the TREND you want to follow.

over time you'll see the numbers at all times going down,
IF you are doing it right.
IF not you just need to look at what the meter says and adjust the foods OR portions.

many fast for a day or two.
i can't do that.

many also go OMAD..one meal a day
i can do that, but most days i am ..2mad..2 meals a day
and no snacks, but that can be hard early days

so Biltong . pepparami, cheese, all these IF in fridge give you a good chance to avoid the easy carbs to eat..a slice of bread, some toast, etc

your looking good so far, informed and you sound determined.to do well.

i think you got this.

(as for weights at that level :woot:..look up @johnpol ..this guys lifts seriously BIG weights..you might find HIS posts of much interest... he is .T1, not T2 though, do bear that in mind if following advice, top bloke. )..

Last edited:

aard

1/2

Curious why did you stop? My bp was around 160/110 and i was put on meds but I still continued weight lifting and the Dicx had no problem with this.

I find my bp is lowest after a weight training session. by a considerable amount.
Why would you wait to 85kg? I’m about 100kg and still weight lift.

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
congrats on the eyes..nice report.
for many the eyes can come back as abnormal, so i believe,
BUT it is just the fluctuation in diet and next time most seem to be fine.

HBA1C ..correct..it's the universally accepted average.(weighted toward last few weeks)
so while we can eat ok, the stresses of life can raise it, plus of course those foods that start slow then spike for a while that we miss, hence why meter is the way froward..(it's all so individual)
weight gain is a symptom for many of T2..i gained weight and just thought it was getting older, but we really eat the same just lay down fats (weight) that we can't metabolically shift.

yep many of us confused by the eating healthy thing
i ate the 'healthy' way for 10 years and just got sicker and sicker

but good news the rose coloured glasses are now well and truly off, right.
low fat measn they take out the good..and because it now taste ..YUK..
put in the bad ..aka sweeteners etc, so low fat is more palatable, but no good for us T2's

Spikes are bad..and the odd one i would say is fine..(we are after all only human)
but for those who went before us, taking the bad eatwell advice those spikes would be constant.
so your meter IS your new best friend.

the barely eating, is the product of not eating enough..as in upping the fats
we all believed the hype, so your not alone.

but upping the fats , better carbs, and portion control all play a part.
for me the fats are.
butter
cheese
cream
fats already ON meats aka rind, etc
and avocado etc
i doubt i have added much more fats, then i did before eating 'Healthy' for 10 years, but i now eat far LESS carbs

all my bloods ratios went back to normal on the diet that would, should,.. so they say KILL me stone dead..
go figure :woot::D

i use the codefree..cheap to buy and strips are cheap too.

proviso: a few have reported it's inaccurate..(they all are)
but for me it's the TREND i watch, so if it's out by 0.5 on day one, it's out everyday by 0.5
so the trend still shows.

as a topic that comes up often..
WHEN to test.in morning.?
in bed, out of bed, yadda, yadda

keep it the SAME each time and the trend stays constant.

personally i wake up,
put on kettle
bathroom to pee,
make tea,
then test..
whether that is an early start or a lie in
the secret is to be constant
THAT is the TREND you want to follow.

over time you'll see the numbers at all times going down,
IF you are doing it right.
IF not you just need to look at what the meter says and adjust the foods OR portions.

many fast for a day or two.
i can't do that.

many also go OMAD..one meal a day
i can do that, but most days i am ..2mad..2 meals a day
and no snacks, but that can be hard early days

so Biltong . pepparami, cheese, all these IF in fridge give you a good chance to avoid the easy carbs to eat..a slice of bread, some toast, etc

your looking good so far, informed and you sound determined.to do well.

i think you got this.

(as for weights at that level :woot:..look up @johnpol ..this guys lifts seriously BIG weights..you might find HIS posts of much interest... he is .T1, not T2 though, do bear that in mind if following advice, top bloke. )..

Thanks for the info and input, makes sense and helps me to re enforce what I have read against what I have been told, fortunately the second Doctor I saw, after my first two visits at 42, said forget everything the old Doc said hes 67 and is old, do this LCHF IF and you will hopefully reverse it as its only been an issue for less than 3months.

So here's to hoping and carrying on!!

Curious why did you stop? My bp was around 160/110 and i was put on meds but I still continued weight lifting and the Dicx had no problem with this.

I find my bp is lowest after a weight training session. by a considerable amount.
Why would you wait to 85kg? I’m about 100kg and still weight lift.

In basic terms my program that I was following, Compound lifts, Deadlift 250-300KG Bench 120-160, Squat 150-200KG

When my blood pressure raised, I was advised that it was a bad idea to carry on with what I was doing as the pressure I exerted would cause damage ect. I want to get down to my target wait then start basically from the ground up, and hopefully be able to compete again at a lower weight category.

Reactions: NitinHP and jjraak

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One option is to use much lower weights and lift them as slowly as you can, this is good for emptying the muscles of glycogen and hence reduce inslin resistance.

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One option is to use much lower weights and lift them as slowly as you can, this is good for emptying the muscles of glycogen and hence reduce inslin resistance.

Yeah Low weight high rep Body Building, this is an option for me but not something that I would enjoy, after 10 years of lifting cars and boulders, and running with motorbikes on my shoulders, I am not ready to rub baby oil on myself and walk around in a thong just yet lol. BP has been down to 120-130 / 85-95 the last few days, so I think the strain is coming down, with a fair chunk of weight still to lose I hope to lift those cars again one day!!!

@JoKalsbeek Question with regards to Fasting Bloods if I can, so my FB have come down to 85-95/ 4.6-5.3 which I am happy about obviously =D

I've noticed though once I get up and do my thing by the time it gets to 11 they have risen to 5.6-6.3 some days, and this is still fasting, they drop most of the time before lunch, is this rise just due to my body releasing/burning my stores as I am up about doing work on an empty stomach.

Cheers

P.

aard

Thanks for the info and input, makes sense and helps me to re enforce what I have read against what I have been told, fortunately the second Doctor I saw, after my first two visits at 42, said forget everything the old Doc said hes 67 and is old, do this LCHF IF and you will hopefully reverse it as its only been an issue for less than 3months.

So here's to hoping and carrying on!!

In basic terms my program that I was following, Compound lifts, Deadlift 250-300KG Bench 120-160, Squat 150-200KG

When my blood pressure raised, I was advised that it was a bad idea to carry on with what I was doing as the pressure I exerted would cause damage ect. I want to get down to my target wait then start basically from the ground up, and hopefully be able to compete again at a lower weight category.

ah ok I understand, you lift far more than me