1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Intermittent high Fasting BG

Discussion in 'Greetings and Introductions' started by Ray807, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Ray807

Ray807 Prediabetes · Member

Hi I am Ray, new here, 72 years young, Insulin resistant for 20 years, no meds. diet controlled. A1c 5.7 - 6.3
    I would like to know if anyone knows why my fasting BG is intermittent,
    For 6 or 7 days it will be below 6.5
    Then suddenly 7.5 - 8.0 no different food, same time to bed and same time arise.
    This will last for a couple of days then back to below 6.5.
    This can't be dawn syndrome, can it?
    Doesn't cause any problems just frustrating.
    Thanks
    Ray

2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums.

That would be my first guess, but maybe some others will have different suggestions....
    Your liver loves you and wants to give you plenty of energy to help you be active in the morning :). Seriously though, do you drink alcohol? That could make a difference to the dawn phenomena.

3. Ray807

My night time BG is always less than 6.5 so why sometimes the big increase yet other times not?.
    Yes i do have a couple (errrhumm) drinks after dinner but not excessive.

4. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Alcohol often reduces the dawn phenomenon because your liver processes the alcohol rather than producing glycogen (sugar). Not necessarily so great for T1s like me who need their liver to rescue them from hypos caused by excess insulin, but for a T2 not on glucose lowering meds it can sometimes be a good thing. Not that I'm advocating alcohol as a life style choice to reduce the dawn phenomena, but it can have that effect.

5. Ray807

So, if i knew which mornings i was going to be high i should drink more alcohol the night before ......lol..........

6. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Or do your lower mornings align with drinking alcohol the night before? Start recording?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ray807

I am a member of dietdoctor.com
    I drink about the same amount of alcohol each night 2 low carb beers and 2 wines)so its not that.
    I test at least 4 times a day
    I also follow LCHF (not strict) but close.
    My evening meal most nights at about 6pm is steamed green veg, small serve meat, boiled eggs, 2 x tsp Tumeric/sinammon in 150mls of thickend cream
    nothing then till 7am next day.

#7 Ray807, Feb 7, 2020 at 1:49 AM
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  8. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Could this be related to how you have slept the night before? If I have a very disturbed night, or if I am uptight about anything, my fasting numbers might notch up a bit.

9. Ray807

Have been high 7s fasting BG for last 3 days. This morning 6.2, Don't think i slept any different or less stressed but will keep a check on it.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook