Foot pain

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've long wondered what's up with my feet. I can wake up and suddenly I can't put weight on one foot for no real reason. I think it may be diabetic foot. I had great difficulty walking to the shops yesterday and the pain was acute wherever I put my foot up, and ibuprofen didn't really make a difference. The pain is not in the same area of the foot, but travels round. But I had a compression stocking from a time when I was worried about blood clots, and it took a long time to get it on because my foot was so swollen. I wore it all night in bed, and in the morning the paid wasn't completely gone, but it was much reduced. I've ordered more compression stocking online. My problem is hot baths, which can leave me with a foot frozen totally solid, unable to stand on it at all. Some websites actually recommend hot baths and hot tubs for diabetes, and others say the opposite....

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd suggest going to see your doctor, you don't know what the problem actually is so that needs to be worked out first (rather than using Mr Google), and it does definitely sound like you need to go see a doctor about it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Languagelearner we are not allowed to diagnose here, so your only option is to get seen by a Dr as @Rokaab has already said. Hope you get to the bottom of the problem soon :)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the previous posters. It can be easy to blame everything on diabetes but that isn't always the case. Rather than take any risks- see a doctor- they can give you a diagnosis and advise the best way to treat it.- I really don't think taking any risks with being able to walk is worth it. Good luck and I hope you find out the best way to treat it to recover.

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, thanks. There is a general difficulty in the UK with getting an appointment to see a GP at all. I think the Accident & emergency end of the health service works better, simply because you just turn up. I might be able to get an appointment in a couple of weeks.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi @Languagelearner, Accident and Emergency is for life changing/threatening only. If you are unable to find a GP you could ring 111 and they will book you an appointment with a walk-in centre. Hope this helps.

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Languagelearner, Accident and Emergency is for life changing/threatening only. If you are unable to find a GP you could ring 111 and they will book you an appointment with a walk-in centre. Hope this helps.

Hi, I know you mean well, but walk-in centres are closing in many parts of the country -- and if you go to a walk-in centre they will usually tell you "you have to go to your own GP for this". That's the way the system is set up. The GP thing is a real bottleneck.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi, I know you mean well, but walk-in centres are closing in many parts of the country -- and if you go to a walk-in centre they will usually tell you "you have to go to your own GP for this". That's the way the system is set up. The GP thing is a real bottleneck.

Hi @Languagelearner , I'm sorry to hear that. Have you had any luck today? Were you able to reach anyone?

Languagelearner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Languagelearner , I'm sorry to hear that. Have you had any luck today? Were you able to reach anyone?

Well, my foot pain has gone down after I started wearing heavy duty compression stockings, which prevent fluid pooling in the extremities. I'm waiting to have a blood test at the end of the month to confirm the diagnosis of diabetes - although I've complete cut out carbohydrates, so I think I might get it back below 48. Then in my surgery it's a case of logging an online support ticket on a website requesting an appointment, and the doctor will decide if you're getting one or not, and when you can have one. You can't just go to the GP - it's filtered online first here. And the walk-in centre in Lincoln has been closed down! So I won't interact with the doctor for a couple of weeks, and I have that time window to eliminate carbs and reverse the 48 reading I got at the end of January....

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, my foot pain has gone down after I started wearing heavy duty compression stockings, which prevent fluid pooling in the extremities. I'm waiting to have a blood test at the end of the month to confirm the diagnosis of diabetes - although I've complete cut out carbohydrates, so I think I might get it back below 48. Then in my surgery it's a case of logging an online support ticket on a website requesting an appointment, and the doctor will decide if you're getting one or not, and when you can have one. You can't just go to the GP - it's filtered online first here. And the walk-in centre in Lincoln has been closed down! So I won't interact with the doctor for a couple of weeks, and I have that time window to eliminate carbs and reverse the 48 reading I got at the end of January....

Languagelearner, you seem to have decided on your course of action, but if you are concerned, you can call NHS 111, who will usually arrange for an intervention of some sort - whether that is a GP calling you back, or organising an appointment with a GP, directing you to A&E or dispatching an ambulance.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing