fasting question

aard

Watching some of dr fungs vids on fasting.

He says that you can eat what you like on the non fast days.

I’m confused whether this means you don’t count the calories but still do low carb or whether you can as much carbs as you like?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I’m confused whether this means you don’t count the calories but still do low carb or whether you can as much carbs as you like?

It’s not clear from your profile what type of diabetes you have, or whether you’re on any medication, but if you’re fasting to assist with insulin sensitivity/help manage blood sugars I wouldn’t advise eating as many carbs as you like. I don’t think Jason Fung advocates that anywhere.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s not clear from your profile what type of diabetes you have, or whether you’re on any medication, but if you’re fasting to assist with insulin sensitivity/help manage blood sugars I wouldn’t advise eating as many carbs as you like. I don’t think Jason Fung advocates that anywhere.
Adding to that, fasting & low-carb are two, complementary things that are very powerful in combination. Jason Fung's suggestions are not specific to diabetes but general health.
A lot of people on this site combine the two, but no, for someone with poor response to carbs, you can't eat as many as you like without negative consequences.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It depends on your metabolic state.

If you are a normo-glycemic and usually eat carbs then I guess that you could continue (although whether eating as many carbs is healthy is another matter entirely).
For someone with T2 (and some with T1 wishing to reduce their insulin use) then avoiding carbs is usually best. In my view this applies to the general population too although some disagree.