Intermittent high Fasting BG

Ray807

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am Ray, new here, 72 years young, Insulin resistant for 20 years, no meds. diet controlled. A1c 5.7 - 6.3
I would like to know if anyone knows why my fasting BG is intermittent,
For 6 or 7 days it will be below 6.5
Then suddenly 7.5 - 8.0 no different food, same time to bed and same time arise.
This will last for a couple of days then back to below 6.5.
This can't be dawn syndrome, can it?
Doesn't cause any problems just frustrating.
Thanks
Ray

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums.

This can't be dawn syndrome, can it?

That would be my first guess, but maybe some others will have different suggestions....
Your liver loves you and wants to give you plenty of energy to help you be active in the morning :). Seriously though, do you drink alcohol? That could make a difference to the dawn phenomena.

Ray807

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forums.

That would be my first guess, but maybe some others will have different suggestions....
Your liver loves you and wants to give you plenty of energy to help you be active in the morning :). Seriously though, do you drink alcohol? That could make a difference to the dawn phenomena.

My night time BG is always less than 6.5 so why sometimes the big increase yet other times not?.
Yes i do have a couple (errrhumm) drinks after dinner but not excessive.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yes i do have a couple (errrhumm) drinks after dinner but not excessive.

Alcohol often reduces the dawn phenomenon because your liver processes the alcohol rather than producing glycogen (sugar). Not necessarily so great for T1s like me who need their liver to rescue them from hypos caused by excess insulin, but for a T2 not on glucose lowering meds it can sometimes be a good thing. Not that I'm advocating alcohol as a life style choice to reduce the dawn phenomena, but it can have that effect.

Ray807

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So, if i knew which mornings i was going to be high i should drink more alcohol the night before ......lol..........

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or do your lower mornings align with drinking alcohol the night before? Start recording?

Ray807

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a member of dietdoctor.com
I drink about the same amount of alcohol each night 2 low carb beers and 2 wines)so its not that.
I test at least 4 times a day
I also follow LCHF (not strict) but close.
My evening meal most nights at about 6pm is steamed green veg, small serve meat, boiled eggs, 2 x tsp Tumeric/sinammon in 150mls of thickend cream
nothing then till 7am next day.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a member of dietdoctor.com
I drink about the same amount of alcohol each night 2 low carb beers and 2 wines)so its not that.
I test at least 4 times a day
I also follow LCHF (not strict) but close.
My evening meal most nights at about 6pm is steamed green veg, small serve meat, boiled eggs, 2 x tsp Tumeric/sinammon in 150mls of thickend cream
nothing then till 7am next day.

Could this be related to how you have slept the night before? If I have a very disturbed night, or if I am uptight about anything, my fasting numbers might notch up a bit.

Ray807

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could this be related to how you have slept the night before? If I have a very disturbed night, or if I am uptight about anything, my fasting numbers might notch up a bit.
Have been high 7s fasting BG for last 3 days. This morning 6.2, Don't think i slept any different or less stressed but will keep a check on it.