Type 2 Smoking

taxi lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all.. now here's a question. Has giving up smoking ever caused anyone blood sugars to go through the roof??

I was diagnosed with type 2 a couple of years ago... go it under control with diet exercise and metformin. And kept my bloods at a decent level for over a year.

To cut a long story short. I gave up smoking 9 months ago. And my bloods have crept back up and up to a point where they are just as bad as when I was first diagnosed.

I've not replaced the cigs with sweets or any other ****.. diet is still same and regular exercise but just cant get my levels back down.. most recent blood test came back at 86.

Now giving up smoking is the only change I've made..

Could my metformin just stop working as my body got used to it..

I'm lost. And it's doing my head in..

Any advice

Taxi lee

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are you eating?
It could simply be coincidental timing.

taxi lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd say my diet is pretty ok..
Breakfast I'll have yogurt with berries.
Lunch just plain chicken thighs
And tea meat and veg or salad..
Snack on nuts
Il have 2 vodka and soda at night..
So I'd say its pretty low carb diet.
What are you eating?
It could simply be coincidental timing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd say my diet is pretty ok..
Breakfast I'll have yogurt with berries.
Lunch just plain chicken thighs
And tea meat and veg or salad..
Snack on nuts
Il have 2 vodka and soda at night..
So I'd say its pretty low carb diet.
Do you test blood sugars at home or just wait for HbA1c results?
Wondering what sort of levels you see after your meals.

taxi lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only now and again pal.. I'd not ate for a few hours after breakfast this morning and checked and they were 17.7
Really high
Do you test blood sugars at home or just wait for HbA1c results?
Wondering what sort of levels you see after your meals.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.. now here's a question. Has giving up smoking ever caused anyone blood sugars to go through the roof??

I was diagnosed with type 2 a couple of years ago... go it under control with diet exercise and metformin. And kept my bloods at a decent level for over a year.

To cut a long story short. I gave up smoking 9 months ago. And my bloods have crept back up and up to a point where they are just as bad as when I was first diagnosed.

I've not replaced the cigs with sweets or any other ****.. diet is still same and regular exercise but just cant get my levels back down.. most recent blood test came back at 86.

Any advice

Taxi lee
Hey @taxi lee ,

You say you didn't change your diet since the smoking thing... What was your diet? If it was still high carb, then T2 is a progressive condition, it gets worse with time. If you're already low carbing though, stress could be a factor. (I know smoking relaxed me some).
Hope that helps,
Jo

taxi lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi jo..
My diet is low carb.. that's how I got my diabetes under control and kept it under control for a year or so.. since giving up the dreaded cigs it's just crept up and up..
Hey @taxi lee ,

You say you didn't change your diet since the smoking thing... What was your diet? If it was still high carb, then T2 is a progressive condition, it gets worse with time. If you're already low carbing though, stress could be a factor. (I know smoking relaxed me some).
Hope that helps,
Jo

D

Deleted member 308541

Stopping smoking tobacco with all of it's toxic waste by products will not effect your bgl.

Check what you are eating for the culprit.

28 years nicotine free and counting... :D

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You kicked the habit. But I'm not at all surprised your levels went up. Mine did for a while.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
About 7 months .... it's a hard thing to deal with until the body recovers.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Any advice

Taxi lee

Hi Taxi lee

The same happened to me when I stopped smoking although I vape now. I stopped in June 2019 and for the following 3 months my levels were higher, but not often in double figures and I too didn't change anything else. It's now back to how it was before I stopped smoking. I think its the shock to the body and although you may not feel stressed in your mind, I think maybe our bodies are under stress. Maybe just keep a close eye on your levels and if they continue to be high get back to the doctors and see if they can help. Sorry, I can't offer any other solution, but well done for giving up the smokes, it's not easy.

taxi lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi mazza. I gave up in may 19... and struggling with my sugars since .. cut carbs out nearly completely last 2 weeks so will see how it goes.. thanks for reply..
Hi Taxi lee

The same happened to me when I stopped smoking although I vape now. I stopped in June 2019 and for the following 3 months my levels were higher, but not often in double figures and I too didn't change anything else. It's now back to how it was before I stopped smoking. I think its the shock to the body and although you may not feel stressed in your mind, I think maybe our bodies are under stress. Maybe just keep a close eye on your levels and if they continue to be high get back to the doctors and see if they can help. Sorry, I can't offer any other solution, but well done for giving up the smokes, it's not easy.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi mazza. I gave up in may 19... and struggling with my sugars since .. cut carbs out nearly completely last 2 weeks so will see how it goes.. thanks for reply..

Taxi- lee - keep a close eye on those numbers. That high, day in day out won't be doing you any favours, all round.

I'd suggest you have a trip t the Doc to discuss. Giving up smoking is one of, it not the best thing you can do for your health, so, please don't consider going back on that.

Even if you needed a bit of medicinal support whilst your body recovers, it needn't be forever.

Ther is also a chance (nobody could guess how high/low a chance), that there could be something else in play, or indeed that you may have been misdiagnosed.

Don't be too brave on this. It might not help you out in the longer run.

taxi lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi DCUKMod..
I was thinking that myself. Maybe misdiagnosed..
But what else can cause high blood sugars other than diabetes.
Really driving me mad.
I was only at doctors other week and die another blood test in few more weeks..
He told me to give it 6 weeks inbetween blood tests now
Taxi- lee - keep a close eye on those numbers. That high, day in day out won't be doing you any favours, all round.

I'd suggest you have a trip t the Doc to discuss. Giving up smoking is one of, it not the best thing you can do for your health, so, please don't consider going back on that.

Even if you needed a bit of medicinal support whilst your body recovers, it needn't be forever.

Ther is also a chance (nobody could guess how high/low a chance), that there could be something else in play, or indeed that you may have been misdiagnosed.

Don't be too brave on this. It might not help you out in the longer run.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
@taxi lee ... really should be 3 months between blood tests, NOT 6 weeks.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi DCUKMod..
I was thinking that myself. Maybe misdiagnosed..
But what else can cause high blood sugars other than diabetes.
Really driving me mad.
I was only at doctors other week and die another blood test in few more weeks..
He told me to give it 6 weeks inbetween blood tests now

Whilst the following page talks about insulin, these are just a few of the reasons glucose can go high.

Whilst HbA1c tests are usually done every 3 months, a number of influential doctors are now doing A1c tests in specific patients sooner. It seems the HbA1c result is not based on even measure over the usual 3 months, but is significantly weighted to reflect the more recent times, so it can be used to demonstrate the direction of travel (for those newly diagnosed, this can be really encouraging to see things improving), to check for deterioration or just to ensure a steady state.

I'd certainly be happier with a retest at 6 weeks than 12, but if your numbers are regularly in the high teens, that's really not great.

In your shoes, I'd be doubling down my blood glucose management efforts, maybe going keto or even carnivore to see if that had any impact. If, however, those numbers start increasing, or you experience the symptoms above, please act.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
If it's gonna be six weeks, then be prepared for that for a long period to gather a trend ....

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Out of curiosity what level did you get your A1c down to after being diagnosed? My levels sometimes goes high for what seems like no reason at all. I find sometimes if I increase my carbs just a little, they actually come down. Maybe your body is producing extra sugar as it needs the energy. I'm still learning about this disease, so what works for me might not work for you. I think some more experienced people on here might correct me if I'm wrong about that.