High A1C levels can be lowered f you put in work to lower it

I went from high A1C level of 14.5 to
7.5 in 3 months while refusing to put metformin medication into my system. Started eating walnuts,peanuts & raisins. Stopped eating processed foods that has sugar & added sugar.Stopped eating red meat just ( turkey, chicken & fish ). Stopped eating bread potatoes & Noddles. And 12 hour fasting to give my digestive tract a big break & cleansing. Putting in the work of sacrificing eating of fast foods replacing it with everyday home cooked meals whole eating more cauliflower, cabbage , bananas and pears. Can heal anyone of type 2 diabetes disease. This is a lifetime routine once started. You will also feel great within yourself! And start looking better also.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
7.5 in 3 months while refusing to put metformin medication into my system. Started eating walnuts,peanuts & raisins. Stopped eating processed foods that has sugar & added sugar.Stopped eating red meat just ( turkey, chicken & fish ). Stopped eating bread potatoes & Noddles. And 12 hour fasting to give my digestive tract a big break & cleansing. Putting in the work of sacrificing eating of fast foods replacing it with everyday home cooked meals whole eating more cauliflower, cabbage , bananas and pears. Can heal anyone of type 2 diabetes disease. This is a lifetime routine once started. You will also feel great within yourself! And start looking better also.
Not to be difficult, but raisins, banana's, pears and such contain a lot of sugar... You could be doing even better than you are. ;) (And meat, fish etc are low to no carb... You could eat those to your heart's content.)

Reactions: DM123@

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not all things work for all ,for example I am a skinny type 2 trying hard to put on weight while lowering my BGs .bananas and pears would send my BGs into orbit and fasting for 12 hours would cause me to lose any hard earned weight gain
Carol

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Not all things work for all ,for example I am a skinny type 2 trying hard to put on weight while lowering my BGs .bananas and pears would send my BGs into orbit and fasting for 12 hours would cause me to lose any hard earned weight gain
Carol

I'm in the same boat as you. A TOFI and I'm not giving up on red meat for raisins, bananas and pears.:D

Reactions: Siddhantkhankal

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Because of course, all people with type 2 diabetes (as you refer to) are bad looking, fast food eating, pill popping individuals. Try a little humility.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your reductions so far and for wanting to share your success and help others.

Cutting sugar, processed foods, bread, potatoes and noodles has undoubtedly lowered your levels. Fasting will also have helped heal your body and lower levels too.

Raisins, bananas and pears will have limited your success somewhat though and there’s nothing about red meat that is detrimental to type 2 diabetes.

Stick around in here and learn even more and help yourself look and feel even better

nb for the record I was never a fast food eating, pill popper before or after diagnosis. I’ve always eaten veg, limited sugar and cooked at home. Don’t fall for the media “blame game” tactics. Suggesting this applies to all is fairly insulting

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why did you stop eating meat and fish out of interest? Lots of nutrients therein but no jacking up of the insulin and blood glucose levels.
Glad you are feeling good and agree this is a way of life not just for Christmas hence the need to make sure you get enough protein, minerals and healthy fats including sat fat (iron, vitamin A, triptophaan (regulates your serotonin levels) in chicken and turkey).

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

So, based on an experimental cohort of one, you have concluded that your approach can heal anyone.

Do you have any appreciation of scientific method?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

With some of those extremely questionable food choices, I would NOT feel great. Woeful advice to suggest it could "heal" anyone !!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No way would I have been able to achieve the results I have done if I was scoffing high sugar bananas and raisins, but on the other hand red meat has done me no harm and I've eaten it for over three quarters of a century.:D

nerovergil

BANNED
Carol
hey me too is skinny. do you take meds?

Reactions: Siddhantkhankal

deszcznocity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T1D dx'ed Sept 2019 with HbA1c 124. Jan 2019 HbA1c down to 42. I use Dr Bernstein's approach which is almost no carbs, high protein and moderate fat. It is NOT a ketogenic-centric approach, however the side effect is that you are in ketosis most of the time. I stopped eating dairy recently (see: casomorphin). If you want to gain weight AND lower your BG you need to:
a) cut the carbs to 30g a day (this is totally doable - see prof. Tim Noakes book Food Revolution)
b) eat a lot more protein (I suggest 85g at breakfast, 135g at lunch and 180g at dinner)
c) lower BG with insulin - approx 25% of protein intake is converted by your liver into glucose (see: gluconeogenesis) and insulin is a hormone responsible not only for lowering your BG but also for converting food energy into fat.
See attached - bear in mind I am type 1 - Dr Bernstein's diabetes solution works.

Attachments

• glucose libre March 2020.jpeg
    glucose libre March 2020.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 457

Petra4.4

T1D dx'ed Sept 2019 with HbA1c 124. Jan 2019 HbA1c down to 42. I use Dr Bernstein's approach which is almost no carbs, high protein and moderate fat. It is NOT a ketogenic-centric approach, however the side effect is that you are in ketosis most of the time. I stopped eating dairy recently (see: casomorphin). If you want to gain weight AND lower your BG you need to:
a) cut the carbs to 30g a day (this is totally doable - see prof. Tim Noakes book Food Revolution)
b) eat a lot more protein (I suggest 85g at breakfast, 135g at lunch and 180g at dinner)
c) lower BG with insulin - approx 25% of protein intake is converted by your liver into glucose (see: gluconeogenesis) and insulin is a hormone responsible not only for lowering your BG but also for converting food energy into fat.
See attached - bear in mind I am type 1 - Dr Bernstein's diabetes solution works.
Hi just want to ask isn't being in acidosis while being type one kind of risky? I wanted to try cut on carbs and replace them with proteins but many people warned me that i could end up in a coma is there some website or book in wich i could find more information?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi just want to ask isn't being in acidosis while being type one kind of risky? I wanted to try cut on carbs and replace them with proteins but many people warned me that i could end up in a coma is there some website or book in wich i could find more information?
Ketoacidosis (dangerous) is quite different to ketosis (safe). Blood sugar levels alongside either moderate or scary bgl are the obvious identifiers which is which. Low and low =ok. High and high = bad. Lower carbs allows lower insulin therefore less overshoot potential therefore fewer and more mild hypos, all giving more time in range is the basic theory.

I’ll let other type 1’s explain how they apply it though. Type 1 grit (or something similar) is a Facebook group that do keto with type 1 so that might be somewhere to look whilst waiting on someone here. Also look up dr Bernstein. A type 1 himself who follows low carb and advocates it.

Reactions: Petra4.4

Petra4.4

Ketoacidosis (dangerous) is quite different to ketosis (safe). Blood sugar levels alongside either moderate or scary bgl are the obvious identifiers which is which. Low and low =ok. High and high = bad. Lower carbs allows lower insulin therefore less overshoot potential therefore fewer and more mild hypos, all giving more time in range is the basic theory.

I’ll let other type 1’s explain how they apply it though. Type 1 grit (or something similar) is a Facebook group that do keto with type 1 so that might be somewhere to look whilst waiting on someone here. Also look up dr Bernstein. A type 1 himself who follows low carb and advocates it.
Thanks for explanation. I'll be sure to check it out because I tought it was impossible for type 1 to practice ketosis.

deszcznocity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for explanation. I'll be sure to check it out because I tought it was impossible for type 1 to practice ketosis.
It is possible to be type 1 and be in ketosis. You just need to know what you are doing. I have been following dr Bernstein's protocol which is NOT high fat low carb. He recommends moderate protein plus whatever fat comes with it plus green leafy vegetables for phytonutrients and fiber. Here's my latest Libre screen shot:
W6jM1Hl
https://imgur.com/W6jM1Hl [/IMG]
W6jM1Hl

Reactions: Petra4.4

Petra4.4

It is possible to be type 1 and be in ketosis. You just need to know what you are doing. I have been following dr Bernstein's protocol which is NOT high fat low carb. He recommends moderate protein plus whatever fat comes with it plus green leafy vegetables for phytonutrients and fiber. Here's my latest Libre screen shot:
W6jM1Hl
https://imgur.com/W6jM1Hl [/IMG]
W6jM1Hl
Wow so jealous ... In a good way of course. I haven't had BG that stable since maybe February - that' when started quarantine and everytging shut down for months. Also is the protocol available online? Since I don't live UK and rly want to learn more