Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
So this was weird yesterday.

Things started normally. I had my volunteering yesterday doing a lot of cleaning out kennels and play area. It was nearly the end of the day. At the same time. I had a headache and my colleague kept asking if I was alright (weirdly the dog at the time kept barking a lot and trying to escape it’s gated area). I didn’t want to worry the staff member as I’m not sure if there all aware I have diabeties. I did tell the owner but I don’t know if she passed it on. I cycled and that’s when I knew things were worse as I couldn’t concentrate as well and I kept getting moody stopped by a nearby shop and irattable and kicking things too the point security came out. I’m suprised they didn’t ask anything. So and had stupidly left my hypo stuff in my other bag. I tried to get something and got all confused and slightly got blurry on the self service scanner. When I went to sat down. I tried to eat but litreally through up anything. Turned out my blood was low (I asked my mum) she messaged one of my support workers as she was on holiday. Thing is even though I tried to keep a sugary drink down I couldn’t as I kept throwing up so my support worker ended up calling an ambulance because of this and they wanted me to get checked. I did get checked and they waited till my levels went back into range. Somehow I was able to keep things down later and my support worker dropped me home and someone else dropped my bike off. A few mins after I got home I ended up throwing up what I kept down and then after resting, eating a bit of toast I didn’t throw up after that and went to sleep the next day today I’m totally fine.
So I don’t know if this was my diabeties or a one off bug or both?
Also I’m suprised If the staff member kept asking if I was ok why he didn’t say anything as I especially kept getting my words mixed up.. He was trying to calm the dog down. The dog was quiet all morning and then when I started feeling weird it started to keep jumping up at the gate and barking. Perhaps it was trying to say something.? I’m guessing the staff member didn’t know that day.

I’m sort of a bit embarrassed

Anyone else have any ideas?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Lulu9101112

Dogs have an amazing sense of smell so could well of been trying to alert you as our body emits a different scent when low, mine has jumped on my lap before when going low.

Are you ok to check your levels if this were to happen again ? As you appear to of gone a while without checking before it really hit you hard so making sure if you’re doing manual work to take regular breaks to check your levels.

I would suggest this was down to your hypo event, just please make sure tour testing and treating as soon as you feel it.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Lulu9101112

Dogs have an amazing sense of smell so could well of been trying to alert you as our body emits a different scent when low, mine has jumped on my lap before when going low.

Are you ok to check your levels if this were to happen again ? As you appear to of gone a while without checking before it really hit you hard so making sure if you’re doing manual work to take regular breaks to check your levels.

I would suggest this was down to your hypo event, just please make sure tour testing and treating as soon as you feel it.

yeah not just dogs other animals too.

I don’t think it’s too do with the work because I do similar work during volunteering at a animal park and rarely get hypos there and don’t finish till 3 and have lunch at 12.30. Although at the dog volunteering I do eat lunch 1 hr later as I don’t get home till 1.15 (I finish at 1pm) so unless it’s time difference.

Thanks the diabetic clinic did recently tell me to increase my Lantus. I don’t know if I should bring it back down to previous because perhaps this could of partly been the cause as it had been 3 days since I increased it. The only thing I don’t get is how come I kept throwing up what I tried to eat drink? Can that happen if sugar gets too low and if so why? .

ps Yeah, I just get afraid to as I said I don’t think the staff at are aware at the dog place except the owner although I thought she said she’d let the team know. I don’t think she passed it on. The staff member changes most Sundays. So perhaps it’s a different staff member I should make them aware every time.

I occasionally get a awkard fear off getting bullied for it (even though I did get bullied for jt back at school a few years ago but that was different)I know it’s sounds stupid but the other day I was in town before Sunday. I kept overhearing teenagers saying mean things when i was dealing with my diabeties. I sort of also don’t want the same thing to happen at my volunteering. Anyway my other activities, my work and animal park volunteering know about my diabeties. With the animal park my head of department always ask if I’m alright if every few hours. (A lot of their staff are very aware of diabetes as a lot of there staff and siblings have a mixture of type 1 or 2 diabeties and other conditions)

ps I find it awkard to recognise especially In afternoon if I feel tired because I have sometimes mistaken hypos for being tired from the work and i don’t seem to get any symptoms till at least 3.3 Any tips on this?

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Juicyj must of been my lantus is too high because well yesterday my blood was 8.8 and today I woke up with it being 3.5 so it dropped a lot overnight.

I should probably change my lantus back down.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Lulu9101112 I remember a while back another member said they’d thrown up on their bed sheets whilst hypo and it had happened a couple of times to them which is why I’d link it to how you’d reacted, Obviously speak to your DSN if this is a worry to you.

