legumes

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Figures can be confusing for legumes, particularly lentils. If they are in water check if the 100g is drained weight. If they are dry then they can increase as much as 3 times in weight when cooked. Add to that the fact that all the varieties seem to have different effect on bg and it's a minefield. I have had most success with Black Beans 8.3g per 100g and Green Lentils 8.5g per 100g both drained weight.

Saur

Figures can be confusing for legumes, particularly lentils. If they are in water check if the 100g is drained weight. If they are dry then they can increase as much as 3 times in weight when cooked. Add to that the fact that all the varieties seem to have different effect on bg and it's a minefield. I have had most success with Black Beans 8.3g per 100g and Green Lentils 8.5g per 100g both drained weight.
I love legumes as well. I can I will test each of them as well.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
They do work out fairly high if eating instead of egg and meat, but I eat small quantities mixed with chicken etc in casseroles or soup, and hummus isn't so bad because sesame seeds are lower in carbs.
I was going to try making falafels with some ground seeds or nuts and reducing the amount of chickpeas, because I am struggling to find meals to share with vegan friends that actually include enough protein.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What worries me more about legumes than the carbs is that in some areas many farmers drench the plants in glyphosate to dessicate them prior to harvest. I think the residues could be concerning. If there was one food I would always buy organic, it would be legumes. Add to that if buying them canned, there's the possible issue of BPA linings in cans. Bit of a minefield really. That said, I don't really like them so only occasional use of lentils here as they don't seem to have much impact on my BG.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Head shaking at the complexity of search engines