1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

mayonnaise

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Diawara, Feb 13, 2020.

1. marzak

marzak Type 2 · Active Member

Rapeseed oil is lowest bad cholesterol available and grown in UK. Palm oil is bad. Olive oil is good too. Have you a dietary issue with rapeseed? I'm sure if you check Holland and Barrett website or Waitrose you may find an alternative mayonnaise.

2. marzak

marzak Type 2 · Active Member

You might develop some resistance to hay-fever by eating the oil isn't that how locally produced honey works (not that we diabetics can eat it )

3. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t touch rapeseed oil with someone else’s oily stick. The majority is inflammatory toxic soup just like any other heat and solvent extracted ‘vegetable’ oil. Sure, it’s available in cold pressed varieties, but I highly doubt those are typically found in processed slop like commercially produced mayonnaise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Diawara

Diawara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

that was my view on rape oil @Jim Lahey .and on the same line i note the first cooking oil to be emptied fromthe supermarket shelves has been the cheap sunflower /seed oils....does anyone remember the shelves of this stuff disapearing and used for fuel in diesel vehicles some years back ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It should also be noted that they were first invented to be used as fuels and lubricants. It was apparently Procter & Gamble who decided we should start feeding them to humans. A bit of marketing with the help of their partners at the American Heart Association, and the deed was done.

In combination with massive use of nicotine, these oils were almost certainly the chief architects of the heart disease crisis in the 1950's that brought about the conception of the diet-heart hypothesis in which real saturated fats and dietary cholesterol were wrongly convicted, no trial, no jury.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

The Bamix has different blades for different functions and it makes a big difference, just between the aerating and the beating versions which look very similar. It is well worth investing in a set as seen on the TV selling channel with the little mixing additions for when you don't want to be cleaning out a big food processor.

7. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I have always made v thick yummy mayo using a very cheap stick blender, and this method:

takes about 10 seconds

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lemonie

Lemonie Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I do this but use light in colour and taste olive oil

9. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sadly, I seem quite incapable of obtaining the same result - and I tried olive (pomace), avocado and liquid coconut oils. Never foams up / thickens... I've seen a carnivore version made with duck fat, I have to try that (as at present I'm not eating plants anyway).

10. Brunneria

Staff Member

My understanding is that the proportion of mustard to egg yolk is the vital thing to thicken it up, and that holding the blender foot over the egg yolk to start with, makes a huge different. Also the precise order the ingredients are added to the mix.

Not that I am suggesting you aren't doing all those things!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Divia

Divia · Active Member

I'd like to try making it, too. What oil do you use? Would you share your recipe? Thank you!

12. Brunneria

Staff Member

see my post above, it is all explained in the video. I’ve used sunflower, light olive oil and rapeseed oil. The light olive oil is my favourite.

13. EdSanRol

EdSanRol · Newbie

Any of you every tried making mayo based on chickpeas? I do that. (Instead of the yolk)
    I lowers the s/FATg and that is an important thing in controlling my cholesterol.
    It happens to thicken more easy too.

I second that mustard and a bit of lemon juice helps a lot too

14. copilost

copilost Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am so gonna try this, thank you! Plus I'm gonna do it with the accent :)

15. copilost

copilost Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Oh good grief I hadn't even thought of that....sometime in my future I might just give it a go :nailbiting:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Likely much higher carbs though and that matters far more to me that the myth that is the entire cholesterol debate.

Statins if you are on them can raise bgl and even cause diabetes and have Ustinov le benefits according to all the latest research. Take a look at this thread, it will raise your eyebrows. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook