New diagnosed as type 2

The-Archies

Hi all,

I was finally given the news I am type 2 yesterday. I’ve been having blood test since before Xmas as part of an nhs Heath check. I was given very little information all through the process. I actually knew 2 weeks ago as 2 appointment were booked for me one being diabetic nurse call scheduled for Thursday and a diagnosed newly diabetic appointment for this weds showing on my doctor app. Didn’t take a genius to figure that one out ‍♀️

anyway I digress the nurse failed to call and after I called expressing my concern that no one is telling me anything yesterday a doctor called and confirmed my suspicions that I was type 2 ... no need for a scooby and the gang to figure that out ! he sent prescriptions for test strip and said with my levels I would most likely need meds.
My test results are first fasting came back hbA1c of 76 mmol/mol the second was 79 mmol/mol with blood glucose as 11.8 mmol/mol and 12.4 mmol/mol.

The doctor really didn't explain what these mean I mentioned that my dad is type 2 and I think he’s assumed my dad would go through it with me. God love my dad he’s pretty useless and lives 500 miles away.

Just after a little advice regarding reading and what I should expect really? Just used my first pee strip 2 hours after eating a bacon sandwich and was showing up as either the darkest colour or one before a sorta in between. Please tell me I can still have the odd bacon sandwich ?

mouseee

Bacon yes, sandwich no.... if you are going to attack this with low carb diet like many on here. Bacon in between a couple of slices of bacon!?

At 76 your levels are also lower than many peoples starting numbers so you may be off any meds very soon if you make changes now. I went from 101 to 46 in 3 months with low carb.

There will be lots of good info posted here very soon by lots of forum users who'll add links etc.

Most importantly, get your self a glucose monitor if the prescription isn't for one. Very rare to be prescribed one. Test before and after eating.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi The-Archies and welcome to the forum.
First let me post a link for up the useful info we offer newbies:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Have a read and come back with any questions you have. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
Next I would reiterate @mouseee ’s suggestion to get a blood sugar meter, much more accurate than urine test strips. If you want info about meters we can provide that for you.

The-Archies

Bacon yes, sandwich no.... if you are going to attack this with low carb diet like many on here. Bacon in between a couple of slices of bacon!?

At 76 your levels are also lower than many peoples starting numbers so you may be off any meds very soon if you make changes now. I went from 101 to 46 in 3 months with low carb.

There will be lots of good info posted here very soon by lots of forum users who'll add links etc.

Most importantly, get your self a glucose monitor if the prescription isn't for one. Very rare to be prescribed one. Test before and after eating.
Thanks for your reply :) I was just looking at glucose monitor but have no idea which is best.

many suggestions would be gratefully received

Tim1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't know if this will help but I was diagnosed back in early September 2019 and had a similar story. I was scheduled for an annual blood test and had arranged an appointment a week later to get the results. While waiting for this I was on my Surgery App to order a repeat prescription and saw a new med on the list (Metformin) A quick bit of research confirmed what I thought but I was really not happy that I had to find out this way rather than face to face. I haven't been given any testing strips glucose monitor etc and was told I would probably have to be put on additional meds after my next blood test. Anyway....

My initial Hba1C was 77, I was 53 coming in at a whopping 130kg with a BMI of 45. I immediately released this was a bit of a 'last chance saloon' for me and I had to do something about it. I started reducing carbs and have found a level that works for me around 80g-100g a day with a calorie control of about 1200-1500 a day. I am also doing a 'brisk' walk of 6km a day, every day.

Had a second blood test in October 2019 when my weight had dropped by 12kg (26.4lbs) and my Hba1C had come down to 47 (through diet and 1000mg of Metformin a day.) Diabetic Nurse was surprised and pleased by the improvement and decided to keep me on Metformin and see if I could maintain the improvement.

Cut to today 01/02/20 and my weight is now down to 96.8kg a loss of 33.2kg (73lbs) and my BMI is 33.4. I had my latest blood test Friday morning so am anxiously awaiting the result. (I was relatively restrained over Christmas so I am hoping that hasn't done too much damage! I am still on my weight loss journey, next target is 86.5kg with BMI 29.9 this will put me in the overweight category for the first time in a very long time! (Then the next stop is healthy weight!)

This is a long post and I don't want it to sound like I am bragging because I really am not, as you will see from the posts above I am still very early in my journey and I also realise this is only one persons perspective. I am hoping what comes across is that it is possible to make a big impact on those numbers quickly and positively. I won't lie and say it hasn't been challenging because it has but at the same time it has not been unrealistic and I am seeing a way through to a lifestyle that is sustainable in the long term for me.

Some really good advice above. The one thing I would add is be ever so cautious about researching on the internet and especially Youtube there is so much conflicting information and downright bad advice on there and it can quickly become very overwhelming.

This is also my first post by the way. I have been a lurker for 4 months but your story sounded so similar to mine I wanted to throw in my thoughts too.

All the best.

The-Archies

Don't know if this will help but I was diagnosed back in early September 2019 and had a similar story. I was scheduled for an annual blood test and had arranged an appointment a week later to get the results. While waiting for this I was on my Surgery App to order a repeat prescription and saw a new med on the list (Metformin) A quick bit of research confirmed what I thought but I was really not happy that I had to find out this way rather than face to face. I haven't been given any testing strips glucose monitor etc and was told I would probably have to be put on additional meds after my next blood test. Anyway....

My initial Hba1C was 77, I was 53 coming in at a whopping 130kg with a BMI of 45. I immediately released this was a bit of a 'last chance saloon' for me and I had to do something about it. I started reducing carbs and have found a level that works for me around 80g-100g a day with a calorie control of about 1200-1500 a day. I am also doing a 'brisk' walk of 6km a day, every day.

Had a second blood test in October 2019 when my weight had dropped by 12kg (26.4lbs) and my Hba1C had come down to 47 (through diet and 1000mg of Metformin a day.) Diabetic Nurse was surprised and pleased by the improvement and decided to keep me on Metformin and see if I could maintain the improvement.

Cut to today 01/02/20 and my weight is now down to 96.8kg a loss of 33.2kg (73lbs) and my BMI is 33.4. I had my latest blood test Friday morning so am anxiously awaiting the result. (I was relatively restrained over Christmas so I am hoping that hasn't done too much damage! I am still on my weight loss journey, next target is 86.5kg with BMI 29.9 this will put me in the overweight category for the first time in a very long time! (Then the next stop is healthy weight!)

This is a long post and I don't want it to sound like I am bragging because I really am not, as you will see from the posts above I am still very early in my journey and I also realise this is only one persons perspective. I am hoping what comes across is that it is possible to make a big impact on those numbers quickly and positively. I won't lie and say it hasn't been challenging because it has but at the same time it has not been unrealistic and I am seeing a way through to a lifestyle that is sustainable in the long term for me.

Some really good advice above. The one thing I would add is be ever so cautious about researching on the internet and especially Youtube there is so much conflicting information and downright bad advice on there and it can quickly become very overwhelming.

This is also my first post by the way. I have been a lurker for 4 months but your story sounded so similar to mine I wanted to throw in my thoughts too.

All the best.
Thank so much for the reply tim1966, a massive we’ll done to you! Those are amazing results! You should be very proud of yourself.

my bmi is 32 which is not great, I put on a lot of weight after given both to twins who are now 7. I’m very concerned that I’ll struggle to keep to a struck diet, don’t want to seem like I’m making excuses but my work hours are all over the place, one day I’m 9-5 th next 11am-10pm working 5.5hrs on my own, unable to leave the counter. Often relying on pre packed food :( I rarely have breakfast as I’m trying to get myself and 2x7 year olds ready for school and myself for work. I can’t always get to a bathroom to actually use it never mind measure blood sugar. This in mind can I ask how you measure your blood sugar , what and where will I get a glucose measure? As the strip will just not be practical for me because of work.

well done again I hope I can be as successful x

Last edited:
M

Member496333

Hi and welcome. Buy and read The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung. It should be standard issue to all type 2 diabetics. Also available as an audiobook, read by the man himself. This will very likely be the most important book you will ever read.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your reply :) I was just looking at glucose monitor but have no idea which is best.

many suggestions would be gratefully received

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details below.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Home Health have recently bought out this one too, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Chris26111980

Hi and welcome. Buy and read The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung. It should be standard issue to all type 2 diabetics. Also available as an audiobook, read by the man himself. This will very likely be the most important book you will ever read.
He claims diabetes can be cured.
ordered his book now

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are safe enough watching Dr Jason Fung's YouTube videos. He is regarded as a minor God around these parts.

You could take a lunchbox to work. Include such things as cheese, olives, nuts, packet of pork scratchings.

Many here have coffee with double cream for brekkie.

It's a lot to take in. Read around and ask questions.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although I was diagnosed with Hba1c of 91 I never saw a positive urine dipstick - but I did not get them straight away, IIRC so by the time I had been eating a low carb diet for a while I would have reduced my blood glucose levels down to normal.
I'm afraid that a couple of thick slices of bread would be my entire day's carb allowance and I would far rather have salad and vegetables plus a few berries, though you can get Livlife or protein bread which have only 4 gm of carbs in each, admittedly small slice.