1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Question On Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by MrPeaky, Jan 14, 2020.

1. MrPeaky

MrPeaky Type 2 (in remission!) · Active Member

So I am 10 weeks in since I was 'told' I was diabetic, obviously spent a lot of that time reading up.

When I went back for my Bloods in August they were done and then I had the call to say it's bad news. Considering the substantial jump from 42 - 54, and no other symptoms should I have had a second blood test done to make sure it wasn't an error?

Within a few weeks of switching diets, everything came down and is now well within the normal range my average of 5.6 with most of those readings being before, 1/2/3 hours after eating and Fasting.

Fating bloods this week 4.4-4.8

The only change between the 42 and the 54 was the added carbs fruit and veg and whole wheat I had been told to add, I always supplement my Vitamins away from fruit due to the sugar content!

Now I am 100% sure I am Carb sensitive as sugar has always made me whizz around like a nutter haha, but I've hardly ever eaten sugary foods, or massive amounts of carbs, always been more meat and veg and meat and meat with some meat.

Had I not taken the 'good' advice and just switched back to my normal diet I feel I would have dropped not shot up to 54, is it worth at this point asking if its a firm diagnosis? The only time my bloods have been abnormal have been after gaining 20kg for weight lifting.

• Like Like x 2
  2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Love your stats. Looking forward to your next hba1c result.

3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Your increased Hba1c was a classic response to eating more carbs than you could cope with - for a type two diabetic. I don't think that the diagnosis can be set aside, if that was the idea.

4. MrPeaky

It's not a question to set it aside as I was half aware, now fully aware me and carbs/sugar are not compatible.

Just the usual route is two blood tests to confirm the high reading.

Just thinking on the basis rite now if it is a firm diagnosis life insurance and health cover is a goner!! But if it's a marker and one abnormal test it may not be considered a full diagnosis but an area to monitor.

5. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If your 1st result had been 54 your Dr would have almost certainly confirmed diagnosis with another hba1c or a oral glucose tolerance test. As you have had 3 tests in under 5 month's and have gone from pre diabetic to diabetic in that time I doubt the Dr would need anymore tests and would be quite confident in his/her diagnosis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MrPeaky

What I figured, will ask the question next wee, it's life, a few more weeks and I would have renewed life/crit cover and wouldnt be an issue for 30 years. Just sucks now I cant cover myself and family like I want to. Grrrrrrrr. Worthless feeling today for sure!!!

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Two tests to confirm a high reading has never been my experience - I was diagnosed and given tablets on a single reading.
    That timing is really bad luck - makes me feel that the NHS, despite all its failings and problems at least shows that there is a benign force behind it.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook