LADA, awaiting results - exercise advice

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’ve had a bit of a rollercoaster few weeks, finally had blood tests and waiting for results to confirm (or deny) LADA. Family history, thyroid problems, rapid weight loss, ketones, poor control on 3 medications ... blah blah
The nurse wanted me to start insulin last year but I fought against it. Started some other injection for type 2 before Christmas and put up with side effects for 5 weeks but genuinely thought I was going to die!
Stared lantus two weeks ago and started novo yesterday. Today I had a 5.6 fasting reading - previously 10-15.
I want to resume exercising but thought I’d take a few days of getting into a routine (experimenting) before adding weights and swimming (muscle wastage).
I work full time and think the best time to exercise (around running after kids and work hours) is evening - 7:30 ish. So the point of this post “any advice around managing insulin and exercise while in this new period of life?’
TIA

Reactions: Juicyj

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’ve had a bit of a rollercoaster few weeks, finally had blood tests and waiting for results to confirm (or deny) LADA. Family history, thyroid problems, rapid weight loss, ketones, poor control on 3 medications ... blah blah
The nurse wanted me to start insulin last year but I fought against it. Started some other injection for type 2 before Christmas and put up with side effects for 5 weeks but genuinely thought I was going to die!
Stared lantus two weeks ago and started novo yesterday. Today I had a 5.6 fasting reading - previously 10-15.
I want to resume exercising but thought I’d take a few days of getting into a routine (experimenting) before adding weights and swimming (muscle wastage).
I work full time and think the best time to exercise (around running after kids and work hours) is evening - 7:30 ish. So the point of this post “any advice around managing insulin and exercise while in this new period of life?’
TIA

Hi Bewildered, I'm sure folks will be around to comment soon, but in the meantime, our friend, @Juicyj created a thread a while ago you might find interesting: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/managing-exercise-and-insulin.127691/

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Bewildered

Its great you want to resume your exercise regime and it’s certainly do-able, another site to help you understand the impact of insulin in exercise is runsweet.com. My advice is to keep a diary and glucose to hand to start with, ideally liquid glucose as it’s easier to consume if you go low. We all respond differently, my plan with exercise is to ensure I don’t have quick acting insulin on board and start high-ish so I have leverage. Just go for it though as it’s easy to create obstacles.

Let us know how you get on ?

Reactions: Bewildered

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well the LADA has been confirmed today and I mentioned exercise at my review, I was told to take extra insulin to manage any glucose pumped out. I did Zumba on Sunday, my readings before were 27 mmols/L as I’d had breakfast and only just injected the rapid, after 30 mins cardio it was 13, albeit that the rapid had probably kicked in too.