Insulin Resistance clinic at Addenbrookes

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone else has been to the insulin resistance clinic at Addenbrookes? My local hospital have referred me there as we know I am producing twice the amount of insulin I need. Despite losing 3 stone, eating low carb and exercising regularly the blood sugars won’t shift. Hovering anywhere between 17 and 22 at the mo.

mouseee

No but live fairly close and have taken the daughter for things over the years.... take money for the carpark and give yourself plenty of time to park as it's a nightmare! Concourse is nice with an M&S, Costa and Starbucks for lunch although only one of those will do low carb!

Hope its helpful.

Reactions: Emmasndco

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone else has been to the insulin resistance clinic at Addenbrookes? My local hospital have referred me there as we know I am producing twice the amount of insulin I need. Despite losing 3 stone, eating low carb and exercising regularly the blood sugars won’t shift. Hovering anywhere between 17 and 22 at the mo.
This sounds exactly like me. What meds are you on?

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you had testing for an insulinoma?
Thanks for the suggestion Indy, I'm at work but have had a quick google. I don't think its me as by sugar levers are high - I'm constantly hyper rather than hypo. Please correct me if I have mis - understood.

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This sounds exactly like me. What meds are you on?
Hi, I'm currently taking, Metformin, Pioglitozone and Ozempic. Have previously been on Gliclazide, Victoza, Dapagliflozen, Insulin - humilin I. My meds keep getting chopped and changed. I find they seem to work for a little while then stop working. What are you on? Makes me feel better someone else is in the same boat.

Reactions: lcarter

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is an Insulin Resistance clinic? What sort of treatment do they provide?

Reactions: Emmasndco

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having read the patient information leaflet from the link, the treatment is advising a very low fat diet to treat both this, and any fatty liver.

Thoughts on this please?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Having read the patient information leaflet from the link, the treatment is advising a very low fat diet to treat both this, and any fatty liver.

Thoughts on this please?
Sorry. I found low fat only advice a joke not your post.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Lchf does work for everyone but I've not met/heard anyone who hasn't had any improvement on less carbs. From their true starting point not after using another extreme diet method.
Everyone has different levels of staying power too. Everyone isn't born equal.
Individual care has been proven to be more effective.

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To me it just sounds like more of the same old same old, but I wish @Emmasndco the best of luck. Hopefully they are able to help in some way.
Thank you for your support. I fear they might not see me anyway due to my weight :(

Last edited:

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@lucylocket61 I’m not 100% sure which document you are reading, but from what I have read they will not treat me as I’m obese. My BMI is over 30. I got that from the left hand side. Info for referring clinicians. I think they will simply say my weight is the cause of my insulin resistance. The hospital is stumped as my weight has been dropping but my HBA1C has been steadily rising.

M

Member496333

I think they will simply say my weight is the cause of my insulin resistance.

Which would be completely upside down and back to front, but I expect you are right in that this will almost certainly be their line of thinking.

SaWi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you for your support. I fear they might not see me anyway due to my weight :(
Actually, I read the criteria for referring as being under three possible routes. Is it possible that your GP is thinking of lipodystrophy? There is an interesting article about it here
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/8/2142
The article suggests that leptin treatment might help, and the CUH leaflet mentions leptins.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Actually, I read the criteria for referring as being under three possible routes. Is it possible that your GP is thinking of lipodystrophy? There is an interesting article about it here
https://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/8/2142
The article suggests that leptin treatment might help, and the CUH leaflet mentions leptins.
Leptin treatment currently isn't great. In its infant yrs of medicine. Although loads on medical reports as reference rather than a solution.
I'm hopefully they will soon manufacture an aid but it's not the complete solution, just a small portion.
You can train your mind to block leptin responses if the need arises.