Just been diagnosed

I had blood tests on Christmas Eve and got my results on New Year's Eve. Blood sugar figure was 91 and I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Trying to read up on the subject but not easy as I have loads of work on. Was given a testing machine, that started off at 20.1, again rather high.

Reactions: Lotties

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum.

First of all, don't panic. Diet is key for T2. 20 is very high, but it depends upon what you ate and how long before you tested.

Look to cutting the carbs (as well as "sugars") from your diet. Investigate the Low Carb High Fat or Keto diets, there are sub forums here. You can turn this around. I went from 122 to 35 (normal) within 4 months.

You will get all the support you need from this forum. It definitely saved my life!

Reactions: trick60 and Lotties

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

yes, it is a lot to take on board. Don’t worry. Take it step by step. :) It will all become clear.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had blood tests on Christmas Eve and got my results on New Year's Eve. Blood sugar figure was 91 and I've been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Trying to read up on the subject but not easy as I have loads of work on. Was given a testing machine, that started off at 20.1, again rather high.
Welcome. This is a good place to land!

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I’ve just been diagnosed too - very surprised as I had no symptoms and went to the dr just before Christmas with stomach problems and ended up with sugar in a urine test then in hospital (it was a Friday) that evening for bloods. I’ve been to the gp today and it’s been confirmed, it’s a lot to get my head around so we are probably at the same stage. I’m glad I found this forum

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@JMoli and @brightonboyjan23 , welcome to this place, both of you.

It IS indeed a lot to take in. There's loads of information out there and a lot to sift through. The link Goonergal shared for the newly diagnosed members is an excellent one. I kind of wrote a "thingy" myself with everything I wish someone'd told me when I was first diagnosed.: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html It's about as simple as I could make it, and relatively short, so hopefully useful.

Most important thing though: T2 isn't the end of the world. And you can actually get control of this thing. Just takes a little time to learn how.

Good luck to both of you!
Jo

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jo, I’ll read that - I’ve been learning so much in such a short time. I don’t know if I’m type 2 yet, the dr doesn’t know but suspects it. I’m very anxious as I also have a scan of my pancreas soon (I’ve had stomach issues for months, possibly ibs, and am underweight but split from long term partner at christmas and went on the heartbreak diet) I was given the Accu-check nano thing today and to start on 1/2 a tablet of 40g gliclazide.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It is great that you've found this forum. I'm a relative newbie and always have been impressed with the wonderful people on this site. You can find so much here- information, advice and support.

You've already been given some links- they are great. You may also want to read some of the success stories- I have found they really offer hope that if you take the right steps and test your blood sugar levels and listen when the results tell you that a particular food or meal didn't suit your body that you can really control your blood sugar levels.

Welcome and feel free to ask questions- people are very generous with their time on this site.

Welcome

Reactions: Mandy2019

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jo, I’ll read that - I’ve been learning so much in such a short time. I don’t know if I’m type 2 yet, the dr doesn’t know but suspects it. I’m very anxious as I also have a scan of my pancreas soon (I’ve had stomach issues for months, possibly ibs, and am underweight but split from long term partner at christmas and went on the heartbreak diet) I was given the Accu-check nano thing today and to start on 1/2 a tablet of 40g gliclazide.
I'm so sorry to hear of your additional troubles. As if diabetes isn't enough to deal with, eh. I'm guessing your doc's requested C-peptide and GAD tests then, to determine type? In any case, I do hope you'll get some proper answers soon. As things stand though, with your being underweight and unsure of type, if you at any time feel unwell and test your blood sugars high, (nausea, confusion, that sort of thing), do call for help and tell them type is unsure. Okay? T2's don't get ketoacidosis, other types do, and it's not something you want to do a "wait and see" thing with. Not to scare you, but... Just keep an eye on your bloodsugars and general health eh.

Fingers crossed everything'll be sorted out in no time at all.
Jo

Reactions: jjraak and JMoli

Mandy2019

Adults should be under 40 i think. My first one was 84. Get Carbs and Calorie Counter by Chris Cheyette. Book or app. Lower your bread potatoes rice pasta sugar and total calorie intake. Its tough, but hang in there.

Reactions: jjraak

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Adults should be under 40 i think. My first one was 84. Get Carbs and Calorie Counter by Chris Cheyette. Book or app. Lower your bread potatoes rice pasta sugar and total calorie intake. Its tough, but hang in there.

Hi Mandy, I get the carbs but what benefit does 'lowering the total calorie' intake have?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally, I don't count calories only carbs.

Reading on machine has gone down from 20 to 6 and that's with me still eating all the foods my nurse tells me not to. I was drinking too much milk, cut that down so that's that. Still eating what I want.