Lack of sleep & choosing bad foods

nessie216

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I’m fairly new to the diabetes scene - I was diagnosed in June 2018 but found out I was pregnant in July 2018 so was put on Insulin and very closely monitored until I had my baby in March 2019

Since having DD I have not looked after myself with regards to food

I have recently gone back to work and I’m struggling with choosing the right foods to eat and getting enough exercise and more importantly getting enough sleep

Anyone give me any pointers of how to change my routine to get healthier?

Alarm at 6.30
Shower at 6.45
Feed baby (breast fed) 7.00
Pack bag for work & leave by 7.30
Lunch at around 13.00 (usually leftover from night before)
Leave work at 17.30
Home by 18.00/18.30 depending on traffic
Looking after children until 17.00 bedtime
Feed baby 19.00
Cook dinner
Attempt to eat dinner 20.00
Baby wakes up!
End up eating dinner 22.00
Clear up etc
Watch a bit of telly in my pjs
Attempt bedtime 23.00
Feed baby 23.30
Attempt sleep 0.00
Feed baby 2.00
Attempt sleep 2.30
Feed baby 5.00
Attempt sleep 5.30

I’m exhausted :-(

I try to cook proper meals like spag bol, chilli, curry, quick roasts, saus and veg etc
Mid afternoon I tend to grab sugary snacks even though I’ve had a fairly good lunch

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I try to cook proper meals like spag bol, chilli, curry, quick roasts, saus and veg etc
Mid afternoon I tend to grab sugary snacks even though I’ve had a fairly good lunch

I'm not surprised you're knackered! What a schedule! Also, I hate to say it, but spag bol, chilli, cury etc are jam-packed with carbs. You want to steer clear from starchy foods. (It's not just sugars that up your blood glucose, it's starches too, so most beans, potatoes, bread, pasta, rice, corn, cereal etc. Not to mention fruit and such). Since you're breastfeeding, you can't go ultra-low carb, as you're "sharing" nutrition with your baby, but if you cut down to 50 grams of carbs a day you should both be okay. So eggs, cauliflower rice, meat, poultry, fish, full fat greek yoghurt, most nuts (walnuts and pecans for instance), olives, cheese, above-ground, non starchy veggies, that sort of thing. Have a read here: https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html hopefully it'll help. But again, as long as you're breastfeeding, don't cut out too much. And maybe use a pump to keep some breastmilk in the fridge, so your partner can take over a few feedings at night: the way you're sleeping (or not sleeping, more accurately) is hitting your blood sugars as well.

Reactions: nessie216

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi.

Just browsing and spotted your post.

Thus was posted in other thread, I tried it last night.. Quickly started yawning minutes after trying.... Nothing to lose by looking, and maybe giving it a go..

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

Just browsing and spotted your post.

Thus was posted in other thread, I tried it last night.. Quickly started yawning minutes after trying.... Nothing to lose by looking, and maybe giving it a go..

Trying this tonight since someone borrowe'd and broke my binaural beat machine that was brilliant.
Edit-spelling

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hope it helps you too.

Just off to google biaural beat machine..:)
Me too :D. They nicked all my tapes as well.
You can get apps on android, including brown noise and also on YouTube but my phone stops after w hours and I wake up.
DrummIng seems WAY easier.

Reactions: jjraak

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BTW it had led glasses and they are also called light and sound machines.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m fairly new to the diabetes scene - I was diagnosed in June 2018 but found out I was pregnant in July 2018 so was put on Insulin and very closely monitored until I had my baby in March 2019

Since having DD I have not looked after myself with regards to food

I have recently gone back to work and I’m struggling with choosing the right foods to eat and getting enough exercise and more importantly getting enough sleep

Anyone give me any pointers of how to change my routine to get healthier?

Alarm at 6.30
Shower at 6.45
Feed baby (breast fed) 7.00
Pack bag for work & leave by 7.30
Lunch at around 13.00 (usually leftover from night before)
Leave work at 17.30
Home by 18.00/18.30 depending on traffic
Looking after children until 17.00 bedtime
Feed baby 19.00
Cook dinner
Attempt to eat dinner 20.00
Baby wakes up!
End up eating dinner 22.00
Clear up etc
Watch a bit of telly in my pjs
Attempt bedtime 23.00
Feed baby 23.30
Attempt sleep 0.00
Feed baby 2.00
Attempt sleep 2.30
Feed baby 5.00
Attempt sleep 5.30

I’m exhausted :-(

You have a lot going on at the moment, and mustn’t underestimate the demands of looking after (and having had a baby) does have on your body, mind and energy. I think trying to carve out possible rest/sleep time where ever you can might help, and knowing that this is a phase, that’ll shift and change as your baby goes in to the next phase. I know that when I wasn’t getting enough sleep with my children, I was really tired, drained in energy and hungry! I craved sugar to try and boost me. It’s a cycle, crash and burn. Sleep deprivation effects how we function, can respond to things, heal, metabolism etc. I’ve been there, it’s so tough, so keep going and know it’ll change soon. Once you start to get longer stretches of sleep between the feeds/waking it’ll make a big difference. Lots veggies and protein might help give some needed energy until then, plus drinking lots water! Focus on one thing and go step by step so don’t feel overwhelmed. Like rather then sugary snack in afternoon, nuts and yoghurt or something filling like that. Even doing that each day will help make a change.