Question On Diagnosis

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I am 10 weeks in since I was 'told' I was diabetic, obviously spent a lot of that time reading up.

When I went back for my Bloods in August they were done and then I had the call to say it's bad news. Considering the substantial jump from 42 - 54, and no other symptoms should I have had a second blood test done to make sure it wasn't an error?

Within a few weeks of switching diets, everything came down and is now well within the normal range my average of 5.6 with most of those readings being before, 1/2/3 hours after eating and Fasting.

Fating bloods this week 4.4-4.8

The only change between the 42 and the 54 was the added carbs fruit and veg and whole wheat I had been told to add, I always supplement my Vitamins away from fruit due to the sugar content!

Now I am 100% sure I am Carb sensitive as sugar has always made me whizz around like a nutter haha, but I've hardly ever eaten sugary foods, or massive amounts of carbs, always been more meat and veg and meat and meat with some meat.

Had I not taken the 'good' advice and just switched back to my normal diet I feel I would have dropped not shot up to 54, is it worth at this point asking if its a firm diagnosis? The only time my bloods have been abnormal have been after gaining 20kg for weight lifting.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Love your stats. Looking forward to your next hba1c result.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your increased Hba1c was a classic response to eating more carbs than you could cope with - for a type two diabetic. I don't think that the diagnosis can be set aside, if that was the idea.

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your increased Hba1c was a classic response to eating more carbs than you could cope with - for a type two diabetic. I don't think that the diagnosis can be set aside, if that was the idea.

It's not a question to set it aside as I was half aware, now fully aware me and carbs/sugar are not compatible.

Just the usual route is two blood tests to confirm the high reading.

Just thinking on the basis rite now if it is a firm diagnosis life insurance and health cover is a goner!! But if it's a marker and one abnormal test it may not be considered a full diagnosis but an area to monitor.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
If your 1st result had been 54 your Dr would have almost certainly confirmed diagnosis with another hba1c or a oral glucose tolerance test. As you have had 3 tests in under 5 month's and have gone from pre diabetic to diabetic in that time I doubt the Dr would need anymore tests and would be quite confident in his/her diagnosis.

MrPeaky

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your 1st result had been 54 your Dr would have almost certainly confirmed diagnosis with another hba1c or a oral glucose tolerance test. As you have had 3 tests in under 5 month's and have gone from pre diabetic to diabetic in that time I doubt the Dr would need anymore tests and would be quite confident in his/her diagnosis.

What I figured, will ask the question next wee, it's life, a few more weeks and I would have renewed life/crit cover and wouldnt be an issue for 30 years. Just sucks now I cant cover myself and family like I want to. Grrrrrrrr. Worthless feeling today for sure!!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Two tests to confirm a high reading has never been my experience - I was diagnosed and given tablets on a single reading.
That timing is really bad luck - makes me feel that the NHS, despite all its failings and problems at least shows that there is a benign force behind it.