Re-using lancets?

Kjell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Inactivity
It seems a waste to only use a lancet (accu-check) once if I'm the only one using it . How many times do other people use them, please?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Lots! Never counted but it is a long time since I changed my lancet.

Reactions: annie-p

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I try to change them 4 times a year or so...
Leaflet and nurse say use once though.

D

Deleted member 308541

It seems a waste to only use a lancet (accu-check) once if I'm the only one using it . How many times do other people use them, please?
I have a Accu-Chek Fastclix. I change the lancet every time I start a new tub of 50 strips, so a six lancet magazine lasts me 3 x 100 boxes of strips.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Once they begin to hurt. Like a worn out needle on an LP

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use to be really bad at changing them, I still have a box of unused lancets from 2006. Yikes!
But I’ve been getting better at changing them because it gets quite painful with a very used lancet

Reactions: jjraak
D

Deleted member 308541

But I’ve been getting better at changing them because it gets quite painful with a very used lancet
It's not hard to change a six lancet magazine on a Accu-Chek lancing device.

Pull the cap off, remove old magazine, replace with a new magazine, put cap back on...

Reactions: mike@work

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a Accu chek multiclix and got 3 boxes on prescription when I was diagnosed over 10 years ago - still have one unopened box and just under half of another :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I just use a bare lancet, no delivery device at all, and I generally change them when they get blunt and I find it difficult to get enough blood out when I stab my finger. Sometimes I just change them because I feel like I haven't changed one for a while. I'm guessing I probably get between 10 and 50 stabs per needle....

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
About every 3 months/when it gets so worn it no longer draws blood

It's been so long since I got some on prescription that my gp has removed them from my repeat

D

Deleted member 308541

I've never bothered to put them on prescription, I just get a new box of lancets every couple of years.....:)
The same here, they are not subsidised by the NDSS so pay the full price for them around $20.00.

Laconic

I suppose check with a well used Lancet then try again with a new one, if not much difference then carry on re using Lancets