In regards to changing your lantus dose - I’d only recommend doing it after seeing a pattern and not as a knee jerk reaction, as you went low yesterday then leave it for now as you body is not settled into a pattern yet, it’s not wise to change doses after a hypo event, also try doing basal testing first, getting your background dose set at the right level is the foundation for your control so it’s important to get it right.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I should of also added, after a hypo event the liver will often take extra glucose later on to restock which is where we can get our second hypo event, I tend to find that I have to take extra care after one hypo that it's not followed by another later on, hence the advise to not change doses.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I should of also added, after a hypo event the liver will often take extra glucose later on to restock which is where we can get our second hypo event, I tend to find that I have to take extra care after one hypo that it's not followed by another later on, hence the advise to not change doses.
Yeah thanks and that makes sense and I’m aware. I’ve got work later at 4pm and got to cycle to it. I don’t want anything to happen during the journey or during work later.

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I experienced very low blood sugar,when I was in hospital once - it went down to 1.1 and as fast as they were pumping lucozade into me, I was vomiting it back up. They put me on a glucose drip after that and I was fine. So I should imagine that your blood sugar went very low. And yes, animals - especially dogs, can sniff out diabetic changes often more quickly than we start to feel hypo. Hope you are sorted out now.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I experienced very low blood sugar,when I was in hospital once - it went down to 1.1 and as fast as they were pumping lucozade into me, I was vomiting it back up. They put me on a glucose drip after that and I was fine. So I should imagine that your blood sugar went very low. And yes, animals - especially dogs, can sniff out diabetic changes often more quickly than we start to feel hypo. Hope you are sorted out now.
Ok and thanks. I was fine th next day luckily

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Juicyj
:banghead::banghead:;)I feel kind of embarrassed even though it’s 3 days later and nothing since has happened but t just feel like guilty I could of preventing this especially as during volunteering my colleague kept asking if I was ok which should of been a sign to him. I never said anything although I might of shaked my head slightly and just told me to go home. I guess I was afraid of getting bullied of it as (recently I’ve heard a lot of teenagers say rude comments in town due to it. I know I got it at school but that was different) I don’t think he was aware. I should of also stupidly tested before I left. That day after I tried eating and asking my mum mum and nearly feel asleep nd was just confused, moody and just tired and missed my mums calls hence why my mum texted my support worker as she was about to get on a plane. Suprisingly no bystander asked if I was ok. Even though I kept being moody and kicking things) Till I started throwing up which was around the time my support worker arrived etc....

Things is I’m suprised no one noticed especially as I wear a medical Id alert bracelet and also stupid I didn’t test before I left because if I tested before I left I perhaps might of not throw up but then I guess I also didn’t want to throw up around the dogs that day

stupid mee :banghead: I also hope it doesn’t repeat on Sunday bexuse I’ve got the same volunteering with same staff member

Even today at my animal park volunteering I was afraid off going low so took even more off but that resulted it my blood being being high :banghead:

I need to stop letting things get to me and being afraid

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I know it's probably easy for me to say as I'm a fair bit older than you and have developed a thick skin, but please do not worry about what other people think, generally people are only interested in their own thoughts and things like this can blow away so quickly that it's easily forgotten, it's good to review situations like this but not over analyse them as otherwise you will wind yourself up and on top of your already overflowing mental cup, it's not great for your mental well being to keep going back over this. When you get these thoughts try and focus on something in the present and bring yourself back to now, I find that if I over think the past or worry about future that I forget to live in the here and now and enjoy the present, if you can remind yourself to do this then it will help ease your burden.

Remind yourself what an amazing job you are doing looking after yourself, you have so much more than anyone else around you to think about, so cut yourself some slack and enjoy the here and now.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I know it's probably easy for me to say as I'm a fair bit older than you and have developed a thick skin, but please do not worry about what other people think, generally people are only interested in their own thoughts and things like is can blow away so quickly that it's easily forgotten, it's good to review situations like this but not over analyse them as otherwise you will wind yourself up and on top of your already overflowing mental cup, it's not great for your mental well being to keep going back over this. When you get these thoughts try and focus on something in the present and bring yourself back to now, I find that if I over think the past or worry about future that I forget to live in the here and now and enjoy the present, if you can remind yourself to do this then it will help ease your burden.

Remind yourself what an amazing job you are doing looking after yourself, you have so much more than anyone else around you to think about, so cut yourself some slack and enjoy the here and now.

thanks hopefully it won’t happen again. Because if it does that would be weird. I keep having this weird dream that it will especially as it’s the same place and staff member tommorow. But hopefully it won’t be real.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You will be fine, but if it’s worrying you in any way at all just have a chat to one of the staff and explain how your feeling, I am pretty sure they will look after you, hope you have a good day and let us know how you get on x

Reactions: Lulu9101112

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You will be fine, but if it’s worrying you in any way at all just have a chat to one of the staff and explain how your feeling, I am pretty sure they will look after you, hope you have a good day and let us know how you get on x
Nothing Happend luckily. I did have low just before I left but didn’t throw up begging to think perhaps that day was just one off of I ate something bad/off and the low sugar didn’t help at the time.
Weird thing is I don’t know why I keep getting low just Around the time I finish because I did less at breakfast compared to last Sunday and yet on my other volunteering which is slhgjtly more manual my levels are always fine and I take exactly the same amount off in the morning with breakfast.