Waiting for blood test results

Rowsie

Hi, I have a lot of the symptoms for diabetes, and after a doctors appointment on Monday finally had my blood test on Friday. I am really anxiously waiting the results. In the meantime I bought a home testing blood kit last week. My levels have been 12.8 twice, but 18 and 15 first thing. I am avoiding sweet stuff, but feeling hungry and so tired. Is there anything I could be doing to help myself in the short term whilst waiting for my results? Should probably add I am lactose intolerant and have no kitchen hob at the moment.
Thank you

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Rowsie , and welcome to the forum.
You must be having a rough time right now, waiting for your results and already seeing something's off from your test kit.

For the hunger you could indulge in deli meats and cheeses (no lactose in mature hard cheeses), eggs and lots of other things that won't affect your blood glucose levels a lot.

Here's a link to get you started on the basics of diabetes, assuming your meter is right and your blood test will confirm.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Take it easy and have a hug, and please come back with any question you have!

Last edited:

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Well done for already getting a meter- that will become your best friend. Only by testing all you k now what food your body can tolerate.

You have found the best place in the world for diabetics to get advice and support. Read the information in the link provided and come back and ask questions.

Welcome and good luck.

Reactions: Rowsie

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Just to add if numbers keep getting Hightower or you feel unwell (flu-like, vomiting) go to A&E.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have a lot of the symptoms for diabetes, and after a doctors appointment on Monday finally had my blood test on Friday. I am really anxiously waiting the results. In the meantime I bought a home testing blood kit last week. My levels have been 12.8 twice, but 18 and 15 first thing. I am avoiding sweet stuff, but feeling hungry and so tired. Is there anything I could be doing to help myself in the short term whilst waiting for my results? Should probably add I am lactose intolerant and have no kitchen hob at the moment.
Thank you
Hi Rowsie, and welcome,

If you're cutting out the sweet stuff, you're already cutting out a part of carbohydrates (Starches are the other part you'll need to ditch, alas, if diagnosed. Well, you'd get your bloodsugars down faster if you did, but it's up to you of course.)... That's a good thing, but your body is used to getting them, and that's why you're hungry: It's demanding more. So you want to replace those carbs with something else, like protein or even better, fats. Because fats don't impact your blood sugars at all and they fill you up! https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html this may help a little ith your meal ideas and whatnot. I don't tolerate cow dairy well at all, do okay on goat's though, so I can see where it would put up a few hurdles. But even without dairy in the mix, there's still plenty left to eat that won't adversely affect you. Not having a kitchen hob can be problematic, but a salad with tuna, olives, mayo and capers only requires a can opener. Maybe get a little plug-in egg boiler? Cold cuts are fine, and you could make keto mug bread in a microwave, if you have one available to you. It all requires a work-around, but it should be doable somehow.

Throw questions out there if you have them, and good luck with the test!
Jo

Reactions: jjraak and Rowsie

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Rowsie, all I would say is try not to change your 'normal' diet too much at this stage as it could make it much harder for them to diagnose if you do have diabetes and what type. If, for example, you go straight into low carb then this could mask a true diagnosis. Keep on testing though because those results will be crucial information for them, and as others have said keep an eye on how you are feeling and don't be afraid to get straight back to the Drs if you feel really unwell. x

Rowsie

Thanks everyone, they didn’t get enough blood so I’ve got to go back. I can see some results online though which are confusing me. It says glucose level 14.5mmol/L, high as expected no further action, patient advised. Not asking anyone to second guess my doctors but so far my readings have been 12,5, 12.5, 15, 18 this morning and 13.5. when I got home from work. Is that high?
I’m back to hospital tomorrow to have more bloods taken, then I’ll see what the doctors say.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It says glucose level 14.5mmol/L, high as expected no further action, patient advised.
Definitely ask them why it says 'as expected' and what they mean by 'patient advised'. And why it says 'no further action' if it is high.
Not asking anyone to second guess my doctors but so far my readings have been 12,5, 12.5, 15, 18 this morning and 13.5. when I got home from work. Is that high?
Those numbers are all in the diabetic range.

If the blood test after your blood draw tomorrow confirms, you should be offered an appointment with a diabetes nurse and an appointment for a diabetes eye screening at the least.

Let us know what happens tomorrow!

Rowsie

My HBA1C test I think says 110 mmol/mol, with an annotation-no further action. Sounds like good news?

You guys are fab by the way, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Reactions: MargaretR

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My HBA1C test I think says 110 mmol/mol, with an annotation-no further action. Sounds like hood news?
A hba1c of 110 should never be no further action. Don't let them send you away!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
they didn’t get enough blood so I’ve got to go back.
My HBA1C test I think says 110 mmol/mol
If you had a result for a hba1c it looks like they've got enough blood the first time. Aren't you sent back for more bloods for additional testing because of the results, and not because they didn't get enough blood?

Reactions: jjraak

Rowsie

They did about 5 tests, I think that was the only one they had enough blood for. Apparently I’m a slow bleeder! I’ll call the doctors about the results they have. Thank you

Reactions: Antje77

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My HBA1C test I think says 110 mmol/mol, with an annotation-no further action. Sounds like good news?

You guys are fab by the way, I’ll let you know how it goes.
...You're not supposed to be over 42, sorry. (42 is prediabetic, anything over 48 is the diabetic range.). I have no idea why they have "no further action" listed. Could it be, as it sometimes happens, that the practice thinks it has informed you about being diabetic, when they haven't? Wouldn't be the first time. In any case, don't let it go.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my first hba1ac was 12.5% or 110 (i think) almost two years ago and the diabetic nurse insisted i started on metformin straight away as quote"with levels that high i cant let you leave without metformin" by the follow up blood test i was down to 37 with a low carb diet and losing 20 kilos by june 2018 and off metformin..

Rowsie

So update, took a reading this morning and it’s 18.1. Got a call from the doctor’As you are recently diagnosed we need to book you in with the dispensing nurse’. ‘Diagnosed with what ?’ I asked. The lady on the phone had no idea, so had to call back. According to my notes I have diabetes, booked in for next Tuesday. Blood tests taken okay as well for everything else they are testing for.
So now trying to wrap my head around it all. Got a constant headache, which isn’t helping. Thanks for your help everyone, I’m sure you’ll be getting more questions in the near future.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So update, took a reading this morning and it’s 18.1. Got a call from the doctor’As you are recently diagnosed we need to book you in with the dispensing nurse’. ‘Diagnosed with what ?’ I asked. The lady on the phone had no idea, so had to call back. According to my notes I have diabetes, booked in for next Tuesday. Blood tests taken okay as well for everything else they are testing for.
So now trying to wrap my head around it all. Got a constant headache, which isn’t helping. Thanks for your help everyone, I’m sure you’ll be getting more questions in the near future.
Well, something is happening now, at least... But you're quite in your right bringing this up with them. Being stuck in limbo without proper answers... No wonder you've got a headache. (Also, if you've started cutting carbs, you can experience headaches for a few days too. That'll pass though. Just in case, thought I'd mention it... But the stress alone'd throw you for a loop.) Anyway... Any questions, throw them out there, you know we're happy to help if we can.

I'm sorry they messed it up so badly. But you can and will get this thing licked.
Hugs,
Jo
PS: With a reading that high in the morning, I wonder whether it was taken after you ate, and if so, what breakfast consisted of. I'd only get a reading like that with bread or cereal.

Rowsie

Thanks Jo. That reading was first thing in the morning, that’s my second 18 reading first thing. Pre any food or drink.