mayonnaise

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
is there any mayonnaise (shop bought ) available in the uk made with eggs and olive oil? ive only just noticed that hellmans is 78 percent rapeseed oil..

Lilylala

Hi yes I have just googled and found a few
Kraft do one also Waitrose do one too
There are quite a few if you to look on line
Don't know what they are like I have never tried them myself

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
is there any mayonnaise (shop bought ) available in the uk made with eggs and olive oil? ive only just noticed that hellmans is 78 percent rapeseed oil..
Hi,
Hellmans do an olive oil mayo. I get mine from Tesco and its very nice!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Hellmans do an olive oil mayo. I get mine from Tesco and its very nice!

But still mainly rapeseed oil.. see the ingredients list sorry...
Screenshot 2020-02-13 at 13.25.47.png

M

Member496333

Big Food strikes again. 5% olive oil :rolleyes:

And apparently, olive oil itself can be cut with other oils. Well, according to Vinnie Tortorich. That may be US only, but nothing surprises me.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If people do make their own OO mayo, then I strongly recommend using the ‘mild OO’.

i tried making extra virgin OO mayo once. A bit too... um... intense? dominating? pungent? for my tastes.

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surely rapeseed oil is another one that is advised to use. As healthy as olive oil but different taste.

Reactions: Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The huntergather avocado mayo is delicious.
I'd second that! But it's definitely expensive, so I tend to buy an extra jar or two when Ocado has it on offer.

However I've also used Hellmann's for donkeys years, and there's only a small quantity of oil in a dollop of mayonnaise. I have nothing against rapeseed oil apart from the fact that it's been grown very locally and the pollen used to give me rather bad hay fever...:bigtears: :eek:

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I am NOT happy with something called Olive Oil Mayo, when it has 60% rapeseed!
*googles number for Trading Standards...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Bamix mixer - one of its tricks is making mayonnaise - very handy and you know exactly what is in it - at least, hopefully the olive oil is what it claims to be.

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a Bamix mixer - one of its tricks is making mayonnaise - very handy and you know exactly what is in it - at least, hopefully the olive oil is what it claims to be.
ive tried it with one whole egg, olive oil ( not extra virgin) and give it a whizz with my cheap stick blender ..result ..slightley overpowering taste of the oil and thinner texture than shop bought..ive seen the adverts on the tv for the bamix my attempt wasnt the same...

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just saw at Costco (in Canada) a mayo being marketed as "Keto Mayonnaise". Which is odd since any proper mayo is carb free, or nearly so. It was made with coconut oil primarily.