1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What can I do with greek yogurt?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by EmmaorEva, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Is the percentage being given the fat content?
    If so then lidl's Milbona Greek style yoghurt is 10 percent fat, 3.2 percent carbohydrate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

Mix some into a hot curry to make a nice flavour fusion...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Rylando88

Rylando88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Search “flavour drops” on google, plenty of brands and flavours, they’re bloody brilliant I use them in all kinds of things!!! Not to mention, sugar/carb/fat free! X

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. masonap

masonap Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’m not sure what Greek yogurt you bought but this one from Tesco is good. I take a couple of big spoonfuls with a little mixture of fruit and it’s great.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. MaggieM-UK

MaggieM-UK · Newbie

I sometimes mix a teaspoonful of pure peanut butter (no sweeteners, sugar, added oil etc) into a couple of dessert spoonfuls of yoghurt - that’s quite tasty.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

When I was borderline diabetic years ago I liked vanilla yoghurt with Nutella hazel nut spread, a nice fusion of flavours... [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. EmmaorEva

EmmaorEva Prediabetes · Member

Thank you, Tophat1900! I didn’t think of nuts. That’s a great idea!

I did buy some Stevia to add it and strawberries to the yogurt, but I'm not sure how much Stevia to use. Plus, the liquid Stevia I bought has a super-strong aftertaste. Is that normal? Or was buying off-brand Stevia a bad idea? :(

I did google for ideas. However, most of them were for savory dishes, and (I didn’t want to admit this “out loud” in my first post) I’m looking for something sweet. I really fruit on the bottom yogurt and was hoping to make a low-carb version.

As for the banana, I'm still new to LCHF and my pantry isn't fully stocked for my new diet. So I'm reticent to throw out my high-carb foods like pasta until I know how to make a varied and delicious LCHF diet. So far, I have about five recipes for home-cooked meals and several few supermarket salads that I like. That’s not enough meals for one week, let alone week after week.

8. EmmaorEva

I'm in the US and use a grocery delivery service, so it cost me about $7 which, by the way, is much more expensive than flavored yogurts. The yogurt is 5% milkfat. It was hard to find. The majority of yogurts at the store were nonfat.

How does sugar-free jelly taste? I'm leery of sugar-free products.

9. EmmaorEva

Unsalted nuts are a good idea. What are some tasty nuts to use? What are some good low-carb sweeteners?

And I like the idea of using it as a substitute for may in tuna salad. I haven't eaten a tuna salad sandwich since I was a kid.

• Like Like x 1
  10. EmmaorEva

DCUKMod: If I could make a daily breakfast out of it, that would be great. Right now my go-to is cheesy eggs and bacon. But I can't eat that meal in the morning on workdays because I'm paranoid that I'll burn the entire house down. I usually eat nothing or, even worse, a sugary Starbucks latte. ... God's still working on me.

Do you have any other breakfast recipes? Also, what brand and type of chocolate do you use?

11. EmmaorEva

I try eating plain at first, and I wasn't a fan. It didn't taste bad, per se, but I did find it bland. I'm definitely used to low-fat sweetened yogurt.

I like the Tzatziki, but I don't possess the foresight to fix that for a meal!

• Like Like x 1
  12. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

To be fair, "my" chocolate was recently thrown out as it had been in the fridge so long, untouched after a once in a blue moon shaving onto berries with cream. I'm just not a sweet gal (in any sense of the phrase :) )

However, in choosing chocolate, Lindt do some nice dark ones, or even Lidl and Aldi. If you posted a thread for that, there'd usually be plenty resources.

If you were to have cheesy scrambled eggs, made in the microwave, I reckon there'd be very little danger of burning the house down.

In terms of cold stuff for breakfast though, I might go for savoury.

I'm overseas at the moment, so my diet is a little different. Instead of my beloved yoghurt, I'm on hard boiled egg salad.

I hard boil 6 eggs at a time, then store them in the fridge. On my salad elements I have mayo, with some Sriacha Sauce stirred through. You could replace the mayo with yoghurt.

Similarly, you could do the hard boiled eggs, chop them up, then season and use the yoghurt like you would mayo in an egg mayo. That could be eaten with a fork or spoon, perhaps even with some crispy precooked bacon, or cold sausage.

There's nothing in the foregoing that couldn't be prepared the night before, and stored in the fridge.

Precooked bacon could be from M&S or the like, although, in my view, their crispy bacon is best.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Quinn1066

Quinn1066 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Depends on what nuts you like, I tend to like pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds, or as a treat macadamia nuts, but those are high calorie.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lynne C J

Lynne C J Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I buy mixed frozen berries, thaw them, to with Greek yogurt them a handful of low sugar/carb Granola. Delicious

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Yeah, some people find they just don't like stevia because of the after taste, so it's a personal thing really. Blend up some berries and you could make your own low carb fruit on the bottom yoghurt. The nuts will add some crunch. You can crush em up if ya like.

You can always look at www.dietdoctor.com for meal ideas that are low carb. Pretty good site I found. Not sure what else I can think of at the moment. Starting out is tough, but as time goes by it gets easier and you get more creative with food as you learn which foods are a no go and which are good to stick with.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tried the suggestion of using yoghurt instead of mayo on prawns and added some chilli powder it was very good but I must remember that my chilli powder is from the local Asian shop and very hot !
    Carol

• Like Like x 3
  17. sarahmorter2

sarahmorter2 Carer · Member

Definitely an acquired taste, and don't give up! Keep trying, your palate will change and most importantly - NOT ALL YOGURTS ARE CREATED EQUAL!!! Try others, mine costs pence and comes in a bucket from Lidl, or the full fat one from Aldi is nice too

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. WJP1055

WJP1055 Type 1 · Active Member

I add sugar free jelly to it! It's so easy, follow the instruction for making the jelly then add in most of a large container of natural Greek yogurt and hey presto it looks like blancmange. You could also use it to make pancakes. Look for recipes in the low carb programme.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Strawberries aren't very good this time of year, and higher in carbs than most berries, so I use raspberries with a sprinkle of Truvia sweetener if they aren't very sweet.
    Or frozen bilberries, better than blueberries and delicious if heated first so the skin is just beginning to burst open - but also might need a little truvia.

Or a spoonful on top of a curry, served with cauliflower rice.
    Stirred into a chicken korma with the coconut milk.
    In mushroom soup.

Or try mixing it half and half with double cream?

I buy a 500g pot of full fat Greek yogurt every week for less than £2.50. Either Waitrose or Total (Fage) from Tesco/Aldi.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Ashteadlady

Ashteadlady · Newbie

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook