What can I do with greek yogurt?

EmmaorEva

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I paid a lot of money for some unsweetened greek yogurt, and I can't find a way to make it edible. I tried adding fruit, but the strawberries I bought were sour and the bananas don't provide enough flavor to penetrate 5% greek yogurt. What can I make with this huge, expensive tub of yogurt?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
You could if you had to, add some sugar free sweetener to it and berries, maybe some nuts. I'd avoid bananas myself as they are a high carb high fructose food. If you make smoothies, you can add it to those. I'd google for ideas as well.

Reactions: EmmaorEva

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is no sense in buying a low carb yoghurt and adding banana - there is no benefit from eating high carb fruits.
Maybe make a sugar free jelly and whip some of the yoghurt into it?
full fat yoghurt isn't normally very expensive - I get mine in Lidl or Tesco.
What is the 5 percent?

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Add some low carb sweetener if you want, use a smaller portion of yoghurt, and add some unsalted mixed nuts and seeds. Use it as a substitute for mayo in tuna salad or lettuce wraps. Make a curry and put a dollop of yoghurt on top.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd agree with a substitute for mayo or other dressings. If you like spicey food, a bit of chilli sauce, or a few finely chopped chillies, a squirt of lemon or ideally lime juice, Salt and pepper, and off you go.

You could add a dollop, instead of milk, cream or butter to scrambled eggs.

If you want something sweeter, you could add some sweetener, then grate some very high cocoa content chocolate and maybe a few nuts onto it.

Personally, I like Greek yoghurt and whilst I usually make it with cow's milk, so not strictly Greek, I love by yoghurt breakfasts.

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like plain yoghurt as it is, especially the high fat greek ones. It may be an aquired taste, in the Netherlands 'yoghurt' is plain yoghurt, and is eaten by many people just as it is, the ones with added stuff are seen as a fancy luxury, like sweets. I can imagine how yoghurt wouldn't taste very nice when your mind expects a sweet fruit yoghurt, plain yoghurt is a different product with its own taste. Something like red currants tasting good, but not when you're expecting the sweetness of strawberries.

I love to make a zaziki with yoghurt and eat it with warm dishes. This is how I like my zaziki:
Move enough yoghurt from the tub to a bowl to make room for the cucumber (I usually either eat that bit right away or share it with the dogs and cats, or put it in the fridge for 'later' and forget about it until it starts to look funny). Grate a half cucumber or more, peel and all, the peel makes it look nice. Squish it to get rid of part of the fluid (I drink the cucumber juice, it tastes quite nice or I give it to the guinea-pigs). Add a pinch of salt, some lemon juice or zest, a couple of cloves of garlic and a splash of olive oil. Mix and leave for a couple of hours before eating.

I eat it with all kinds of warm dishes but when I have a tub of it in my fridge I also steal a couple of spoonfuls regularly when opening the fridge for something else.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Disclosure : I adore GY. I am delighted by the new license afforded by lchf to stuff quantities of the 5% fat stuff down instead of the miserable 0% offering, and have been eyeing up the 10% fat version for a while. (This pleasure is deferred while I am still actively trying to lose weight!) :cat:

However if it’s not to your taste as a dessert, it makes a great cooking ingredient, especially in Indian dishes, if that floats your boat. I use it as a replacement for cream cheese in recipes (since that’s not an ingredient I tend to have sitting around), and use it to cut the amount of cream in recipes which call for this, as I find them yummy but too rich. So palak paneer, butter chicken, tandoori chicken, almond flour breakfast pancakes, crustless quiche etc etc. The beauty is, it doesn’t split the sauce with heat (because of the fat content) so bung it in anything that seems like it would benefit from a dairy boost!

Reactions: Antje77

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I need to gain weight so I add double cream to my full fat yoghurt sometimes add a few berries or about a quarter of a satsuma
Carol

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I like to add a large squeeze of lemon, a few raspberries and blueberries, plus some chopped up mixture of nuts. Delicious. x

Lucylemonpip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve found that a splodge of good quality vanilla paste (not essence), adds a nice flavour to plain yoghurt and is less carbs than if you bought vanilla flavoured yoghurt. Since being on a low carb diet, I’ve found that one has to be, erm, what’s the word, ah yes......inventive! Lol.

mouseee

I added quarter of a teaspoon of lemon curd to my yogurt this morning. Loved the little lemon kick. About 2g carbs in the curd.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I must have missed those, probably hidden amongst the hundreds of low fat varieties and thousands of flavoured ones.
Indeed ..it takes some hunting to find the decent versions..