Flying with pump

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This will be my first time flying with my pump a Medtronic 640 pump. Flying from Edinburgh to Alicante in 10 days

I have a letter about my pump, a letter about my other diabetes kit and my prescription so that should be enough ??

I know not to put my pump through in hand luggage through X ray. So far so good

Now when we go through the scanner is that just a walk through metal detector scanner I guess that is OK. Or should I mention to security about my pump and ask to be hand scanned ?

Do many airports have a full body scanner which i guess I should not go through with my pump ?
My 640g has been through the walk through scanner many times. I would put it in the baggage or full body scanner tho.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Now when we go through the scanner is that just a walk through metal detector scanner I guess that is OK. Or should I mention to security about my pump and ask to be hand scanned ?

Do many airports have a full body scanner which i guess I should not go through with my pump ?
The metal detector is fine to go through. I usually don't mention my pump unless there are body scanners, which you shouldn't go through with your pump, usually you can have a pat down instead or take your pump off and go through the body scanner, make sure if you take your pump off, to get somebody you trust to keep a hold of it. Usually my pump and/or hands will be swabbed (for drugs? explosives? not sure) but I don't know if that's the case for everybody or all airports.

Ann48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I usually set my pump to aircraft mode when flying. I try not to disconnect requesting a pat down.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My 640g has been through the walk through scanner many times. I would put it in the baggage or full body scanner tho.

Do you mean you would NOT put it in the baggare or the full body scanner ??

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
This will be my first time flying with my pump a Medtronic 640 pump. Flying from Edinburgh to Alicante in 10 days

I have a letter about my pump, a letter about my other diabetes kit and my prescription so that should be enough ??

I know not to put my pump through in hand luggage through X ray. So far so good

Hi @smc4761 the walk thru scans are fine BUT do not go thru the ones where you have to put your hands in the air. Airport security in most cases are fully aware of insulin pumps BUT there are a few people who are definitely not. All your letters are enough mate.
Go to the help/disability section of the airport as soon as you get there and ask for the "hidden disability lanyard".......it helps no end, straight through customs and priority boarding for you and whoever is traveling with you.
PS all your supplies in your carry on PLUS you will be allowed an extra carry on for your medical bits and bobs

Reactions: smc4761

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @smc4761 the walk thru scans are fine BUT do not go thru the ones where you have to put your hands in the air. Airport security in most cases are fully aware of insulin pumps BUT there are a few people who are definitely not. All your letters are enough mate.
Go to the help/disability section of the airport as soon as you get there and ask for the "hidden disability lanyard".......it helps no end, straight through customs and priority boarding for you and whoever is traveling with you.
PS all your supplies in your carry on PLUS you will be allowed an extra carry on for your medical bits and bobs

Cheers @porl69 . I only recently found out that i was allowed an additional bag for my medical stuff so thats a wee Brucie Bonus.
How does the lanyard get you through priority boarding, do you have to ask ??

I was on the Edinburgh airport site last night and have requested they send me one of the lanyards; I fly out at 6.30 in morning so helpdesk area may not be open.

Does anyone know if the Lanyard is a recognized item, eg if I wore this at Alicante would they understand what this was for. My wife works in a supermarket and she says they have Lanyards for those that require assistance and it looks very similar to the one used at airport

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I spoke with Edinburgh airport who are sending out the lanyard to my home.

I had also asked if this was something for UK and they have advised;

The pin and lanyard should be recognised In most UK and EU airports now.

So defo worth getting if you are flying.

Thanks for all of your help people

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@smc4761 the staff see the lanyard and usher you through customs etc and at boarding they put you in a separate line to board first. I have not used it in any EU airports, so can not tell you if it works

Jeff2784

I travel on a very regular basis with work, and never detach before/after takeoff.

Have always gone through the scanner and they usually ask for a wand of the device to check for explosives. (Note, don't go clay pigeon shooting the day before you fly, then have your pump swabbed)

I now carry jellytots with me. I can take them through customs without issue, they work fast, and last for years unopened. Starting using them when lucozade CHO was nobbled.

Reactions: smc4761

sjm1308

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to update everyone since my original query...I didnt end up taking the letter from my gp as she was charging me £30 which I just couldn't get my head around. Eventually got one from my dsn but it arrived after my holiday!

At the airport I didn't take the lanyard just a personal decision. I thought at security I would wait till I was asked. I wasnt. I stepped through the metal detector and was waved on through. Same on return so thankfully I didn't have any struggle there.

On the flight there i put my pump on airplane mode. About 30mins after take off I went hypo and ended up having to suspend my pump for over an hour. So on landing I disconnected. I disconnected for take off and landing on way home too. No hypo. Dont know if it was the stress though as I had myself needlessly worked up over security.

Next time I wont be so anxious but I'm glad I now have a letter explaining all incase I need it.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad it went reasonably well, next time you will sail through customs, I have been flying around in Myanmar no problems at all so far

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to update everyone since my original query...I didnt end up taking the letter from my gp as she was charging me £30 which I just couldn't get my head around. Eventually got one from my dsn but it arrived after my holiday!

At the airport I didn't take the lanyard just a personal decision. I thought at security I would wait till I was asked. I wasnt. I stepped through the metal detector and was waved on through. Same on return so thankfully I didn't have any struggle there.

On the flight there i put my pump on airplane mode. About 30mins after take off I went hypo and ended up having to suspend my pump for over an hour. So on landing I disconnected. I disconnected for take off and landing on way home too. No hypo. Dont know if it was the stress though as I had myself needlessly worked up over security.

Next time I wont be so anxious but I'm glad I now have a letter explaining all incase I need it.

Glad it all went OK for you, apart from hypo.

My lanyard arrived yesterday and i fly next week, so will wear it and see how things go. Will update on my return

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I stepped through the metal detector and was waved on through. Same on return so thankfully I didn't have any struggle there.

My replacement hips always set off the metal detectors, interesting that your pump never - my old Combo used to set them off (pre hips). Glad it all went well for you.

Reactions: porl69